main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #9-13: The Enormous Profit & Annual #1 (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , May 13, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I could see that happening if Aphra was a character like Hondo or Cad Bane where most of their adventures are intended to be things we never hear about. But Aphra is a character that they had star in her own comic series and was a main character in her original series. So with all the development she has she probably needs to have a more important story than Cad Bane or Hondo has.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I was hoping Aphra would rejoin Vader but sadly they don't seem to be going that way.

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    And she is having that story. Away from the Rebellion. That isn't the only important thing happening in the galaxy. Aphra being with the Rebellion would take away a lot of what makes her interesting. This series is showcasing that and should continue to do so. I hope they don't cancel it and send her to the main series. That would be a waste.

With any luck, the main SW series will have other characters to focus on since it is shifting to a more military focused series. Wedge, the Rebel leadership, etc. could all use some pagetime alongside the main characters. Aphra would just make it too crowded.

Jedi Jessy, Daneira and starfish like this.
  4. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I don't think this is ever going to happen. Gillen and the folks at Marvel have made it quite clear that Vader would kill Aphra if she ever ends up in his hands again.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

5. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Not so sure about that one. And if these are all stories that are meant to have happened a long time ago in a galaxy far far away there needs to be a particular reason why we are following Aphra's story so closely. She needs to turn out to be more than just another random thief from the galaxies underworld. If she was just going to turn out to be that there would be no need to follow her like we are.

Jedha John likes this.
  6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    ...why? Some of my favorite SW stories are about random people. That is what SW needs more of. Expand the galaxy. It is a huge place. "Random" people like Aphra can find ancient Jedi AI that have nothing to do with the Rebellion and that makes for a great story on its own.

Jedi Jessy, Daneira and Senpezeco like this.
  7. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Aphra is more than a random thief already, she's a freaking space archeologist, doesn't get much cooler than that.

I don't mind her interacting with the big three or Vader once in a while but I think she works fantastic as a character all by herself. I hope her comic runs for at least a few more years.

8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I could see that making sense if this was all supposed to be happening currently. But it isn't. The very first line we got from this universe was that this all happened long ago. When we look at our own history books how many 'random' people do we learn about. For the most part none. We learn about people that were a part of significant events from our past.

starfish it won't. If they chose not to keep the Vader series it would be extremely surprising if the Aphra series lasted anylonger than that. It would be even more surprising now considering Gillen is writing for another Star Wars series.

9. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    That perspective just seems limiting on the kind of stories they could tell.

But from that POV, what has been insignificant about Aphra? She worked for Darth Vader, solved the mystery of the Ordu Aspectu, and hosted a auction for a crystal containing an insane copy of an ancient Jedi Master's mind with several key figures of the underworld in attendance. Those are important events.

Jedi Jessy and Daneira like this.
  10. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    They are important. However it still wouldn't make her much different than say a Cad Bane or Hondo. Yet we aren't getting ongoing stories about either of those characters. They are just characters that appear onscreen or on page every now and then. It would only make sense that Aphra become much more important than those two characters since she is getting so many more stories told about her than they did.

11. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well, if we have a canceled Aphra comics, and Aphra doesn't join the Rebellion, then that would mean....

death

edit: or being jailed in maximum security and labeled war criminal to boot.

12. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    IMHO, I think it is too soon for Aphra to consider joining the rebellion. I'd love a long run of her own series...there are limitless stories to tell...we need to explore the space archaeology angle for a few years. Plus, I think she needs a long character arc for her character to seriously consider joining the rebellion.

13. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, if Aphra joined the Rebels it'd be hilarious as she'd have to constantly deal with the fact they're idealistic do gooders instead of terrorists.

vncredleader and Daneira like this.
  14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    It would actually make for a decent redemption story for her character because the Rebels are idealistic. Though we don't know much about her mom what we do know is that she was an idealistic do gooder as well. She may not have been willing to fight but it seems she would have held many of the same beliefs that the Rebels do. If Aphra's mom never died Chelli Lona might be a die hard Rebel already.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I agree that Aphra is getting closer to being a good person. I love that she has a line about the Ion weapon being best for everyone. people got hurt cause of her again and she does not want to cause any more collateral death. She is not idealistic but she is less able to stomach murder than she did prior to spending prolonged time with luke.

Darth Zane and Darth_Voider like this.
  16. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Since it's not part of the Enormous Profit arc, should we discuss the upcoming Annual in a new thread, or is it okay to discuss here? (I'd be fine with keeping it in here.)

Here are two covers:
    Cover by David Nakayama:
    [​IMG]

Variant Cover by Phil Noto:
    [​IMG]

• Doctor Aphra has a troubled past full of parental drama and war.
    • But what about her Wookiee shadow, Black Krrsantan?
    • Find out just how this Wookiee warrior is as frightening as they say…
    • …and then some!

17. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Personally I like the first cover better by Mr. Nakayama. The Second one by Mr. Noto makes Aphra, while more Asian looking, looks to me like a man. *shrugs*

18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Gillen just said in an article (posted in the Marvel Comics thread) that he has the Aphra series mapped out through issue #25. Will Aphra join the regular line after that?

19. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The Annual appears to have two artists, with the second doing pages 21-25. Marc Laming's art looks really good. Love the style. But that someone else is potentially finishing the panels has me a little concerned. Is this going to be a big jump in style?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee, Jedha John and spicer like this.
  20. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Kashyyyk! I hope we see a lot of that planet in the annual, I love Kashyyyk! The art in the preview looks great too, I hope the rest of it will be just as good.

Jedha John likes this.
  21. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    Wonder if the second artist implies there will be an epilogue/coda/flashback/back-up of some kind, as happened in Aphra #1?

22. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Can't wait for this annual. Reminds me in a good way of that TCW episode "Padawan Lost" with Ahsoka and some younglings trying to survive a Trandoshan hunt.

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    [​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #14
    Kieron Gillen & SIMON Spurrier (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by MARK BROOKS
    • Doctor Aphra’s antics are causing mayhem once again…
    • But is she really the one calling the shots?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

The start of a new arc? And no mention of Vader. [face_thinking]

24. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    Definitely the start of a new arc...very cool to see Tolvan back. "Is she really the one calling the shots?" Interesting...is Aphra going to be (knowingly?) doing things for Tolvan?

This cover is FANTASTIC! Ashley Witter is ridiculous (and I mean that as the ultimate compliment).

25. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Chelli Lona,

I love you.

Darth_Voider likes this.