main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Inferno Squad

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Feb 17, 2017.

1. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Decent book, if a little slow for what it is advertised as being. Good characters, The Mentor was handled very well. Overall, I liked the first Battlefront novel better.

2. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    First one was good but I think Golden did a better job with fleshing out the characters than Alexander Freed did in his book.

coervus and IG_2000 like this.
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    Oh I completely agree, even if the first was overall a bit more entertaining

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    A great book especially
    it got me to like lux

5. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    I was pleasantly surprised by this book. Definitely wasn't expecting much after the abomination that was Dark Disciple but this was very readable, if a bit simplistic. Wouldn't mind seeing more from thee characters.

6. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Good story, took a little while for it to get going but the last 75-100 pages were really good. Golden did a good job with the characters in Inferno Squad and the Dreamers. Would definitely read another story featuring Iden, Gid and Del.

7. DurararaFTW

DurararaFTW Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2014
    Finally was able to get it yesterday. Really great story.

Makes me sad Seyn isn't in the game. Inferno Squad really doesn't feel complete without the actual ISB agent, given it's function.

Daneira likes this.
  8. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    Finished the other day. I really liked it for a while...but I thought the last quarter or so of the book petered out...was a little boring even.

Rating: 7.5/10

Sent from Moto X-Wing

9. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Not a bad entry. Liked the references but overall it was okay. I never really felt like I needed to rush back to keep reading or squeeze one more chapter out late at night.

Liked the squad members and looking forward to their development in BF2.

Both Battlefront novels are low on my list of new canon novels. I can't even remember the characters from the first although the actual story was decent. Hope Phasma in a few weeks is a stand out.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I just finished this. I enjoyed it far more than I was expecting to.

Great characters, I mostly like the way they were developed and I like the way the Squadron was set up. Iden's relationship with the cold-ass father and absent mother was well done, as was the development of her relationship with the other members of the Squadron.

There was the undercurrent of romantic melodrama that seems to run through Golden's books--"Will they? Won't they?" I particularly noticed it with Iden and Gideon.

I also liked the references to Rogue One, and Galen Erso's "betrayal of the Empire." The opening scene with Iden surviving the Death Star explosion and having its shrapnel flying at her was fantastic.

I was a bit thrown off by some of the undercover activities, though, especially Iden's initial "change of heart." It took me about a chapter to figure out what was happening.

The school scene, and Seyn being a bit softer than anticipated, was a welcome one. I was reading along and not looking forward to either side being willing to blow up a school for any "greater good."

And oh...Lux. I never liked you, but you were tolerable here.

It would have been nice to find out who the hell his stepdaughter was though.

My Xbox is a 360 so I won't be playing Battlefront unless I upgrade soon, but the book was great.

Stymi likes this.
  11. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    I have to say that I owe Golden a bit of an apology. I hated Dark Disciple with a fiery vengeance. But I actually liked this. The characters were well-written, there were some interesting motivations, the plot moved along well (if a little slowly). Overall, I have to say that I really enjoyed it. Not as much as the first Battlefront novel, but still...

12. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    While I really enjoyed this book, I have to admit, when this book was announced, I was hoping for the Imperial equivalent of Twilight Company. Golden unfortunately ended up glossing over Inferno Squad's more routine missions and instead spent time on their undercover work, but I suppose she was selected because that's the kind of book the Story Group wanted. In that way, this book can't really be compared to Twilight Company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I like this book quite a bit.

Buy I really want another Twilight Company-esque book.

14. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    One of the reasons I think people don't like Dark Disciple is because it had pre-existing characters and everyone is bound to their own interpretation of characters. I don't like Dooku's portrayal because he massacred an entire species basically for the LOLs.

15. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    I don't know about that. I'd say the main reason people don't like it is because it is an horrific attempt at a piece of literature. I found it basically unreadable.

my kind of scum likes this.
  16. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Again, Dooku's portrayal was pretty much being evil for the LOLs.

17. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    Yeah, you said that

18. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    Any particular reason why?

19. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    It was a while ago. I just remember it was incredibly silly, simplistic and just a ridiculous story in general. Obviously the author didn't have much to work with being based on TCW scripts (a kids show) but her writing added nothing. It was just horrible in every way imaginable. I wish I could remember more to explain why I felt that way but I think I've repressed it, and I don't plan on putting myself through it again.

20. Outsourced

Apr 10, 2017
    I'd disagree with the scripts being too simplistic or childish. I mean, The Clone Wars wasn't really a pure kids show since Season 2, and that was the season with Landing at Point Rain in it, so I'm even iffy there.

The book was admittedly rough in places, but the way you portray it makes it sound like My Immortal or something.

21. EmperorHorus

Sep 3, 2016
    For me, almost everything that happened in the book, the way characters reacted to things etc. were all absurdly unrealistic and childish. Which I would say about pretty much all of TCW. It had no depth at all, and no redeeming features like you'd see in Karen Traviss' novelisation for TCW movie. That was a good example of making the most out of **** source material.

Stymi likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I like most of TCW and I still thought Dark Disciple was irredeemable dreck. But as with Golden's terrible FOTJ books, she was shackled to making someone else's unworkable plot work, so I'm not surprised that Inferno Squad turned out better. I don't think it's so much about preexisting characters as preexisting plots.

my kind of scum and Daneira like this.
  23. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The plot demanded Asajj Ventress dead?
    I think some animosity toward a work such as Dark Disciple is because some fan favourites dies.
    No more Asajj Ventress in Disney canon.

24. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    That was my main issue with it....why could Ventress and Voss not have had their happy ending....disappearing into a quiet life on some minor backwater world where no one knows them.

25. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Vos got mentioned in ROTS and a deleted scene indicating his death on Kashyyyk.