main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anyone Else Think Inferno Squad Is Weird? (not the story but the actual concept)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Ganner, Aug 1, 2017.

1. The Ganner

The Ganner Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2015
    So basically Inferno Squad is supposed to be a special forces unit, but it only consists of four people. In legends we got the Republic Commando, and SpecForce and Storm Commandos, and sooooo many more, but these groups weren't limited to the people inside of it rather that it was a HUGE group of special forces instead of four people. Also the fact that they all aren't very particularly insanely good at something, and they all aren't in commando shape. It just seems weird to me, and makes the universe feel a bit smaller.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Absolutely. Was it ever confirmed Inferno was unique? If that's the case, then WTF? I had a hunch that they would go that uber-minimalist route. God why? That doesn't make any sense. Even the Alpha ARCs were one hundred in strength and that was for a reason. Lord I've been studying special forces in Star Wars for years and this baffles me. This isn't how special forces work. Squads aren't special- they're one of many. Why would the Empire ever make a unique team?

3. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Yeah Inferno Squad Is unique.

4. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Inferno Squad is Admiral Versio's little pet project, and they function like a four-person Mara Jade. The Admiral's Hand, so to speak. There's bigger groups doing other things too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Mara Jade and the Hand of Judgement came to mind when I read the first post.

Daneira likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Out of universe, it's a nice reversion of the small groups the Rebel heroes usually use.

In universe, it's a vanity project.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015

Exactly this.

But otherwise, yeah, it doesn't make much sense to create only 4 person special forces.

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  8. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I was surprised that there was no mention of the "other" Imperial Special Force, the one Kolar "the Depopulator" Ludd belonged to.

9. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Daneira That makes a lot of sense, thanks for putting it more into perspective. I hadn't thought about it like that.

Daneira likes this.
  10. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    GOD...Star Wars is sooo unrealistic...newsflash at 10!

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

11. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Stymi
    Always the most helpful!

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Let's play nice, people.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Jeez. I was just going for a light, breezy sarcasm...not any kind of malevolent intent.

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

14. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Sorry. There's unrealistic things that are fine, but I think military structure should be realistic.

Nickname320 likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Lol. gamer sure likes to make 'Anyone else' threads. In anycase there is nothing wrong with writing stories that focus on small individual untits. And the point of the book anyways is for us to get to know a little bit of the backstory for the characters in the upcoming video game.

SpecForce Trooper Inferno Squad is doing Heist operations for Admiral Versio. Not sure why you feel it is so unbelievable. The military and government does undercover work in real life as well.

16. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    jamminjedi23
    That's not the point though. The problem isn't that one squad is the focus. That's good. The problem is that they're the only squad of their kind. Imagine if Delta Squad were the only Republic Commandos in existence.

17. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Are you sure that they're the only squad of their kind. Or is that just something you are assuming and is not actually said?

18. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    It's what the people in the thread are saying.

19. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    No they're the only squad of their kind they actually make the name Inferno Squad in the book.

20. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just because they gave themselves a unique name doesn't mean there aren't other military groups in the Empire doing similar things. Heck we already know of a Scar Squadron around that same time period.

J_K_DART likes this.
  21. SpecForce Trooper

Jun 19, 2016
    Inferno is ISB, I believe. Task Force 99 is surely Army, and probably 501st at that.

CooperTFN likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    They are not the only special forces or commando unit in the Galactic Empire.

They're a particular ISB officer's hand-picked unit meant to accomplish his particular objectives.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

J_K_DART, Ventrix and Daneira like this.
  23. The Ganner

Jan 20, 2015
    Thats not what im saying, I acknowledge that there are other special forces groups, but having a bunch of unique groups, that dont have more than one squad is an odd choice.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It's not clear that any other units follow the particulars of Inferno. The small size appeared to be something of Papa Versio's own devising.

We simply can't say whether or not it's unique or a consistent practice.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

J_K_DART likes this.
  25. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    MercenaryAce and J_K_DART like this.