main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Share the most emotional moments for you

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Ricardo Funes, Dec 15, 2016.

1. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    It does also really highlight how strongly the film uses focus though out, Edwards exploiting the large format to get extremely thin depth of field and only have characters faces in focus to even with wider shots to emphasise drama.

That is I'd say really the most modern aspect of the film that separates it from the OT, the heavy focus on closeups and focus control that's become very popular over the last decade in a lot of more serious drama(watch something like Jackie recently for example). As with those films as well I think it goes hand in hand with more subtle performances that a very close view of actors faces allows for.

Maybe they should replace this kind of rest by asking people how much they liked Rogue One....

https://www.questionwritertracker.com/quiz/61/Z4MK3TKB.html

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's an important point and at the heart of why I think the Rogue One worl feels like such a real place.

3. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I always found their extraction off of Eadu to be pretty emotional, aided in large part due to the specific section of the film's score that plays over it. Just the way the music highlights this team coming together for the first time, fighting off the pursuing Stormtroopers and making sure everyone is on board before taking off, always struck a chord with me. Not emotional in a sadness kind of way obviously, but emotional in terms of seeing the bonds that are being and have been created in the Rogue One team.

Blue 5, Sarge, Gigoran Monk and 2 others like this.
  4. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I know just what you mean. We also get K2SO's "you're a Rebel now" line to Bodhi, which cements him as a part of the team.

EHT and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  5. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    I remember that video someone posted from a supposed "expert" on screen writing who claimed that whole Eadu section was pointless because it didn't advance the cause of getting the DS plans, not to be too unkind but perhaps that's the reason he's doing youtube videos rather than writing scripts?

I actually think that some of the most effective parts of the film are actually the traveling between locations. Rather than this being a chore I think the film uses it as a natural break in the action to focus the more dramatic side, you could argue ESB did a similar kind of thing with the Han/Leia romance. Those scenes do also provide an opportunity to really focus on closeups, shallow depth of field and especially lighting as well. The "you might as well be a storm trooper" scene just after Eadu for me is the best in the entire film and that's beautifully but subtly lit chiaroscuro on the actors faces working with their performances.

Gigoran Monk and TCF-1138 like this.
  6. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah, pretty dumb. Retrieving the DS plans didn't become the film's primary objective until Galen was killed. This is a case of a viewer's perception of what the film was supposed to be about, in his mind, clouds his ability to actually pay attention to the narrative.

7. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    To me it just felt like another example of playing to your audience, I'd say there's a strong tendency for a lot of armature film criticism to focus totally on the mechanics of the plot/setting and ignore the drama that should really be driving the story.

8. Binary_Sunset

Binary_Sunset Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2000
    I like the part in Saw's headquarters in which Galen (via hologram) nearly breaks down during his message to his daughter, then he turns to address Saw (and becomes all serious business) about the Death Star plans. It's cool how Saw looks at Galen with unquestioned trust. Saw doesn't trust ANYBODY, but he implicitly trusts Galen. That scene--showing how differently Galen relates to Jyn on the one hand and to Saw on the other--conveys a lot with a little.

EHT, Ricardo Funes and BenYodaDagobah like this.
  9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree. I am not the biggest Saw Gerrera fan but that entire interaction was scripted, acted and directed brilliantly.

10. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Well said. The moments that Saw looks at Jyn as she watches the message add a lot to him as well; Saw still considers himself as her guardian after all that's happened.

vncredleader, EHT and Ricardo Funes like this.
  11. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    Honestly I liked that we saw Saw(we didn't see him saw anything sadly) more though those little moments rather than devoting masses of time to his back story. Ultimately what you need to know about him is there in his interactions with Jyn, Galen, etc.

Gigoran Monk and Ricardo Funes like this.
  12. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    And if you go by Rebel Rising he very openly sees her as his daughter. God Rebel Rising makes their scenes so much more heartbreaking.

13. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    My child, come. Come. We have a long ride ahead of us.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Saw moving immediately to defend Jyn against Cassian while she sits motionless on the floor after listening to her father's message was poignant, especially after Rebel Rising's content. Galen's entire message, the whole scene was touching.
    Also, Bodhi's reaction to seeing Saw's compound destroyed was perfect. The visualization of that enormous, stone fortress looking so incredibly insignificant as it's engulfed in the wake of the Death Star's destructive force was well done.

15. moreorless12

Jan 4, 2016
    That scene...

[​IMG]

Mostly Handless likes this.
  16. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
  17. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012

I made a music video for rogue one, i was inspired by battfield II footage, I was playing back hole sun because of the eclipse and thought it went well with battlefield footage and then it became something else.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  18. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    For me, it's when both Cassian and Jyn jump from the console onto the databank and hang on. It really does highlight for me the utter desperation of their mission even in dire circumstances, because they know they are trapped and are likely going to die.

19. Dame sans merci

Dame sans merci Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2016
    During my rewatch at the weekend, I was really struck by that moment where Cassian and his fellow spies and assassins join Jyn for her mission for Scarif. Having learned that the rebellion isn't afraid to get its hands dirty in some pretty moral compass-spinning ways, there's something so powerful for me in these men seizing the opportunity to finally serve the rebellion in a way they see as...purely heroic? As redemptive? As cleansing them somewhat of everything they've had to do?

And, possible the most emotional moment for me in the whole film: Baze, knowing he's doomed, looking over at Chirrut once last time before he's blown up. The feels.

20. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    When Jyn is about to die on the beach, and Vader gets ready to board the ship. Bittersweet and epic.

Blue 5 and Gigoran Monk like this.
  21. GreySaber

GreySaber Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2017
    It's definitely the most emotionally charged film out of the lot in my opinion, Galen's death had me absolutely sobbing the first time around, and tear up every time after :'(

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Blue 5

Blue 5 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2017
    Rogue One isn't just a story about capturing the Death Star plans, but IMO more about how the oppression and dominion of the Empire destroyed and ruined a loving family just trying to live a peaceful life.

Poor Jyn deserved a better life.

23. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed. We really see the affects of Imperial rule on the characters lives. They all deserved better.

Blue 5 and BenYodaDagobah like this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    True. But both Jyn and Galen died as heroes. Sacrificed themselves to defeat the power that tore them and many other families apart. That's at the heart of the film, which is a very hopeful one.

EHT likes this.
  25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, it's actually one of the most simultaneously sad and hopeful and inspiring movies I can think of.