main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
  2. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    From the interview Darth_Voider linked:

There's the problem right there. Maybe he doesn't need to be that fast in order to shine? I've said it before and I'll say it again since I don't want to be misunderstood - Larocca can be an amazing artist through and through, I am certain of that. But, almost everything he's done in Star Wars so far feels exactly like stated by Gillen - rushed. Please give Larocca more time. It's perfectly fine to switch artists every few issues, and it won't be the end of the world if we have to wait 2-3 months between issues. Thanks for your consideration Marvel.

3. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Awww yeaahhh
    Awww yeaahhh x2. These quotes, issue #34's Lando/Sana cover, and issue #37's SCAR Squadron cover have all made me excited again to be following the main SW line.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The way to do it is pair artists with complimentary but distinct styles and flip between them, Marvel's done this as far back as the early part of Brubaker's Captain America run.

5. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Interesting read. This interview makes me think that we aren't going to have three or more years worth of comics before we get to ESB. He says several times about getting things to ESB and getting Luke to the point where he was in ESB. I think we may infact have a relaunch of the series within the next couple years and they will then start filling in the time period from ESB to ROTJ.

spicer it seems that Marvel feels that getting the story out there is more important than making sure the quality of the art is as high as it could possibly be.

6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Which, with all due respect to Marvel, it's a shame if that is indeed the case (of course we can't know for sure, unless you have some inside info ;)). It would be a shame because for the comic book medium, the art should be as important as the story. The combination of art and story is what draws me to comics. If the story is the only important thing, then we might just stick to novels - no art necessary that way.

Ben09, starfish, Senpezeco and 3 others like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Heh, yeah - I do find it odd in a way that people say they don't read comics for the art. If that's so, why bother? Stick to books as you'll be paying for at least 50% of the product you don't care about.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I can see the argument for liking Superheroes so you read comics despite not caring for the medium, but SW is not even primarily a comic thing. To be honest I was less about art when I started reading comics, but the deeper I got into the fandom the more I picked on on panelling and art to the point that now I will buy things for the artist. I mean art is pretty important in sequential art

Jedi Ben and tatooinesandworm like this.
  9. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Because it is Star Wars. Star Wars isn't an original comic medium. It's a story that came to the comic medium due to the scheer popularity of it. For those that want to get as much of the Star Wars story as they can getting comics is a good chunk of that.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Factoid: in Marvel's original comic run, by issue #39 it was The adaptation of The Empire Strikes Back, which does signal if anything a creative shift in the book. So by issue #38 in their 2nd run, it's another creative shift. But the book is still pre-Battle of Hoth. I really do think issue #50 / restart at #1 will be when it flips to post Bespin.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Gillen saying that Luke has gone about as far as he can go in exploring his Jedi Powers before Empire would definitely lead us to believe they have the post ESB time period in site.

Revanfan1 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'd love if Gillen did a ESB-in-one-shot kind of thing, not an adaptation exactly but maybe the events of the movie from a distinct POV. Cuz it would be weird to completely skip over the events of ESB.

Of course, I'm also a fan of ending the run on the series with simply a title card "To Be Continued In ... The Empire Strikes Back!"

13. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I would move to see a one-shot or maybe even arc explaining what Sana did during the events of TESB (considering they don't kill her off before TESB). They could even do this as a crossover with Dr. Aphra.

Yeah, Marvel, please give us the misadventures of Sana and Aphra during TESB.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    They are having a Sana and Lando one shot here coming up (believe it might be the next issue). Maybe Lando offers her some work and that is why she isn't around the group in the post Empire time period?

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Thing is if you say you just want the writing from comics, the art is part of that! It's a combination of the two, not just the words. It's like saying you like TV only for the talking, the imagery is ehhh, you can take or leave - well, in that case, radio is your natural medium then.

As for SW, it may have started off in film, but it was one of the first to really go multimedia - comics, books, games, toys, music.

16. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Technically started as a comic ;)

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

vncredleader and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    So as a comic fan who only buys hardcovers I love fantasizing about future hardcover collections. Some of these ideas are pretty unlikely to ever happen, but it's still fun for me to think about. Here's my ideas for what Marvel could do that would work really well:
    (spoiler tagged because its kind of long and I didn't want people to see it without first knowing it just my ideas and isn't actual news)
    Star Wars: Darth Maul HC
    Collecting Darth Maul #1-5 and Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1-4
    This one I think has a good chance and is definitely my most wanted hardcover. The fact they reprinted Son of Dathomir with their own Darth Maul logo on the cover suggests to me this may be

Star Wars: Jedi of the Republic Volume 1 HC
    Collecting Obi-Wan & Anakin #1-5 and Jedi of the Republic: Mace Windu #1-5
    We've all been waiting for an oversized HC collection of the Obi-Wan & Anakin series, and I think grouping it with Mace Windu would be perfect. This is another HC I would buy in an instant.

Star Wars: Volume 3 HC
    Collecting Star Wars #26-30, 33-37, Annual #2-3
    I debated with myself a lot over whether the Screaming Citadel should be included here or in the Doctor Aphra HC, and I decided not to include it here because I felt it drives Aphra's story forward but is unlikely to have any impact on this series going forward.

Star Wars: Doctor Aphra Volume 1 HC
    Collecting Doctor Aphra #1-14, Annual #1, The Screaming Citadel #1, and Star Wars #31-32
    I might be a little overzealous in including the contents of three TPBs, but I think it would be great to have "year one" of Aphra all in one HC.

Star Wars: Rise of the First Order Omnibus HC
    Collecting Poe Dameron #1-25? and Captain Phasma #1-4
    I'll admit this one is really outlandish, but I think it would work so well. Poe Dameron gives you the lead up to episode 7 and then Phasma picks up shortly after where it leaves off and brings it to episode 8. It seems Marvel has no interest in a Poe Dameron volume 1, so I'm thinking an omnibus is the only chance we've got at a hardcover release of the series. They could also just do a Poe Dameron omnibus, but the Phasma series is far too short to ever get a release of it's own so I hope they would include it.

candymove, Old Rex and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, it's a nice wishlist.

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I like that detail of the ground splitting. I'm curious how she got off the planet so fast.

21. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah Issue #1 is definitely going to start from basically being nabbed by Chewie and going straight through to TLJ cuz I'm assuming when TLJ starts she'll probably be standing with the F.O. like nothing happened. So this is basically the only real Journey from Force Awakens to The Last Jedi content out there. Everything else seems to be pre TFA.

22. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I would love it if during ESB Sana is helping the escaped fleet. Like maybe her and Wedge go on wacky adventures while everyone else suffers. Like we cut to them being chased by like 2 stormies and they're like "man we have it so much worse than everyone else" and then we cut to at that very moment Luke getting his hand cut off. Then again Wedge's bromance sense might be tingling when that happens to Luke

Calling back to a classic Iron Man cover, now THAT is how you get me to chase down a variant.

Darth_Voider likes this.
  23. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Another interview with Kieron Gillen about where he is taking the Star Wars series. I liked the interview and I'm getting really optimistic about his run. I love that it will be focusing more on the military side of the Rebellion.

http://www.cbr.com/interview-star-wars-kieron-gillen/

Darth Nave and tatooinesandworm like this.
  24. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    Nice! Gillen is taking the series in the direction I wanted when it was announced! I can't wait. Everything I hear makes me more excited for this.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. Darth_Voider

May 4, 2015
    I'm just wondering what will happen with Sana since Gillen does not mention her. I hope Aaron doesn't kill her off in his last issue (the one about Scar Squadrons DEADLIEST attack).

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk