main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Journey to the Last Jedi: Phasma

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    As well as a back door for getting the history of the First Order from the FO POV to readers who may have otherwise been put off by an in universe history book. I have a feeling this is going to fill a lot of holes still not explored by the backstory Bloodline provided.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

2. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I think we all want Brienne of Tarth...but in the FO...

Sent from my Moto X-Wing

3. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    When Phasma goes on-sale on FORCE FRIDAY there will be THREE special editions each with an exclusive double-sided character poster.
    One side of each poster will feature a gorgeous piece of Phasma art. The other will feature one of three NEW characters from the book, each with a connection to Phasma. To know exactly what that connection is, you’ll have to read Phasma when it releases on Fri Sept 1, FORCE FRIDAY.
    The special editions will be available at BARNES AND NOBLE, WALMART, and TARGET.
    Get the special First Order poster from Barnes and Noble. The Resistance Fighter from Target, and The Mysterious Man from Walmart.
    (The Phasma art is by Larry Rostant, the new character posters by Jason Chan)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Those are nice. I hope it'll have more FO action and less barracks drama.

5. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    On first glance, he looks like an Imperial Knight from the Legacy comics.

I hope we see non-human characters in prominent roles too.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm enjoying this trend of character art with the books.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

7. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Reminded me of Jace Malcom
    [​IMG]

bizzbizz, Revanfan1 and spicer like this.
  8. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    His face is reminiscent of Jace Malcom, but the armor+face&hair is almost the same as Jao Assam. All he needs is a silver-bladed lightsaber.
    [​IMG]

Mia Mesharad and Dr. Steve Brule like this.
  9. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004

I feel the same. I keep seeing a Fel

I don't know how I feel about these. I'm inclined towards one poster but without knowing the characters how can I know which one I actually will want more?

10. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

That armor looks like OT era stormtrooper armor painted red. [face_thinking]

[​IMG]

This guy looks like a male version of GC. Pablo has said that her roots are more primitive than you'd expect and that the staff weapon she is using this go around as some significance to her. Are we looking at Phasma's father or brother?

And it is two weeks till the book comes out, are we going to get a excerpt the next couple of days?

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You sure? It looks more like a red version of Phasma's armor to me.

I wonder if that's the type of armor she had, along with this guy, before she got the Emperor's chrome.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Hmm, could be an earlier version of it.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I wonder if he had her role before she inherited it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    To me it almost looks like white armor under a red light.

my kind of scum likes this.
  15. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    Just realised that this book is just over fortnight away[face_dancing]

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015

SilentGuy66 and Ventrix like this.
  17. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    *Fleet Junkie Intensifies*

18. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    haha the red guy is called Cardinal. Those FO dorks.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    I read that synopsis and when I saw the reference to "Battlecruiser", I knew it would start a storm. :p Five bucks says the Absolution is nothing more than a Finalizer-class Star Destroyer. Of course, based on the old EU's Anaxes Scaling System, it would be a battlecruiser...

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So, everyone wins?

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

21. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can't help but think of the Cardinal from the Three Musketeers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jedi Ben likes this.
  22. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    If the red guy is FO then could this mean that there are several "colour" troopers who command great positions within the storm trooper corps and Phasma is just one of them.

Personally I never really liked the TFA Visual Dictionary inferring that Phasma is the HEAD stormtrooper of the entire FO. It seemed like an over the top rank just to further "force" her popularity.

23. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Honestly, why doesn't this Cardinal guy seduce Phasma and then learn her secrets lol

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh.

Because Phasma seems like someone who would murder him for trying?

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  25. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    So are they implying that the reason we never saw Phasma's face in TFA is because maybe nobody has seen it sort of like Judge Dredd? That would make sense and help explain that. Although I know they're making this book and they have to sell the character is still strange at least now maybe once we see more of her it'll play better but to read Phasma as being this renowned feared commander and the film version not really being that kind of is an issue. It's like when you look at how people perceived Boba as this awesome character and they write him to be that way in other things except the films. Perception of certain characters changes if a different writer is involved even if most of the writers are close with the Story Group and whatnot.

Still Phasma can have some time to turn around and be an engaging character. If she's given the right material Gwendoline Christie certainly has the ability to pull it off both in acting and also fight scenes. Now we don't know yet of Phasma's story but it'd be interesting to see her start out like Brienne being looked down upon by others for her gender but rather than become a more noble character like how she became as even beneath that tough exterior she shows she cares for people, Phasma could become a more colder and rougher character. Phasma could take all that abuse from her colleagues and trains to be smarter and stronger and basically rises her way to the top until she is their commander and treats them with the same sort of respect they did her. The feeling goes both ways and you don't realise what you've done until you've experienced it yourself from someone else. But again we don't know anything yet and even some of the characters don't know anything except that name which wasn't her birth name no doubt and her gender even if they never have seen her they know because of her voice. So we'll basically be learning along with the Cardinal.

But those character designs look interesting. They probably weren't based on anyone in particular for licencing rights to faces but they were designed well enough so that if any of them survived and appeared in something else down the line to where people could fancast them they could do so but I don't think that'll happen in the films honestly unless they appear in something animated.