main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Even More Magniloquent New Rumor Intellectual Thread of Seriousness for Sophisticated Discourse

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by A Chorus of Disapproval , Dec 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Rey looked pretty shocked before running away after her being victory, and I'm assuming that wasn't just because the planet was imploding.

oncafar likes this.
  2. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    From the adult novelisation:

Whether it's Snoke or not, I think the writer was told Rey was tempted by the dark side.

Blastaar, did we see the same cut of the movie? 'Beamed'? She glared, prowled around him, then stared at him across the chasm. At no time did I see her 'beam'.

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    The voice is described as being pure vengeful emotion, which suggests to me that it's her inner voice and not Snoke.

oncafar likes this.
  4. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    This is admittedly a subjective point nterpretation, but you are quite literally the first person I have heard who did not recognize Rey's internal struggle to kill Kylo. In fact, it bore some striking resemblance to Anakin's temptation to kill Dooki, and Luke's to kill Vader. Felt very visually similar with near zero dentitical facial expressions.

Again subjective, but hardly worth discounting another's interpretation. We will get clear answers as Rey's character is developed, but nearly everything advertisement with these movies points to internal turmoil with Rey.

Jacques who likes this.
  5. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Does it really matter? I think in the movie it's visually clear Rey was channeling some intense "dark side" emotions - she looks angry enough and it's clear she could have finished him had the ground not broken. I think this was obvious to the viewer whether they saw connected it to the concept of being "tempted by the dark side" or not. Now the novel chooses to make that more explicit with the voice and imo kinda confirms what they were hinting at in TFA and is probably an indication of things to come for the next 2 movies. I highly doubt they'll mention any voice in TLJ, it's just not that important to have that explicit setup for the films imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Looking angry at a man who has been antagonizing you (not to mention murdering han, smashing her against a tree, nearly cutting her friend in half, and trying to maim her.) for the past few days isn't exactly what i'd call "channeling darkside emotions". Finn also looked enraged when he charged at kylo, does that mean he was also feeling the darkside? I promise i'm not trying to be a jerk here, but we need to stop this thing where we declare something as fact even though there is no basis for it in the film. As I said before, rey is barely an initiate in TFA, there was no temptation from the darkside. Not yet. Sure she was angry at Ren, and that makes perfect sense, but things haven't progressed deep enough to where we can say she's felt the pull from the darkside.

Sorry, thats just what i'd call "beaming". Even "snarl" if you like. The point is, there is nothing to suggest she was being tugged at by the darkside.

7. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I thought beaming was a synonym for a really big smile?

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    MotherNature's SilverSeed

The clearest contrast possible between Rey and Kylo would be if her family origin was much different than his. While he comes from the great Skywalker heroes -- Han, Leia, Luke -- she might come from some humble tribe or even bad people. So if she becomes a great hero, that had to do with choices she made. Having the Force alone doesn't make one a great hero or villain (it's easy to imagine a community were Force sensitives are not valued and they choose not to use their powers). Kylo, for instance, chose to be a villain rather than a hero in his parents' or Luke's image. Rey came from humble origins, but she's made choices that have led her to a path of greatness. Choosing to save BB-8 from Teedo was one of her first steps -- the humble choice would have been to not play a hero here, to let Teedo steel BB-8. She didn't have to use the Force here; she simply made a decision to intervene. Then deciding not to sell BB-8 to Unkar was next -- she chose friendship over profit. Those values, those choices, led to her choosing to return BB-8 to the resistance. She could have reported him and Finn to Unkar when she learned they were on the side of the resistance, but she didn't. It's only after all of these heroic decisions that the Force began to exhibit itself in her in a massive way.

So I think it's pretty clear how the theme of family being important to greatness can be shown to be false here. If they wanted to really underscore the choices theme, however, they might add that the Force chose Rey because of her character (or by chance), that it didn't manifest in her because of lineage. We've been told before that the Force runs strong in certain families, but the Force also seems to manifest itself by chance and sometimes by will. Personally, I think they should steer clear of calling Rey another Chosen One, but just a great hero who became one because she chose to be one.

9. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I mostly agree with you and I am not arguing whether the voice in her head in the book is canon or not but I believe that the "tug" of the Dark Side is probably always there for all Jedi. It's why they must always keep their guard up and their wits about them. Luke felt it as he stood over Vader and he recoiled from it as well.

Dra--- likes this.
  10. What Girl

What Girl Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Yes. And there was foreshadowing for that. Obi-Wan says in her Force vision, "You will be tempted."

11. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Though, I suppose given the context that Rey is still experiencing her Awakening when she faces off against (a mortally wounded and weakened) Kylo Ren. Perhaps it was the Darkside via Snoke compelling her?

12. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015

Luke felt that obviously after three full movies of development. They also depicted palpatine as a surrogate voice of the darkside throughout that entire fight. This way, there is no doubt as to what is happening in regards to the balance of the force within luke. As luke felt in ANH and rey felt in TFA, there was only fear and anger. Remember how obi wan warned luke after he'd gone through some training? "this is a dangerous time for you......" Luke was no longer an initiate. He'd had actual training and had begun to consciously feel and use the force. It wasn't until vader suggested that his sister would join the darkside, that luke finally gave into hate and came very close to falling.

13. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Rey having heard a comforting voice throughout her time on Jakku, and again in the vision? "Stay here. I'll come back, sweetheart. I promise."

Yes, that is pretty dang significant.

It was a calm, kind MALE voice. So either it was that of someone the audience would recognize, or of someone the audience wouldn't recognize. Either way, it would probably bust the mystery box to bits. Because I'm fairly sure - not dead certain, of course - that she's been hearing the voice of her father all this time. Obv no proof, but I think it's fair speculation at this point.

And considering that, I'm sure the SG didn't double-down on the canon status of the voice (they gave the auther the material to insert; the author did NOT invent it) just for funsies.

14. MichaelSkellig

MichaelSkellig Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Yup.

Jacques who likes this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    @JoJoPenelli It's possible these voices isn't the same. One show up during a Force vision, other seems more like a thought

16. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    The fact remains that despite that, there is no mention in the film at all from Rey about a voice. Perhaps she'll allude to it in TLJ, we'll see..

Blastaar likes this.
  17. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    And the fact remains that it's canon. So, in-universe, "it happened," whether or not it was in the film. Again - it's most likely something that is inherently spoilery. I believe the voice in the audiobook is female. Why? The author was not told anything about the voice; so he just assumed it was female,

It's an extremely significant tidbit, so yes, we most likely will learn about it in TLJ. The extra info specifically states that the voice was always with her; I'm sure it will be addressed in the movies at some point.

Jedi Jessy

The "sweetheart" voice, heard in the vision, is the same Rey has heard before, on Jakku. That's directly stated. It's described as something other than her own thoughts.

It's not the "Kill him" voice, though. That's described quite differently.

18. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
    There is no "stay sweetheart..." line in the movie. 90% of the movie watchers, didn't turn around and read the novelization. This is why its not a good idea to base whats canon off of that, especially when it goes into internal thoughts. The bit about her adoring finn when she thought he was dead in the snow, sounds pretty, but who knows if thats actually whats meant to be portrayed in the film. We see her turn him over and resign herself to what she believes is the fact that he's gone. Does she intend to just give up and die on SKB? we never get that far ,as viewers, because chewie shows up. The book, states that she does accept her fate, but thats not necessarily the way it plays out in the film. All i'm saying is its not accurate at all to say rey felt the pull to the darkside, then resisted. If she did feel the pull, its an unresolved struggle since the ground split. If she talks to luke about feeling this strange urge to slaughter Ren in the snow, then we'll have our confirmation.

11-4D and Jcuk like this.
  19. JoJoPenelli

Aug 14, 2000
    If the sweetheart voice comes up in TLJ, it will be treated as entirely new info for the audience. Because, yes - understanding the movies is not contingent on having read the books.

But what the SG did is an excellent indicator that it remains canon for a reason. We're not talking about the color of Rey's boots, here...It's the most substantive imformatiom we have yet about Rey's backstory.

20. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Not trying to be a jerk either, but to use the same aeguent, where does it explicitly state in the movies an initiate cannot be pulled and tempted by the dark side. Boo wan's quote to Luke seemed more about the fact that he had not completed his training. At no point is it argued that being tempted is only a fact once training has started. I agree we cannot act like something is factual when it is not directly stated, but truth be told, there seems more circumstantial evidence for Rey nearly given in to anger this the dark side as opposed to the movies clearly stating a non trained force user cannot face temptation.

lawton likes this.
  21. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Obviously it's far easier to convey in a book just what's going on in a characters mind. And Rey listening to her minds eye was very interesting. It added that little 'something' for me

lawton likes this.
  22. Blastaar

Dec 25, 2015
  23. IncessantRamblings

IncessantRamblings Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2016
    Episode 191 – MakingStarWars.net’s Now, This is Podcasting!
    • Many previous Making Star Wars reports confirmed this week!
    • Evil BB-8s, Executioner Stormtroopers, Elite Praetorian Guards, and more on popcorn buckets, toppers and cups.
    • Entertainment Weekly’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi coverage from Anthony Breznican.
    • Mark Hamill on Luke’s immense guilt
    • The Porgs and the nuns on Ahch-To
    • Snoke’s appearance in The Last Jedi
    • New images of the heroes and villains of The Last Jedi, and Canto Bight at night!
    • Rey’s lineage will be addressed in Episode VIII
    • Donald Glover talks Lando and Ron Howard to The Hollywood Reporter
    • The controversy around Captain Rex and Return of the Jedi
    • Interview: Lucasfilm licensed artist, Christopher Clark from SDCC.
    • Interview: Making Star Wars chats with Sphero at SDCC.
    http://makingstarwars.net/2017/08/episode-191-makingstarwars-nets-now-this-is-podcasting/

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  25. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.