main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Teleporting across time and space

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth Invictus, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I forget the exact passage but in the Darth Plagueis novel Plagueis mentions ancient Sith who could supposedly teleport themselves across time and space and even fly.

Is it possible for an extremely advanced force user to through sheer concentration and latent power teleport himself/herself say from Kamino to Csilla?

Is there any evidence at all something like this can be achieved?

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Aing-Tii

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dooku uses the Force to levitate up (then lower himself) in the CW comics - the arena scene which introduces Ventress.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    They can teleport objects but not themselves IIRC.

Also self-levitation isn't the same thing I'd say as flying through atmosphere.

5. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Ah so they could teleport only within their vicinity. Not throughout space. That doesn't gel with "across time and space" not four feet or within the horizon.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Does Force storm count? Its not instant teleportation, but it does involve using the Force to bend space, not sure about time.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Darkstaff creates hyperspace wormholes that can bend time as well:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darkstaff

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    In Vision of the Future, the Aing-Tii teleport Karrde from Exocron to Bastion instantaneously. And Exocron is deep in the Kathol Rift; it takes Karrde and Shada a week to get there.

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  10. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Ah, must have forgotten that.

Just disappointing we don't see Palpatine or Luke Skywalker becoming so powerful they can teleport across the galaxy at will no longer even needing space travel.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Technically Palpatine probably could have done something like that, considering a Force storm plucked Luke (and Artoo) from Coruscant and brought them to the Deep Core, I think.

I think the Jedi Path book technically didn't classify it as a darkside technique, but that messing around with space like that was so dangerous that it was forbidden anyway.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Even so Palpatine admitted he couldn't control the ability in Dark Empire(in one of his books)

Such an ability to transport across the surface of space itself would probably strain all but the absolute best of the best.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    As written, it didn't - it brought them up into space, where an Imperial dungeon ship was waiting - and that brought them to the Deep Core.
    Didn't they do so in their ship though - their ship has a teleporting drive - it took them to Bastion (and shocked Pellaeon's crew considerably when it arrived in front of them)?

14. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Not force based but there is a piece of wormhole technology in the Han Solo miniseries.

15. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    The exact Aing-Tii Force power was called fold space (not that there's any actual mechanical difference between that and Jedi or Sith teleportation, but more a philosophical difference, given the Aing-Tii's view of the Force as a spectrum): http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Fold_space

We might not want to utilize RPG books as "canon," but in this case, the Jedi Academy Training Manual from Saga Edition gives the most insight into how fold space is supposed to work conceptually. To quote from the Folded Space Mastery talent entry (needed to 'port ships across interstellar distances):

While you are the pilot of a vehicle, you can use the fold space Force power to move the vehicle across long distances. If your Use the Force check to activate the power is sufficient to move an object of the same size as your vehicle (or larger), you can use the power to move your vehicle and all of its occupants safely to the desired destination. You use your Use the Force check result instead of a Use Computer check, as though calculating a hyperspace jump. This otherwise uses the normal rules for hyperspace travel, though travel is instantaneous and requires no hyperdrive.

AFA fold space itself, it should be noted that while the rules for the power indicate one "held or unattended object," there's nothing that specifically contradicts the idea of teleporting oneself. ;) For that matter, teleporting a starship with people in it is possible - even if the Force-sensitive isn't aboard.

OK - so, setting aside the RPG bits (yes, I am an old :-B :D), what does all this actually mean? [face_thinking]

A few things: 1., that the Aing-Tii view of space-time can be argued to be similar to the Force "flowing through all living things" - the Force connects everything, so a skilled-enough fold space practitioner can place themselves and others elsewhere, even in defiance of what "should" be possible.

In some ways, it's akin to the philosophy of the Correspondence Sphere from the Mage: the Ascension RPG, where the Awakened (mages) learned how to scry, pass through, then connect, and finally bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate space-time. :p

2. As above, there's nothing indicating that the Aing-Tii had to travel aboard starships they teleported elsewhere (assuming they had access to farsight potent enough to detect Bastion, and there's little I'd put past the Aing-Tii, tbh). So, Aing-Tii sending Karrde and Shada to Bastion without going themselves is :cool:.

As for telekinetic Force flight - it's more of a Master-level skill, but it does exist. From the Legends entry on telekinesis, subsection, Force Flight:

Force Flight was a Force power that enabled the user to telekinetically move themselves toward a specific destination, taking levitation ... to an extreme degree. To use this Force power took a great deal of concentration.

The Dark Jedi Maw was skilled in this power. After having his lower body severed by the Jedi Qu Rahn, Maw initially relied on a repulsorlift for transport, but he soon learned to wield Force Flight so well that it became second nature. Darth Tyranus,[30] Darth Vader, and Darth Sidious[31] may have also possessed this power, being able to hover above the ground in standard gravity. The Dark Jedi Yun may have possessed this ability as well, to some degree. His master, Jerec, also possessed this power, demonstrating it in the Valley of the Jedi. Luke Skywalker could use this power, as he demonstrated on several occasions. His wife had also learned this skill by 40 ABY.

The ancient Sith Lord Darth Thanaton was also able to use the Force to levitate, yet with better control to such a degree that he could indeed fly.[10] Ganner Rhysode once mentioned to Corran Horn that he could levitate them both for almost a kilometer—but that it would be highly energy-consuming. It is possible that Force Flight had some relation to Floating Meditation, a meditation technique where the user floated several inches off the ground during meditation.

More common is Levitation:

Levitation was a Force power that allowed Jedi to suspend themselves against the force of gravity. Levitation required no direct physical contact. Using the Force, an individual could then hover in place or move about wherever they desired.

Revan briefly used levitation to attune his connection to the Force during his 're-training' at the Jedi Academy on Dantooine.

During the Second Great Galactic War, during a Kaggath on Corellia, Darth Thanaton used this ability to escape from the future Darth Nox.
    Kaox Krul and Crian Maru levitated themselves above a lake while they fought during the Duel on Balowa.

Jedi Knight Dace Diath used levitation to carefully descend to the surface of Ossus after surviving the crash of his Star Saber XC-01 starfighter.

Tl, dr - while expecting Jedi to pull superhero-like flight stunts is theoretically possible, I wouldn't expect it often. Likewise for teleportation.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    So an extremely powerful or well trained Aing Tii(or Jedi or Sith trained in their abilities) could stand on say Csilla and with enough power and concentration teleport themselves to Tatooine? As that is about the distance of the Galaxy itself.

As for flying-yeah I imagine that to be a much harder and much more labor intensive form of levitation.

17. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    Well in canon, Talzin teleports through magic and teleportation through the Force is technically possible as the Bendu does it.

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    But does distance matter in such instances?

I wonder what other "unnatural" abilities are possible using the force.

The EU really knocked the ball out of the park in terms of the variety, power, and subtlety of force abilities.

19. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Wouldn't that kind of destroy the narrative if they could do that?

20. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

I would think flying would have to be a completely different skill than levitation.

Levitation is just using force push against an immovable object (the floor). The further away that object is, the more difficult levitation would be. Low level "Force swinging" though a city or jungle should be quite possible just by using pull on buildings or trees.

Actual flying at altitude with no tow ship though would have to rely on air manipulation to create thrust, instead of just object manipulation. I feel that it would be very difficult and demanding to move and control the huge amounts of air that would be needed to lift and propel a humanoid force user.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I was always enamored with the "Flow Walking" technique Jacen used in the EU. I know there wasn't a whole lot to like about the Dark Nest Triology, but I did find that concept kinda cool really.

He could go back and observe past events I recall, but he couldn't interfere.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe Force Push is like a rocket - you don't need air to push against - just pushing (if you're not braced) will generate equal and opposite reaction?

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yeah that was an interesting technique. LOTF ruined it by making Tahiri an addict.

Couldn't flow walking influence possible futures?

Aing-Tii techniques to me at least seem useful, conventional, and insightful.

Future Jedi and Sith would do well to study them.

24. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016

I think pushing with the force has to be mass and gravity manipulation. Nothing actually leaves the force users hands. This would work in a vacuum. There would also be "Force Blast" though where, instead of one big object, trillions of air molecules would need to be focused on and moved to create thrust.

Overall though it's a bit pointless trying to make scientific sense of the force when so many instances of it that we see on screen and TV are different and often don't make any sense.. I remember recently watching Rebels and laughing at Kanan lifting this giant piece of rock to make a bridge for the other characters to run along over a big chasm . Why didn't he just lift and push the characters across? Also if you put equal and opposite reaction into the equation, then no character would ever be able to lift anything that was too heavy for them to lift with their arms.

25. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Part of the problem is that most of the examples of "Force teleportation" can be alternatively explaned as illusion techniques or else as involving exotic technology (we simply don't understand the interface between Aing-Tii Force-use and their technology, and Dathomir, notably, has some pre-Republic-era teleportation tech lying around)...

As to levitation - I've always got the sense that there's something immoral in the act of self-elevation (which is why Ganner trying to be a superhero strikes such a wrong note, for instance)...

... but there's also a technique where two Jedi can levitate each other, usually seen in the context of controlled descent rather than anything else, great for exploring sinkholes or ejecting without a repulsorchute - I'm sure I've seen Skyguy and Snips do this at least once in the Clone Wars cartoons, and earlier on in the old print canon, Anakin Solo and Tahiri Veila did it too - when they were kids on Yavin 4, A/T called it the "falling game"...

Which would have made a great title for a crosstime story with all four of them, but that's another matter...

- The Imperial Ewok