main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Boyega, like all hype men, is fun to read but should be taken with a few grains of salt.

2. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I feel no shame in rolling with the hype from the actor of one of my fav characters in the saga that I love.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  3. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Just saying, he's under contract and has been given a narrative to push by the studio. "Fresh and new, new and fresh." That's fine and standard. But he did the same on the lead up to TFA's release, then afterward made comments suggesting less than total satisfaction with Finn's story.

4. cronus33

cronus33 Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005

Please, no time travel. Please...

Avnar and cwustudent like this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    "They're introducing new things, it's gonna be fresh."

"Oh my god, it's going to be stuff I specifically don't want, isn't it??"

"We really wanted to respect what came before, and evoke the previous movies."

"Oh my god, why do they just do the same stuff, can't they do anything new?"

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i kind of like the idea of time travel or alternate universes just because i feel it could actually make rey's backstory rather cool since it feels like she has the luke childhood gone wrong. and if she's related to luke/leia i feel like the alternate reality route actually has a lot of potential. it's this feeling like her life was supposed to be something different. kylo's life was supposed to be different. snoke bent reality with his mastery of the dark side. and only luke knows. i think that story would be rather cool.

7. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    The closest I can see to any kind of time travel would be a SW take on the three-eyed Raven's ability to walk through the past/ time. I would be fine with that. IN a way, we've already seen it with Rey being at Bespin and the aftermath of the massacre etc. If that was an unfiltered, overwhelming experience for Rey, perhaps with Luke's teaching she can control it better.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, I'm in full agreement that time travel and Star Wars mix like chocolate and cyanide, but it's super presumptuous to jump to "God, I hope THIS crap doesn't happen!" with, like, zero indication that that's something anyone at Lucasfilm is even considering.

Luke'sSeveredHand, Xael, EHT and 2 others like this.
  9. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Practical effects...real sets...practical effects...real sets...

KembaSkywalker and cwustudent like this.
  10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    In fairness, that did turn out to be true. Hopefully "fresh and new" is as well.

11. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Ah, JJ always said there was a ton of CG as well. And they did go far more in camera than had been the case by the end of the PT. It was a fair appraisal of the course correction. And from what I hear, this will be the case too. TLJ will be bold. I love TFA, but TLJ won't make TFA's mistakes (though it could make new ones I guess).

Xael and ThreeDeathstickProblem like this.
  12. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Most likely fake but a guy on 4Chan was claiming Phasma kills Leia and Kylo cuts Phasma hands.

13. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Well we know Driver and Carrie were on set together in the throne room set from the BTS video.

14. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I just wish they'd been a bit more careful in the phrasing of it. Even Daisy noted at the end of an interview where she was praising TLJ's originality that her words might get twisted by the media into her "shading" JJ and TFA. And a lot of people felt TFA did bring "fresh and new" ideas to the table, though I'm expecting TLJ will push things a lot further.

At the same time, no matter how original the film will prove, I'm bracing for the fact that any callbacks will be excessively noted and overly criticized. It's become a pastime for a segment of fans. Rian is following immediately upon TFA, which naturally requires continuing some elements of it, and all elements of TFA have been bashed at one point or another.

But thus far Rian seems like he's not being a reactionary director. The Praetorian are an example of that IMO. The recent toy leaks specifically named Snoke and the FO's obsession with aping the Emperor/Empire as the origin for the design of the guards. Some fans have ripped TFA for choosing to make the FO Empire fanboys, and Rian could have **** on that idea and received their praise for ignoring it. Instead he acknowledged continuity to the point of adding red throne room guards and beefed up AT-ATs to the film.

Xael likes this.
  15. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Yeah. I mean, it's still going to be a SW movie at the end of the day.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i complain a lot about TFA's overabundance of call-backs, but it doesn't bother me that snoke and the FO are copying the empire - it makes sense for a variety of reasons. my complaints always center around what made me tired and bored, or when i felt the nostalgia went too far. if i were to make a list of which call-backs i would have removed, or which things i would have just made different, i think it wouldn't be an incredibly long list. some of it would be that some of the call-backs are effective or have meaning and it's apparent in TFA alone, whereas for others it may be later apparent. i would consider it trimming them a bit so they are not so in-your-face rather than purging them all. i prefer a more subtle approach to these things.

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    I remember the one where Hux stabs Leia in the back [face_dunno]

18. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Yeah! Why is Luke on the Antagonist poster? :confused:

The first poster has Luke and Rey, with all red background. Now we have Luke presented(most prominently) among the baddies. We also have the only piece of released Luke dialogue: "It's time for the Jedi to end". I am not liking how Luke is being portrayed with TLJ. This better not be what the Cast means, when they say TLJ is going to surprise a lot of people. :rolleyes:

ChildOfWinds and nightangel like this.
  19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Nah, don't think they have the guts to go that far.. I dunno through...

20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i kind of said this already but i think it makes sense that luke is on both posters as he is the great legend of TLJ, so ofc he is on every poster, and taking up a lot of space. also i remember vader used to be really large and in the background on posters. he was the darkness looming over luke's journey (at first). if kylo is like dark luke, who is the "enemy presence" looming over his journey? luke.

anyway, luke is a big deal in TLJ, which is even named in reference to him. he will appear on everything.

eta: also as luke is teacher for both rey and kylo, his presence is significant to both in a similar way.

21. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998

Kylo and Snoke are on the hero poster.

cwustudent and oncafar like this.
  22. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    Please not, would be the worst thing happening in my life and biggest disappointment. :rolleyes:

By the way it would not leave me shocked and only digusted and angry + leaving the franchise. :rolleyes:

Baron_Papanerd and B99 like this.
  23. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Turning Luke the baddie of the ST would need a more than perfect execution in order to work well.

Still, that hooded figure Snoke talks to in his SD...

IncessantRamblings likes this.
  24. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    Does anyone remember that Ralph McQuarrie picture with a devil looking creature and he looks like he's conversing with a woman who suspiciously looks like a young Leia. I keep thinking of that image a lot especially after that lego picture came out. Mainly because people said it was not star wars but something else. I can't find it but I know it was posted on these boards ages ago.

25. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What hooded figure?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.