main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #1-6: The Chosen One (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    Kirak shouts to Vader that the people living below the dam have nothing to do with their fight, that it is not about them. Vader retorts that their duel is about the others... because their lives matter to Kirak.

As you said Vader uses Kirak's compassion as just another tool in his arsenal during their duel and to make him suffer.

2. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Geez, that was equally brutal and fantastic.

Love the tactical side of Vader. He knows he isn't 100% and is still not used to the suit, so why not drown the city as a distraction to let him strangle Infil'a while forcing him to watch? Perfectly Sith.

Why do I have a sinking feeling about the girl Infil'a was considering training? I worry she may have survived and might be a prime candidate for an Inquisition...

spicer likes this.
  3. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    unless she can breathe di-hydrogen monoxide, I seriously doubt it.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

cwustudent likes this.
  4. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010

Ah forgot to include my thought she could have gotten into Infil'a's ship. Her parents were working on it after all.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Do we know when Issue #5 will be released? There's been no date set for it.

6. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    9/6/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #5
    10/4/2017 Darth Vader: Dark Lord of the Sith #6

7. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007

Five weeks apart and then four weeks apart. A marked change from the three-week cycles we've been seeing so far.

8. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    Now that Vader has a lightsaber, it will be interesting to see how he makes its hilt nearly 1:1 replica of his Jedi blade and who the first Jedi he kills it with is (my hope is that it's somebody we know). Going forward though, I would like to see him do things other than hunt Jedi, because that could get boring quickly. So far the comic is excellent though, and Master Infi'la was an imposing challenge. I like how Vader bested him by forcing him to succumb to his more compassionate instincts.

9. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    So, Vader gets damaged by his opponent and ultimately wins. Basically, like every other Vader story during this time period, except it was spread over 2 issues instead of told in one.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Yup, typical Vader weekly genocide story.

revan772 likes this.
  11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Kieron Gillen and Matt Martin from Lucasfilm Story Group talk about Darth Vader #4

12. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    I know this is the Vader thread, but Kieron's comments about his upcoming Star Wars run have me absolutely excited! thanks for posting the video.

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, I don't think there's much scope for 'Vader loses' stories, which might be the point. That come ANH Vader has had over a decade and a half of victory after victory, he likely considers the Battle of Yavin a foregone conclusion because none can match him.

Then it all goes very wrong and Sid is massively pissed off because of it.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    The Dark Horse Vader stories handled him very well.

spicer likes this.
  15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    But they didn't do that many stories with him, they were quite careful.

spicer likes this.
  16. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Hmmm I was wxpecting more issues with Infil'a.. that was too quick :/

17. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    The current story of
    Vader fighting Kirak, a surviving Jedi, and killing him in a "classic" manner
    is following the same formula as three of the four Purge stories. They don't have way too much depth in terms of characterization and story (although they aren't completely lacking either), but they have that "cool factor". So far we haven't had too many stories where the main focus is simply Vader killing Jedi. In total there are just five, including this one - Purge: Last Stand of the Jedi, Seconds to Die&The Hidden Blade; Extinction; and, this one. All of the aforementioned constitute for 6-7 standard comic book issues. There are of course other stories where Vader fights Jedi, but they are different, as they are not focusing completely on Vader (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader), focus very little on Vader (Dark Times, Coruscant Nights), or they handle the Vader vs Jedi story in a unique and pretty unexpected way (Purge: The Tyrant's Fist).

So far so good when it comes to the new Darth Vader by Marvel. But, if it continues with a Jedi of the week story arc after arc, then I'll agree with most of you that we're repeating the same stuff. I really hope that this series introduces an original character that we can follow along Vader, just like the previous series had Aphra. We need a character(s) that we're going to be invested in and not know their fate. That's not possible with Vader alone. Perhaps a new inquisitor character? Just my opinion.

18. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    Go on, please.

19. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Your avatar complements your comment perfectly ;)

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Anyone else think the next issue will end with Vader striding onto the bridge of a star wars destroyer overlooking the in construction death star? ;)

21. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    I really hope so, that would be very fitting.

Vialco and SilentGuy66 like this.
  22. Vialco

Mar 6, 2007
    A pair of Sith Lords stand on the bridge of a Star Destroyer with a Sector Governor named Tarkin and survey the growing skeleton of a spherical battle station the size of a moon.

The long night has begun....

23. tatooinesandworm

Jul 30, 2015
    Sorry, blech. Already done at the end of ROTS. I want to see the end of the issue have Vader destroying some kind of Jedi memento from his past, with his brand new red saber.

24. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I suppose it does! Well, now I can't revert to my quizzical-Anakin avatar.

As interesting as Vader is, he's still immortal in a sense, as is the Grand Inquisitor (who should arrive soon). I agree with your opinion that a mortal character would help the series. Without that risk, the series becomes a vehicle for world-building only. A lower-ranked Inquisitor has potential. But my mind instinctively asks, "Why is ____ absent later?" (Example: Ahsoka during TCW). It would also be important to make that character likeable! I'm open to the idea, of course. I'm just curious how I could finding myself cheering for an Inquisitor.

SilentGuy66 and spicer like this.
  25. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Wow! What an issue. Really loved it. Read it so fast I had to read it twice.

Anakin has been Vader for such a short time, maybe I would have liked to see some of his Clone Wars heroism seep back in, rather than mass murder so soon after becoming Vader, but hey, minor niggle. Sith Lords gotta Sith.

I doubt it's going to be 'Jedi of the Week'. But a little Jedi slaughter every now and then suits me fine.

BigAl6ft6 and Rickleo123 like this.