main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit From Endor to Exegol - The State of the Galaxy Discussion Thread (Tagged Victory's Price Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralNick22 , Sep 6, 2015.

1. In the prequels they said that the Republic had been around for 200 years and that the Clone Wars was the first large-scale war in the history of the Republic

So I think that in this canon we will not see much content of the old republic although anyway the movies of star wars contradict themselves

Like for example when Obi Wan told Luke that when he meet his father he was already a great pilot
    When in reality Anakin was just a little boy who loves pod racing

AusStig likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Where/when was that said? I don't remember that number?

He was a great pilot, just not a space ship pilot

3. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    In Legends, the Republic we see in the movies had been around for a thousand years. The Republic before that was separate.

SpecForce Trooper, AusStig and Gamiel like this.
  4. Lumiyas_Head

Lumiyas_Head Jedi Master star 2

Jul 10, 2007
    "I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be split in two." Palpatine

Sio Bibble says there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic. He doesn't mention a timeframe.

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    It's the same in canon (see: SW Propaganda), with the difference that the Sith actually ousted the Republic from Coruscant for a period.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I'd imagine that the New Republic probably modeled itself on the best parts of the Republic, pre-1000 BBY and post-1000 BBY. It would be cool if things like the concept of democratically elected senators was something from the earlier incarnation of the Republic, but was lost in the centuries leading up to the Clone Wars and the Separatist crisis.

But yeah, like it or not, the new canon took Sio Bibble's "there hasn't been a full scale war since the formation of the Republic" and Palpatine's "I will not let this Republic that has stood for a thousand years be spit in two" line to literally mean there was an old Republic before the Galactic Republic.

HOWEVER, I'd argue that in the mind of the galactic populace, there probably isn't much of a distinction made. Afterall, the Old Republic was still a Republic composed of the same worlds, governed from Coruscant, with a Jedi Order. Not exactly huge differences between either incarnation. :p

--Adm. Nick

7. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    Don't forget that Lott Dod said that Coruscant has not been attacked in 1000 years. Perhaps thats when the Sith had it and then the Republic took it back?

AusStig likes this.
  8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I wouldn't be surprised in canon if it goes like this:

1. The Old Republic rules the galaxy for 18,000 years
    2. The Sith rise and conquer the galaxy, forcing the Jedi into hiding or defeat for a millennium
    3. The Jedi defeat the Sith, retake Coruscant and rebuild the Republic as the Galactic Republic

AusStig and DurararaFTW like this.
  9. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    In reality, this is barely any different from the Legends version of the story, save that Coruscant is actually occupied by the Sith. Instead of a final battle on Ruusan, I'm assuming the final battle may have taken place on the galactic capital.

--Adm. Nick

10. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Or Jakku

11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    My dream is that Zannah and Cognus briefly conquered the galaxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Be kind of hard to be a secret order of the Sith then.

13. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Yoda knows about the Rule of Two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yeah but it would also make the Sith look a bit better than their constant state of "almost but never quite" winning. At least until Palpatine.

DurararaFTW and PCCViking like this.
  15. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    They had the Megamind philosophy: "The Jedi would win some battles. We would almost win others." :p

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Coruscant falling and Sith rule of the galaxy is breathtakingly different, not "barely any different," imo.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Are we sure the Sith ruled the galaxy? I assumed they just gained an upper hand in the war at one point. Which isn't different from Legends as well.

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

"Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy."

Can check the text of Propaganda to be sure (all I remember is a "devastating ouster" from Coruscant) but I was under the impression that bit was meant to actually correspond to the film dialogue, which Legends couldn't do.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

AusStig likes this.
  19. Grievpalpy75

Grievpalpy75 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 31, 2015

AusStig and DoubleSith like this.
  20. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    And in case Palpatine is a biased source, even Mace Windu made mention of that. When he has Palpatine cornered, he says, "The oppression of the Sith will never return." That implies the Sith were in control at one point, and more than just to leverage better terms in a treaty (SWTOR).

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Mind you, Zakuul is notable for the fact they turned the Republic and Sith Empire into tribute states.

That qualifies as "Rulership of the Galaxy" in my view.

Havoc123 and AusStig like this.
  22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The oppression of the Sith will never return doesn't have to mean the whole galaxy, does it? For a majority of SW history, I was under the impression that they ruled anywhere from 30 to 70 percent? Never the whole thing like OT era Republic.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    No, but it's more impressive if they did.

AusStig likes this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Remember, Palpatine also mentioned in ROTS that there had never been a "Galactic" Empire before... this was the first.

Havoc123 likes this.
  25. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Not necessarily. Someone could say "the oppression of <insert historical dictatorship here> will never return!", but it dosn't mean that group controlled the whole world after all.

But really there's no need to debate the meaning of certain lines of the prequel trilogy when Propaganda makes the intended meaning clear:

As Jello said reorganizing "The Old Republic" into "The Galactic Republic" is very similar to what was done in Legends with the "Ruusan Reformations". The only major difference is that in Legends the Sith never held Coruscant until Palpatine.

AusStig and PCCViking like this.