main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The GFFA Needs Captain Planet (angry ecology rant thread)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Barriss_Coffee, Aug 8, 2017.

1. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    This has been a pretty big plot thread in a lot of new canon books actually (The Empire not caring about planets, overmining and destroying their environments etc) and a big reason that people have stood up to them, starting with A New Dawn where it was pretty much the entire plot of the book.

Much more so than the old EU where it wasn't really mentioned at all, which makes me think that maybe they're going somewhere with this

Sounds familiar

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I see somebody have not read the Jedi Prince series

3. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Thank you! Here, have an honorary Starkiller Jedi Robe.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's that, and I also remember from Wook that the Tarkin family destroyed the environment on Eriadu for profit. Not sure if that's still canon or not.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I wonder if Lando's next business venture will be to create a theme park with cloned animals that went extinct on Starkiller Base?

Am I misremembering, or weren't there big animals shown in the distant background on Starkiller Base in a few shots?

6. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    On second thought, since the superweapon depleted the system's sun, had the planet not been destroyed there would have been an ecological disaster anyway.

Yep, Starkiller base had a hyperdrive capability, but, would the First Order even care to go to another system and put the planet in just the appropriate orbit around another sun?

7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    I was thinking about that when typing the post...

8. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I figured

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Heck the GFFA has entire planets just dedicated to trash

10. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    That one where Kazdan Paratus dwelt after order 66 is a fine example of a planet being used as a junkyard.

Ecological concerns are mentioned in the old eu but they aren't so important to the story and are really worldbuilding in passing.

Such as efforts to preserve semi-sentient species, nature preserves and so on.

11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Come to think of it, what would a GFFA environmentalism campaign look like? Google Image search to the rescue! :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Those are both very amusing pictures.

I imagine school kids in the GFFA probably learn about environmental destruction, species preservation, and so on.

"Now kids what is one consequence of in-regulated development and industrialization. "Ecological destruction, species extinction, habitat destruction, etc... Correct answer! Now kids the school science club is taking a trip to Hoth. You must pay 50 credits by the beginning of next week if you wish to attend."

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Gamiel likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Nice, I only have two myself.

16. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Bring back The Glove of Darth Vader. That'll teach the kids to save the Whaladons.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  17. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Today on Imperial Conservation we have a special guest, Grand Moff Tarkin, who will be taking us on a camping trip to the Carrion Spike so we might learn more about his planet's native ecology.... [face_rofl]

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Good god man, are you trying to dig up those repressed memories?

19. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    In a galaxy where almost every planet you encounter can support advanced live, ecology and preservation seems a bit unnecessary. Plus if something goes extinct you can always clone it or create new life in a lab.

Kinda like in real world history, people genuinely believed that the resources of the world are unlimited, therefore there's nothing wrong with taking anything you want as much as you want.

Sarge likes this.
  20. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm for developing first, making sure you have enough to eat and warm clothes to wear. Then worry about the environment. However unnecessary cutting down trees for sake of greed? And in SW, this massive disregard for an entire planet? I'd like someone try to clone trilobytes. No? You can't get the DNA?

21. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I'd say ecological preservation is necessary-AIR the solo kids went to a zoo showing holographic representations of extinct animals once.

So I imagine that in galactic history(and prehistory) quintillion of species have gone extinct. I mean imagine pre-historic Coruscant, or Kashyyyk, or Tatooine.

Daneira and Gamiel like this.
  22. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Well, I mean it's idiocy for the population to worry about the environment, say in African warlord controlled areas where people are hungry and don't have comfortable clothes and are in imminent danger all the time.

23. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Why do you think is one of the major factors leading to the conditions that make those areas of the world so susceptible to social and political unrest, particularly lack of food and drinking water and the spread of disease?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  24. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A lack of stable political institutions, ethnic or religious history and sectarianism? The after effects of colonialism or proxy wars?

Environmental issues are often at best only indirect causes of conflict and even then their influence is debateable.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Ehhhh, there's a yes and a no there.

The environment is usually a slow burn problem this is true but I live in an area where there have been massive spikes in cancer and outright groundwater poisoning. There's quite a few places where the environment can and does get contaminated to the point of outright killing people. Even in America. Beyond America, these can become massive crises.

For example, you can have places where rivers are destroyed or ground water completely rendered inaccessible or places where food sources are taken over by the government/stolen by warlords so they are exported out rather than given to the people. Not to mention the fact there's places where food supplies are genetically modified so they can only be grown with chemicals from a certain company (Monsato, COUGH).

Africa, in particular, is a place where the cushion of American infrastructure doesn't exist in many places. In Las Vegas or California, when there's a drought, there's ways around it. In Africa, droughts can kill many many people especially when, say, a river is outright destroyed or it doesn't rain as much.

anakinfansince1983 and Gamiel like this.