main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, seeing as Rimkin are relatively rare at the Royal Academy I should think that there are quite a few Core Worlders taking that course.

So far all we know about the curriculum is that it discussed an opera and that it encouraged students to be more broad-minded about coed social rituals such as the Imperial Ball.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    That's a questionable statement as there are large numbers of uninhabited and empty space in the galaxy unlike in, say, Earth.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I truly wish we had more info on the Republic pre-TPM in the NEU. I'm not a huge fan of the "Galactic Republic" and "Old Republic" delineation, but if I imagine the reborn Galactic Republic as basically being the post-Ruusan Republic from Legends, it actually works. The more we understand the foundation, history, and setup of the Old Republic, the more we can compare and contrast it to the New Republic. Especially when we look at the bedrock body for each government, the Galactic Senate.

I've often wondered what was the impetus for the Republic to be formed in the new canon. Was it an outside threat? A desire to avoid aggressive colonization wars? All governments are created by circumstances that bore the environment they were formed in. It would make our analysis of the New Republic's strengths and weaknesses that much more interesting, but I don't see TPTB diving into the early Republic's history any time soon. The most we've got is what Pablo's Propaganda guide says, which focused more on the post-reformation Galactic Republic, not the Old Republic.

--Adm. Nick

Havoc123 likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, I always thought it was interesting the Old Republic worked like the Federation. Planets joined because it benefited them rather than because of a drive to build an empire.

MercenaryAce and Gamiel like this.
  5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I hate it because it contradicts the movies. The whole point of the NEU was to stop doing that with complicated retcons and yet here we are. Thanks, TCW and SWTOR.

Tarkin was clearly talking about the Galactic Republic in ANH when he said Old Republic.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

DurararaFTW, Revanfan1, Ghost and 3 others like this.
  6. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I think they should have maintained the established history from the Atlas and Guide to Warfare. General history that did not have anything to do with any of the characters that were maintained into new canon.

I found the Pius Dea Era, the Alsakan Conflicts and the expansion of the Republic and the troubles with it interesting.

AusStig likes this.
  7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    It is a silly retcon, especially when you consider that the "Old Republic" was a galaxy spanning democracy with a Senate and Chancellor, protected by the Jedi Order. The same things that the "Galactic Republic" was. [face_waiting]

SWTOR is thankfully non-canon, but that damned mentioning in Rebels and a few other tidbits have made this an unnecessary mess, IMO.

The Galactic Republic is the Old Republic, period! [face_not_talking]

--Adm. Nick

Revanfan1, Ghost and Daneira like this.
  8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It's curious that out of 5000 years of in universe history, no planet or system has a bicameral parliament. Like a house of reps and a senate. Let Palpatine try dissolving both at the same time!

9. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    But we don't necessarily know that yet, do we? The Jedi Order existed during the Old Republic, yes, but I don't believe we have any information on whether there was a Senate or a Chancellor, or even that it was a democracy. Propaganda says that the Old Republic was "reinvented" as the Galactic Republic. The government that existed prior to the war against the Sith might well have been very different from what was established afterward.

10. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, there's certain connotations to calling it a REPUBLIC.

11. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    The Democratic People's Republic of Korea says hi.

AusStig likes this.
  12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, because we should totally expect that kind of subversive "the Jedi were evil all along!" in Star Wars.

[​IMG]

13. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

1) Very few people have that outlook, that because we know the end result the journey is less enjoyable.
    2) You seem oddly obsessed with 'shipping Luke, even in conversations not related to 'shipping. :p

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I tend to favor the less contrived backstories but in this case I like it, mostly because it reminds me of oh-so-many European republics.

DoubleSith likes this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I always found that interesting

16. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's a valid point, though. The name "Old Republic" need not imply at all that that government adhered to the modern definition of the term "republic." There's nothing subversive about that, it's just reflecting the fact that the term has historically been applied to a variety of forms of government and that we don't know enough about the "Old Republic" of canon to make assumptions about how it was organized.

Havoc123 and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Hu?

I don't get this, what is your issue with SWTOR? Since in legends the GR WAS the old Republic.

Cannon now says there was an even older Republic (which seems like the pre-russan Republic)

Or are you saying you just don't want the Republic to change at all in the X thousand years it existed?

18. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Roman Republic, which the early Legends Republic reminds me the most of. It may have had elements of a democracy but it was Core aristocrats ruling at the end of the day. And yeah The Positive Fan said it well, it doesn't have to mean that during its thousands years of existence, the Republic had the exact same kind of government.

If we're still talking Legends... Jorus C'Boath, Jedi Covenant, post-NJO NJO. The whole reason for the first Schism was Jedi being overly dogmatic. Also the Jedi were hardly tied into the Republic's government up until the Army of Light times and then the Ruusan.Reformation. They had an on-off relationship with it.

19. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Wasn't it implied in the prequels that there may have been such a delineation?

Palpatine says in AOTC: "I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two." Then later, we hear, "There hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic."

Yet, in ANH, Obi-Wan says, "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi have been the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic."

And since the movies are canon...

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Lucas more or less admitted it was a flub. Fans just ran with it.

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Nothing wrong with a first Republic, third Republic, etc and a 1000 year BBY refounding, in principle. It's just that the OR clearly meant the GR in ANH.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Eh, not really. Being called a republic doesn't tell us a thing about how it's organized. The point is well taken that chancellors and a senate may have been a 1000 BBY addition or something.

AusStig and JoinTheSchwarz like this.
  22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's why I suggested one be the Old Republic and the other the Ancient Republic.

23. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Palpatine has also said "one more the Sith will rule the galaxy." And the existence of a preexisting Sith shrine on Coruscant was revealed in NuEU. The Jedi might still have protected the Republic through those times but I imagine people felt change was needed then too whenever this story gets told.

24. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I haven't read the Propaganda guide is awhile, but I though it stated outright or implied that the Galactic Senate and Chancellor roles were part of the "Old Republic" as well. If not, I'm still leaning that these institutions aren't new at the 1000 BBY reorganization.

I'd love more info, as it would be interesting to see which "republic" the New Republic viewed as it's model for it's government. We know that there were differences, but any organization that's primary aim in the restoration of the Republic must had some sort of role model in mind.

--Adm. Nick

25. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    Didn't one of the Aftermath books imply that Mon Mothma wanted to restore the Galactic Republic's constitution, but because it was still amended with Palpatine's Emergency Powers Act, there was some hesitation to reenact it? So, would it be her Republic and not the pre-reformation's Republic?