main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT How does Ape Trilogy compare to Classic Star Wars Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Bob the X-Winger, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    Just got back from watching War For The Planet of the Apes. Comparing it to the Star Wars Trilogy do you feel it succeeded in capturing the mood of the times. I found it to be awesome. CGI was great but i digress. Has a very solid story about a relatable human like Ape. In the Star Wars Saga you see similar style with all those aliens acting and behaving like everyday people. The difference appears to me to be the action is more pronounced in the Star Wars Saga whereas the Ape Trilogy emphasises drama. The two Trilogies are good comparisons as they are both so similar and yet different at the same time.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think both trilogies are too different to compare, to be honest.

J7Luke and Master_Rebado like this.
  3. Bordell Eli

Bordell Eli Jedi Knight

Jan 28, 2017
    Night and Day dude. The only thing that they have in common. Is that they are both works of fiction.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    They're both good trilogies.....

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  5. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016
    One is a work of cinematic genius that will forever stand the test of time in Star Wars. The other has one amazing film and two above average blockbusters. I dont think they are even in the same territory. Time will tell I guess.

MrMojoRisin and J7Luke like this.
  6. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think Apes is more relevant, although the OT surely wins in terms of nostalgia and for being cinematic comfort food. I agree that I never considered comparing the two despite that they're both effects heavy SF films.

7. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Relevant to what? That word is thrown around so much nowadays. I don't think it means what most people think it means.....

8. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    Not only are they both Sci-Fi they both are War Epics hence the title in the name and revolve around the journey of the main characters. Star Wars has Luke, Leia, Han, Obi Wan and Vader all developed while in the Apes we see each of the Apes all CGI given screen time and the viewer is taken into the world. Kinda of like Star Wars if R2D2, C-3PO and Chewbacca were central characters of the story put front and centre.

9. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

Relevant is not hard to define. It means appropriate to the current time. Style wise and in terms of the narrative and its themes, Apes makes me think about the real world despite all its fantastic elements. The OT, not nearly as much.

10. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Relevant: "closely connected or appropriate to what is being done or considered". It is not relevant to space operas, it is not relevant to candy bars or clothing. It is not relevant to classic rock. Had you asked if it were more relevant to the current time than Star Wars, I would have agreed with you a bit more.

11. ezekiel22x

Aug 9, 2002

I didn't ask anything in the first place. I'm sorry I wasn't more specific. In the discussion circles I frequent, "relevancy" is most often understood to refer to contemporary issues (social, political, environmental, etc.) rather than candy bars.

12. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Apology accepted Captain Needa. And might I add, nice touch with the candy bars reference. Certainly relevant to the previous statement.

13. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    From what I read many years ago, we should be grateful for the original Planet of the Apes movie series, because otherwise 20th Century Fox might have had second thoughts ever financing an adventure like Star Wars.

It's also obvious that the first Planet of the Apes film - just like Star Wars - was a standalone film with nobody seriously considering a sequel, back then.

14. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

Sci Fi was only getting off the ground back then when Planet of the Apes came around it paved the way for later works such as Star Wars itself, Star Trek The Motion Picture & Alien. Although of the 4 Star Wars focused less on the Sci-Fi element.