main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo The Tone/Genre Of Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Gamma626, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Gonk Droid

Gonk Droid Jedi Knight star 1

May 7, 2017
    Whilst there's always room for humour and Han's sarcasm I would love this film to focus on his murkier side. It would be great to get a feel of those wretched hives of scum and villainy that Han Solo no doubt frequents. I think this film would be a great opportunity to introduce us to new villains and criminals, ultimately giving us a richer insight and understanding of the SW underworld.

2. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    The first Young Guns. Western with a bunch of talented rookies in over their heads.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Since it's Han Solo, I don't imagine it being too dark, but I don't want it to be as kid-friendly as Ewoks or Gungans (not that I have a problem with either). Should have no cliffhangers or major loose ends.

4. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    In terms of tone, I'm hoping for a varied, Book of Henry-style vibe.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  5. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Blocked and reported.

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Something like Raiders of the Lost Ark, but in space.

Mostly Handless and AndyLGR like this.
  7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    A hoot please.

Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    From all the spy shots, they don't seem to be going the hypercolour GotG angle. They're sticking with the new movie "realism and dirt" visuals.
    Of course we haven't seen spyshots of whatever CGI they've created. No telephoto camera shots through ILM's office windows.

9. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I hope that's the case. More Western, less GotG. No need to compete with GotG in the over the top self-aware space comedy department.

10. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    And permabanned.

11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'm still here!

*runs away*

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Quiet you!

13. I just hope it's not 100% comedy I agree with this movie should have comedy, but I do not want this movie to be a Guardian of the Galaxy 2.0

I think the tone of the movie should have the tone of an Indiana Jones

14. kip73

kip73 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    For sure, completely agree.

15. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I actually think a Han Solo movie should be less outright comedic than many other potential Star Wars movies. Rather, it should show us the seedy side of the galaxy. Even the scary side, with criminal gangs, bounty hunters, etc.
    And Han was never a comedic character. Funny, yes, but in a sarcastic way.
    That's why I'm actually quite relieved that Lord and Miller are no longer directing. They always seemed wrong for the film to me.

I want at least parts of this film to be similar to the Nar Shadaa scenes in Dark Empire (or was it Dark Empire II?).

16. 2old2Bhere

2old2Bhere Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 8, 2014
    I would think more of a "Top Gun" tone. Hot shot kid pilot begrudgingly realizes he cant do everything "solo" and befriends Chewie like Maverick learns to fly with a wingman and befriends Iceman. Thus setting him up to be willing to help Luke in ANH. By Georges own words "Han is a loner who realizes the importance of being part of a group and helping for the common good.” (even though they walked him away from this lesson in TFA and destroyed his character development).

17. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They should exploit Han's dark sarcastic humor, he should be very cocky and a bit of a laser brain. Witty jokes and quick remarks. And should keep the fan service away, this means:

Don't make Han shoot first, then say something like 'I always shoot first'

Don't make the rest of the characters call the wrong parsecs, just to make Han yell 'twelve!' over and over

And please, no 'I love you, I know' stuff. It's funny on ESB where it belongs.

You can leave the 'bad feeling about this' quote though :)

Please come up with new jokes. That's what new stories are all about. Otherwise I'll grab my blu rays and watch Harrison do his thing.

Sarge likes this.
  18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
  19. QsAssistant

QsAssistant Jedi Master star 3

Apr 13, 2011
    I'm okay with the standalone Han Solo movie being the funniest Star Wars yet, as long as it's not a comedy and as long as Han isn't like Ace Ventura. In fact I hope most of the comedic elements come from the other characters.

11-4D, Mostly Handless and Sarge like this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Simple Han Solo formula for me. Make a grounded film with characters that are funny scoundrels.

11-4D likes this.
  21. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    I hope it's basically My Name is Nobody, set in AGFFA, with a theme song that also has a lot of flute.

Sarge and Gigoran Monk like this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    As long as there is no breaking the fourth wall/ self-parodying (ala GOTG), I am all for this film being wall-to-wall funny.

23. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Speaking of that.... in Jabba's palace, did Lando break the fourth wall when he revealed/exposed his moustache to the audience? It was like Lando wanted the audience to know he was the inside man, but he wasn't sure if people would recognize him by just the upper part of his face. Would this be merely scratching the fourth wall, since he didn't look into the camera or speak to us?
    I wouldn't mind a scene in the Han movie where Lando is at a gaming table with a hand of cards up to his face, and then he slowly pulls the cards down just enough for us to see his moustache, and then he slowly raises the cards back up.

24. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I'm hoping it has a tone similar to "The Wonder Years" or "A Christmas Story," with Harrison Ford providing the voice over narration as he looks back on Han's younger years.

Sarge and Siphonophore like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I'd say that's a pretty tiny scratch. But generally, yeah, I'd avoid even moments like that. Not exactly the OT's finest moment. :)