main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I still think he will end up being a Blood Relative of Rey.

2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    while i was thinking of good hackers, i recalled how vader hacked into that <system?> in one of the vader comics. aphra said it would take her something like 3 hours and vader just did it with the force? so maybe... a force sensitive is the best hacker in the galaxy. lol

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003

Rey2D2 - Never Forget.

Gigoran Monk, Hopeless and oncafar like this.
  4. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Well, Aphra is an archaelogist and probably not all versed in hacking systems. Sabine was pretty good at hacking the Empire's security systems, maybe due in part to her working for the Empire for a time, but still. I can see someone who's not Force sensitive being a fast hacker, gotta have some sort of skill, right?

5. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    At last some actual interesting info... I'm wondering whether Maz puts the Resistance onto D.J.? I'm going along with HL&S on this one in that they need D.J. for his skills in cracking into the F.O. database. Maybe DJ is a Stormtrooper prefix after all and he actually learnt his trade when he was with them?

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  6. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    so now we are saying aphra sucks at hacking as a counter-argument? seriously? aphra was hacking something really complex and difficult to crack i think, and that's why it was gonna take her 3 hours. sure, maybe she's not the fastest hacker in the galaxy but i've seen nothing to indicate what you suggest. the point was that vader did it in an instant. just, bing, finished! (iirc)

and the more i think about it the more i could see the force helping a great deal. if you can be a genius mechanic because of the force you can be a genius hacker.

7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I didn't say she sucks at slicing. I said it may not be her main forte. She's an archaelogist. I'm sure with that job some slicing is required, but I'm saying someone like Sabine was more adept at it as witnessed in Rebels. And the Force does help. Look at during TCW with some security systems at the Temple. Obi-Wan used the Force on one of the terminals and immediately shut down the shield outside the Temple. I wasn't saying you couldn't be a slicer if you had the Force. I was saying you can be an amazing slicer without having the Force, since you were implying it would take a regular being to shut down a system in about 3 hours, whereas a Force sensitive did it instantly. But granted, it was more complex, but someone more knowledgable could probably take it down in less than 3 without the Force, someone like DJ.

8. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    sabine can't point at something and hack it in an instant with the force. i think vader might be the best hacker in the galaxy. but then he died and number 2 became number 1.

9. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    I can only think that Holdo must be out of the picture when they decide to go for D.J,'s hacking skills as I'm sure she's still in contact with the best hacker in the Universe;

[​IMG]

darthOB1 and oncafar like this.
  10. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    Still hoping for him being a hidden Sith Lord. I mean he was described as the tiger in the room. Cant wait for some shocking reveal of his red lightsaber and black cloak hidden in the pocket.

11. akaydia41188

akaydia41188 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 22, 2016
    My guess is that the Man in Black is Snoke's younger anti-social brother (or son) and competitor to the throne. The rebels want to free him so that he can throw a coup.

If there is a theme about heroes and meeting your hero's in TLJ--- then what about villains and meeting your villains?

Family and blood seems to be an important themes too. The foil of saving your family members would be killing them. If Snoke turns out to be royalty through blood and he is ok with people killing family members- then what is his royal family like? Probably pretty dysfunctional and vulnerable to coups.

Then the rebels would have to ask themselves- who is more dangerous in power- the Man in Black or Snoke?

12. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    My guess is that the Resistance sends Finn/Rose to DJ to assist in getting secret information and in turn under unforeseen circumstances must escape and then to obtain this further information they will go undercover as FO officers to retrieve said info.

In other words, now we're also retreading on Rogue One storylines. #sickburn

13. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

I don't think it's very likely, but oh, if only. He'd be so, so perfect.

oncafar likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i'm hoping for the dark (gray?) force user hacker now. i would love to see a force user who actually doesn't have/use a lightsaber, perhaps doesn't even know he has the force, but he knows that he has an exceptional gift where he can see codes or whatever in a way he's never seen anyone else able to do. as he seems to be someone who only acts in his self-interest, he sees that he can make a lot of money this way. most people will not suspect that someone can do what he can, so there isn't any security against it. it's like he has a magic power and most people wouldn't even believe it. it's just he has no idea he could have other magic powers too if he knew what this meant.

or perhaps better, maybe he realized that he might be strong in the force but keeps it on the low down. that would interest me because if i had the force i actually wouldn't become a warrior. i would hone its use so i could use it subtly and i would try to avoid any attention. people could think i was talented, but i wouldn't want them to suspect why.

RyanjohnN, 11-4D and Darth Imbecillis like this.
  15. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016

Oh, great. I like this idea so much that now the film is bound to disappoint...

oncafar likes this.
  16. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Some very interesting theories in this thread. I dig them. Of the new to this movie characters, I am finding myself drawn to DJ, because we know so little and that allows for speculation like what I am reading here. and above your post. I wonder if a non-dark side force sensitive could cloak their connection to the Force as the Sith do. I prefer the keeping the force abilities on the low down; this could work if DJ was a hero or villain.

Nice to read some fun speculation on this board today. I look forward to reading more.

Gigoran Monk and oncafar like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Fun fact: he was the original actor hired to play Darth Maul but left the project after GL cut a bunch of his lines.

oncafar likes this.
  18. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Source?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    A theif using the the Force to rob people? I'd probably misuse the Force like that too.

oncafar likes this.
  20. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    what's interesting to me is that i think there are probably some people that don't use the force to save or conquer the galaxy, who aren't ambitious like that. if i had the force, the temptation to wanna save everything (like all the animals from extinction) would be huge (also my dark side trial would be around this as i would feel anger towards "evil corporations" that destroy living beings, as i do now). but also i would see how i can make my own life easier in small ways ("using magic for personal gain"). and i have no interest in ruling anything. i'm not ambitious.

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't remember where I first heard about it but if you Google it there are articles about it.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  22. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    I actually afraid everything we talk about in this thread, will be insignificant and DJ will get only a few scenes with pseudo-importance.

23. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Why?

11-4D likes this.
  24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    if it werent for the fact that he gets his own detailed ship I would agree. He could be a Boba Fett type character, which would suit him.

25. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Tran describes Del Toro’s performance as coiled and disturbing. “When I was onset with that character, I felt like there was a tiger in the room, and I always had to be watching,” she says. “Like an animal, at any moment he could do something, and I didn’t know what.”

I can't quite say why but this quote from Tran gives me hope that DJ won't be used as pointlessly as Phasmal, Maz and Hux were in the previous movie.