main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussions Have you bought the new stuff? If not why not?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Ganner, Aug 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    I've bought basically everything to come out after the buyout.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Hm, I'll tell my story. I was obviously upset about the reboot, but I tried giving it a chance. I read A New Dawn when it came out. Eh. It was okay. Decided to watch Rebels. Gross. Kiddie nonsense. Didn't consume any NuCanon until TFA. TFA sunk my interest. I haven't cared for the NuCanon since. I liked Rogue One and I'll pick up a story if it appeals to me (Anything containing Special Forces. Thank you BF2!). In general, no. I don't buy NuCanon. I bought Shattered Empire- hated it. I'm sticking with renting everything, as it seems rather hit and miss to me. I don't read NuCanon stories unless I have a reason. I'm not desperate for Star Wars stories. There's still plenty of EU stories I have left to read.

3. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I bought Lost Stars hard cover.
    Wasn't planning to. When it first came out I avoided it because it was labeled as YA. Then people started talking about how evil Nash was when they talked about the Japanese manga version of the book. Charlemaagne19 convinced me to read it.
    Liked it enough after reading the ebook version I decided to buy it in hard cover.
    The book broke me and for a week or two, and made me confused, I was very depressed.
    Now I am better.

If you ask me if I would buy another NuCanon novel, YA or adult, the answer is no.
    In my headcanon Lost Stars is part of the EU, not NuCanon.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  4. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    The book broke you haha, It was a gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood book. I wish Claudia could've been a star wars writer for longer.

5. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Well it was a sugar bullet. The wound was almost fatal.
    I still feel bad about Ciena Ree, and I still commend her fighting spirit and her loyalty.
    But I see the true face of the Empire now.
    Not to say that the NuNR is any better.

SithOverlord101 likes this.
  6. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    She wrote Bloodline, is writing Princess Leia of Alderaan, and will be writing a story for From a Certain Point of View.

7. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    I meant farther back in the past.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I stopped buying/reading the EU well before the reboot (didn't bother finishing FOTJ, didn't touch much of anything else after), and I haven't had the slightest interest in the NEU. Two poor Disney Star Wars movies (TFA and RO) and another show run by Dave Filoni (that I haven't bothered watching) haven't provoked any interest in the NEU, either. If anything, they've turned me off, when something better might have rekindled my interest.

Abadacus likes this.
  9. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    You know the saying the opposite of hatred is ignorance? Well, I feel bad for all of them EU characters. They don't exist!

10. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    You should give Claudia Gray's books a chance. Bloodline is my favorite Leia centered book from either EU or NEU, I would recommend it even if you don't care for the new movies.

UnshavenWookie14 likes this.
  11. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    I've kept up on all of the new comics. I loved the pencils and colors in the Lando, Han Solo, and Darth Maul minis and in the Kanan series. I also enjoyed the coloring in Obi-Wan & Anakin. Of the current ongoings, I find Doctor Aphra to be the most entertaining. There is a Mace Windu mini coming up; I hope the Jedi of the Republic title it falls under becomes it own series of minis, featuring other fan favorites.

I have a MASSIVE backlog of Dark Horse comics I still need to read. The reboot was a perfect chance for me to start collecting issues as they come out and stay on top of everything released by Marvel, at least.

Jedha John and spicer like this.
  12. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I buy the odd thing that attracts me, but nothing really as I ran out of room years ago!!!

Sent from my X Wing via sub space.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I have not,because in my heart I still long for the old canon.

Space_Wolf likes this.
  14. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I still prefer the material before Disney took over and I think I always will do. For two main reasons, really. The first is that I dislike the fact that they threw out everything done in the EU before Disney took over, and then..... cherry picked stuff they liked and brought it back. Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, Ben Skywalker and countless other characters are an important part of the Star Wars universe. I can understand Disney not wanting to retell the same stories that we've read in the novels, but getting rid of the characters doesn't make sense to me.

The second reason is that the Force Awakens is a mess. I don't want to go into that storyline because I hate it.

I liked Rogue One, though (even if some of the scenes in it were inaccurate, like the massive Rebel fleet - they don't get that until Jedi, and that's because all the Rebels come together.). I have bought the things related to that. If they bring out anything to do with the Prequels and anything more during the Rebellion Era, I shall probably buy that, too, if it catches my eye. These things don't really change the later storyline and have the possibility of fitting in with the Old Canon.

15. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    I started losing interest in the EU during Fate of the Jedi. The story didn't capture my interest fully so I didn't run to the book store to buy the new releases. I think Christie Golden's entries were three of the weakest with Omen being the worst SW novel written. Her terrible writing was the catalyst that gave me permission to cease reading the EU. I never got around to reading Crucible even though Denning is one of my favorite SW authors. The advent of the Disney era seemed like a good opportunity to jump ship. My literary interests had been leaning more toward classic literature for years anyway. I also wanted to sample some of the other fantasy novels that I never got around to reading because of my obsession with SW during my teens and early twenties. I read the novelization of The Force Awakens but it didn't impress me enough to sample any more of the new canon.

16. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    I instantly pre-ordered Thrawn when it was announced (cause Timothy Zahn). It was ok, but definitely not one of his best works. Will wait for reviews before I buy his new SW material, if he ever writes any.

I tried to like NEU really hard, but most of it (I'm looking at you, character-name-title novels with minimal plot) didn't strike my fancy. TFA was too cringeworthy, soulless ANH rehash to care, but Rogue One rekindled my hope for good storytelling in SW again, so I got Catalyst. It's a bit of a filler, but a pretty good read to get into the workings of the Empire from a perspective of little folks. That and Bloodline would probably be the only NEU novels worth investing your dollars/euros/credits into (haven't read Leia yet so I can't judge. Phasma was too inconsequential and uninteresting in TFA for me to pick up the book).

17. Pacified_llama

Pacified_llama Jedi Master star 3

Sep 15, 2017
    Some points about all this over on a similar but slightly different thread have been made here.

There's a lot of stuff that appears 'inconsequential' - partly because those of us who read the old EU got used to reading novels that were holding the chronology post-ROTJ all by themselves, without the support of the films. It's a different type of continuity altogether, but one that is sort of necessary while the ST is ongoing - after all, the films need to assert their primacy.

I don't think I could ever say that any fault is really on account of authorial style, though; great authors are working on the new stuff.

18. Sanguinius

Sanguinius Jedi Knight

Mar 1, 2017
    It's a mix between my disappointment with TFA and the first Aftermath book leaving a bad taste and while I do wish the new canon well but I'm not getting great vibes and nothing has really pulled me into it. Maybe after its grown into its own more I'll revisit.

19. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I've bought both of the new films and assorted Rebels episodes (season finales, etc.) and a few collectibles.

As far as novels, which used to constitute the vast majority of my Star Wars acquisitions, I've bought two books: A New Dawn and Bloodline. Neither of them felt like they'd been worth the purchase once I read them. At this point, I'm mostly into watching the films and hoping that the next TV show interests me more than Rebels.

The movies have me pretty excited because I think that they've been good so far and it's great to be able to look forward to good Star Wars at the cinema, but outside of that I'm not too impressed with what the franchise has become.

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I read most of the old EU books up to the first of the Bounty Hunter War books and a few of the NJO. IMO, those books jumped the shark and I had no interest in continuing. I haven't read any reviews of the new stuff that could convince me that they're not more of the same, so I have yet to buy any of it. I've never seen Rebels either, except for a few clips on the web that failed to entice me.

21. GrandAdmiralVarlexx

GrandAdmiralVarlexx Jedi Knight

Dec 1, 2010
    My EU started with West End Games sourcebooks and supplements. I picked up the novels from the very beginning and stuck with it until the bitter end. I have very mixed feelings about "Legends" and the new cannon. Just like anybody else that had any investment in the old EU, they hold a near and dear place in my heart. They satisfied that itch during the dark times when it seemed a realistic idea that there would never be another Star Wars movie.

On the other hand, I've got a son and daughter and the new stuff is their universe. They get that same feeling I got out of the old EU. I've tried to supplement that with my old collection, but I can't fault them for going all in on the Disney stuff. I've picked up some of the new stuff. I've thought most were decent, though I struggled mightily with Aftermath (mainly because of the writing style). But in the end it's all still Star Wars, something I've been mesmerized with since seeing ESTB in theaters all those years ago.

22. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I stopped buying SW novels around the time of the Swarm War Trilogy. From what I've read about Legacy and Fate, I didn't miss much. I like the Force Awakens and Rogue One, but I have next-to-no interest in the Disney EU.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I’ve every Legends novel and YA novel, ditto Canon save for one YA novel thus far.

I’m working through Legends computer games and comics, while dipping in Canon trade paperback for the comics off and on when they finish their arc and get a pretty hardback (e.g. Shattered Empire or Kanan).

I also own all the Clone Wars series and will own all of Rebels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amon_Amarth and Dagobahsystem like this.
  24. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I always was selective with the old EU, largely Kenobi based material or John Ostrander and Jan Durrsema’s work (prefer comics to the novels and tv shows); so it is the same with NuEU.

Not a fan of Jason Aaron, but I capitulated and read the three Obi-Wan-centric issues of SW: they were pretty good. I liked the Obi-Wan and Anakin limited series too. Ditto Guardians of the Whills. That book had its moments.

I miss Dark Horse comics most of all. Everything I read (and reread) feels like SW and was solid story-wise. I do not get that with NuEU. So I pass for the most part.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  25. Your Pal Friendpatine

Your Pal Friendpatine Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2017
    I've only read Thrawn (which I found kind of disappointing) and Tarkin (which I enjoyed). I picked up From A Certain Point Of View but haven't gotten to it yet. There are a few others that I'm interested in but I guess those 2 are the only ones I've read even though I've been doing a lot of Star Wars reading. But I've mostly been re-reading some old EU that it had been so long I needed a refresher like the old Han Solo/Lando Calrissian Adventures and the Han Solo Trilogy, plus some that I just never got around to like Scoundrels and a couple of those "Tales From..." anthologies.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.