main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Anyone Else Think Inferno Squad Is Weird? (not the story but the actual concept)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Ganner, Aug 1, 2017.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    It's true that if a mission that requires small group of people, a fireteam or a squad would be sent on some kind of spec ops mission. But most of the time in WW2 it's actually a platoon or a company that would be asked to hold a position until a certain time for the relatively larger army to escape the enemy's cauldron. These units would be a permanent type, not temporary ad hoc units put together in the last minute.
    No matter how romantic it is for holywood movies, a squad is not enough in most cases, as it cannot function independently, only a division or larger unit could do that.

In Star Wars what they could have done is have the Inferno Squad to be a strengthened unit of, let's say 20 fighters. But for some reason in the book before their "current" mission, all the other ones were lost in combat/missing in action so that four of them were the only ones left.

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It follows STAR WARS logic where Han, Luke, and Leia perform miracles.

3. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Pet project or not, I find it really weird that they apparently don't replace casualties.

4. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Incredibly weird. Like, imagine if RepCom 2 had no 4th Delta.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  5. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    havent read the novel but in my head cannon so far im viewing them in the same regard as the imperial agent in swtor mixed with the pub trooper. an elite unit with individual skills to protect the empire.

6. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Just finished Star Wars #25. I really liked SCAR Squad. Six people make up that squad. Made me think of this conversation.

I like when we see loyal Imps who aren't just blatant bad people.

In any case, no idea if it passes the military realism muster. Regardless of size, I'm pretty sure it does not. But damn fun to read. Maybe the best part of the arc.

Sent from Moto X-Wing

7. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I'm about half way through the book and just came across one of the most bizarre, silliest sequence of events. I don't have any problem at all with the set up of the squad or anything but for some reason this one really took me out of the book with it's stupidity. It was
    when Iden gets brought to the partisan camp and gets outraged that her kidnapper physically searched her, whereby other partisans agree and think she should get an apology. This really left me bewildered and a bit disgusted. In the middle of a violent galactic war there's characters that are portrayed as outraged that a prisoner was physically searched (like, that's it. Just patted down) for weapons/trackers when being brought to the rebel home base. What the **** do you think there going to do? Just hope that she's not a loaded spy because it would be inappropriate to touch her?

I'm still struggling to get past that incongruence. It's just so dumb

8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Emperor Horus

It's understandable why she would be outraged and why the others thinks she would be deserving of an apology. Was her kidnapper a female? Was the patdown a professional patdown to search for weapons? Or was it rough sexual groping? If even fellow partisans thinks it was kind of wrong, you can read between the lines of what happened.

9. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    What page was that on? I remember reading something like that but didn't think much of it at the time. I'll have to go back and read through it again. Perhaps you are leaving out some details that made that scene make since.

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    It was more than patted down. I think Azen completely undressed her, at minimum.

11. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Maybe, maybe not, but even if he went and cavity searched her the response to it all in the book was absurd. Not just from the perspective of how unrealistic it is, but I felt it trivialised sexual assault and even found it somewhat disrespectful of the horrors that people actually go through in war. This is a terrorist group that blows up civilians and straight-up murders people and they're getting worked up over someone (a dangerous prisoner) being strip searched as part of standard procedure. It was just so stupid.

edit: and I'm not even sure that's what it was, it was left deliberately vague but it really could have been nothing more than the guy patting her down and searching her pockets

12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    holy moly Emperor Horus. strip searching as standard procedure, by what kind of monster army? And people want to surrender?

13. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Jesus your priorities are seriously messed up if that's what makes someone a "monster army" in your eyes. Btw if you don't search prisoners/defectors it wouldn't be a monster army for much longer, it would be a very dead army.

14. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    a good patting down for weapons is a good policy. strip searching, humiliating and rough sexual groping is not. It's borderline war crime.

15. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Which is exactly what this is being portrayed as.

16. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    In some ways it's clearly a good thing that the Star Wars universe is very morally superior to our own (entire countries of women with dead husbands being raped by invading armies last century), torture being quite rare etc. But the contrast with them being outraged and expecting an apology by such a mundane procedure whereas blowing up civilians into little pieces gets a free pass is jarring.

17. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    They're not tortured because they're being squashed by heavy machinery or blown into stardust by planet killer lasers.

Jedi Ben, DurararaFTW and Outsourced like this.
  18. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
  19. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    She was fully stripped down, while unconcious, then searched. Then she was dressed again and he wasn't planning to mention it happening at all. Wouldn't have known it happened if their leader didn't ask some questions when she happened to be in the room. That isn't standard procedure anywhere.

Daneira and DARTH_MU like this.
  20. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    This is why I say NuNR is the same as NuEmpire. The New Boss, same as the Old Boss.

21. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    He searched a prisoner being brought in that they were unsure of. Why would you not expect a cavity search to be done. Throughout history people have hidden things in....places...to get them past searches and inspections.

I know...let's be civil and polite and not search her til we have her to our secret base and find out then that she has a tracker inside her that will lead the Enemy right to us.

22. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    So....
    In SW they don't have the technology to search for tracker wherever on her body without taking every single piece of clothing off. And let's do it while she is unconscious!

I want a scanning crew here on the double Why? Why do they have to take a heavy rectangular box? They could have just asked the stormtroopers to search the MF.

This is sexual assault. Pure and simple.
    Go ahead make excuses to hide the fact the NR is originally made of bandits and rogues.

And This is why some good people would rather to fight for the Empire rather than against.... In the New Canon.

23. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    You might do this to a prisoner with or without their permission, or to a willing passenger with their permission and not allow them passage if they refuse. But this was recruitiing her, but not telling her as much first or telling her they were going to a secure location before stunning her, then stripping her and searching her body. After which she had the choice of accepting not only this had happened but working for them outright or death, because as soon as soon as she woke up she saw too much. Which is more slavery then imprisonment. The partisans were behaving like a terrorist cell here, which is kind of the point.

Stymi likes this.
  24. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Scanners have been a thing since A New Hope. Strip-searches are so twenty-first century.

DARTH_MU likes this.