main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Comics Marvel Star Wars: General News & Trades Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    That part got me worried for Sana's fate.

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Yeah. I mean, I can see that Sana's death would have a deeply effect on Aphra - maybe we'll then see more of the good in Aphra if she actually grieves over Sana. But I also think it would be a waste. I want to see more character development for Sana - haven't read issue #34 yet, but what I've read in the other thread sounds like a good start.

Please, Marvel. Don't kill her off.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

Senpezeco likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Guys, you have Darth Gillen on the book, be afraid, be very afraid.

Dante1120 likes this.
  4. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    Didn't you say the same for Aphra in the Darth Vader comic? [face_whistling]
    Though the use of "tragedy" makes me believe there's going to be some inevitable losses from the Alliance's side.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, of course just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never will. ;)

What I like about Gillen is he's good at making a shock development feel like one, no telegraphing, no hints - blam, it just happens.

vncredleader and spicer like this.
  6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Agreed though that can also be his greatest failure. His IM run has one good foreshadowing thing with Arno but otherwise it just sorta throws twists and sudden characters at you and it becomes way to overloaded. I love Gillan don't get me wrong he is my favorite Marvel guy right now, but I do hope he gets better with his plotting issues when it comes to............well plotting issues :p

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Definitely excited for Gillen's run to start and for us to get into the meat and potatoes part of the story inbetween Ep. IV and V. Also glad to see that he said he will be bringing characters from his other series into this one. He said he has the Aphra series mapped out until issue #25 so obviously Aphra won't be appearing prior to that. But after issue #25??? Hmmm. I think some strong hints there that Aphra might become a main character in the regular line after that.

vncredleader likes this.
  8. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well he could still have Aphra in crossovers prior to issue 25. I would imagine he does some build up to her joining our heroes

9. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    But he said in that interview that currently there are no crossovers planned.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

10. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Really? I am shocked.

11. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    He could also be hedging. Or something happens to prevent a cross over in the Aphra book. We know the direction of the main title.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

12. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    He did say the events of the Star Wars comic are really going to affect Aphra in her own comic. So even though there might not be any 'official' crossovers it does sound like he is starting the process of merging the two stories into one.

Just to speculate on what could happen the main theme of the second year could be Darth Vader being hotter on her tail than he was the first year. She obviously has burned a lot of bridges already with the people that could potentially help her within the crime world so the Rebellion might be the place she looks to next. She might spend a couple arcs developing a way that the Rebellion would need her and would take her in.

vncredleader likes this.
  13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    It would be nice if she runs into some other Rebels at some point and that sets up the Rebellion keeping tabs on her

14. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Yeah there would definitely be room for her to interact with the Rebellion without it causing her to be put in direct contact with the characters involved in the main book. The Rebellion is a large and growing organization at this time so there would be lots of different layers to it.

vncredleader likes this.
  15. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Those covers are good.

All that rules out is a crossover event, Marvel can still do a big event mini that impacts the entire line, say Vader Rampage, a 6-issue slaughterthon coming soon.

tatooinesandworm likes this.
  17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    Hey all, thought I'd share some useful information I've learned with my fellow hardcover deal-hunters.

I've noticed some sellers have listed hardcover comics at a strangely low price, with a "Like New" condition and mention of a remainder mark or publisher overstock. The Heroes for a New Hope hardcover in particular seemed overpriced to me, so when I saw a listing for roughly 50% off the Amazon price, I figured I'd give it a shot. Here's the outcome:
    [​IMG]
    I got it for $25 Canadian compared to the cover price of $63 and average Amazon.ca price of ~$50, and all because there was a tiny black marker dot on the BOTTOM of the hardcover. When it's sitting on the shelf the mark is not even visible, and since I never even look at the bottom of my hardcovers I consider that one a big win.

On the other hand, I was not quite as lucky with my Amazing Spider-Man hardcover:
    [​IMG]
    That time they put the mark on the top instead, which is a little more irritating. However, I still got a great deal so I can't complain too much.

I tried searching for comic book remainder marks before my purchases and didn't really find many helpful images. My experience has been mixed so I can't recommend whether or not you should buy overstock copies, but at least I could give you an idea of what to expect.

18. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    November 2017 solicitations.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG].
    STAR WARS #38 & #39
    Kieron Gillen (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Covers by DAVID MARQUEZ
    ISSUE #38 - VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL WALSH
    ISSUE #38 - VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON
    ISSUE #38 - HOMAGE VARIANT COVER BY Pepe Larraz
    ISSUE #38 - STAR WARS 40TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY KRIS ANKA
    ISSUE #38 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVERS BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    ISSUE #39 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVERS BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    THE ASHES OF JEDHA!
    KIERON GILLEN’S FIRST ISSUE ON STAR WARS!
    The Rebel Alliance turns its attention to the shattered planet of Jedha! Once the site of great significance to the Jedi, Jedha was left in ruins when the Death Star annihilated the Holy City there. Now, new series writer Kieron Gillen joins artist Salvador Larroca to bring Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest to the remains of the tragic victim of the Empire’s fury!
    32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T …$3.99 (EACH)
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #7 & #8
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Covers by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    LEGACY’S END BEGINS!
    As Vader takes his place in command of the Emperor’s secret Inquisitorius Program, he sets his sights on one of the most dangerous Jedi remaining alive…and it’s not who you’d expect.
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: JEDI OF THE REPUBLIC - MACE WINDU #4 (of 5)
    MATTHEW OWENS (W)
    DENYS COWAN (A)
    Cover by JESUS SAIZ
    Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary
    Variant Cover by WILL SLINEY
    • Mace’s faith in the Jedi path is tested when he is challenged – by one of his own!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99
    Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.
    Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2017 Lucasfilm Ltd.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #21
    CHARLES SOULE (W)
    Angel Unzueta (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    • Black Squadron is on a mission…
    • Impossible? Not for Poe Dameron’s crew!
    • It’s prison break time!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #14
    Kieron Gillen & SIMON Spurrier (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by MARK BROOKS
    • Doctor Aphra’s antics are causing mayhem once again…
    • But is she really the one calling the shots?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

19. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Marvel's November 2017 solicitations:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    STAR WARS #38 & #39
    Kieron Gillen (W) • SALVADOR LARROCA (A)
    Covers by DAVID MARQUEZ
    ISSUE #38 - VARIANT COVER BY MICHAEL WALSH
    ISSUE #38 - VARIANT COVER BY TERRY DODSON
    ISSUE #38 - HOMAGE VARIANT COVER BY Pepe Larraz
    ISSUE #38 - STAR WARS 40TH ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVER BY KRIS ANKA
    ISSUE #38 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVERS BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    ISSUE #39 - ACTION FIGURE VARIANT COVERS BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
    THE ASHES OF JEDHA!
    KIERON GILLEN’S FIRST ISSUE ON STAR WARS!
    The Rebel Alliance turns its attention to the shattered planet of Jedha! Once the site of great significance to the Jedi, Jedha was left in ruins when the Death Star annihilated the Holy City there. Now, new series writer Kieron Gillen joins artist Salvador Larroca to bring Luke, Leia, Han, and the rest to the remains of the tragic victim of the Empire’s fury!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    DARTH VADER #7 & #8
    CHARLES SOULE (W) • GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI (A)
    Covers by FRANCESCO MATTINA
    LEGACY’S END BEGINS!
    As Vader takes his place in command of the Emperor’s secret Inquisitorius Program, he sets his sights on one of the most dangerous Jedi remaining alive…and it’s not who you’d expect.

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: JEDI OF THE REPUBLIC - MACE WINDU #4 (of 5)
    MATTHEW OWENS (W)
    DENYS COWAN (A)
    Cover by JESUS SAIZ
    Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY
    Variant Cover by WILL SLINEY
    • Mace’s faith in the Jedi path is tested when he is challenged – by one of his own!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: POE DAMERON #21
    CHARLES SOULE (W)
    Angel Unzueta (A)
    Cover by PHIL NOTO
    Variant Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    • Black Squadron is on a mission…
    • Impossible? Not for Poe Dameron’s crew!
    • It’s prison break time!
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

[​IMG]
    STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #14
    Kieron Gillen & SIMON Spurrier (W) • EMILIO LAISO (A)
    Cover by ASHLEY WITTER
    Star Wars 40th Anniversary Variant Cover by MARK BROOKS
    • Doctor Aphra’s antics are causing mayhem once again…
    • But is she really the one calling the shots?
    32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

20. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Diego Lucas haha beat me by a fraction of a second

21. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Captain Tolvan! Did she make it off the Outer Rim planet Aphra dumped her on? Or did Aphra return to pick her back up? Will they be clashing or colluding? Or both, and in what order? I wanna knooow.

Their last encounter ended with Aphra remarking "Killing you is the only smart move... but you're cute." Alright, what's our ship name? Tolphra? :p

Barriss_Coffee and Jedha John like this.
  22. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    That Doctor Aphra cover is AWESOME! Ashley Witter is the perfect cover artist for the Aphra series. I'm psyched that she got a regular cover after her amazing work on the Aphra #1 and Aphra #8 variants. Tolvan looking the most sinister she has ever looked...and Aphra looking all steam-punk western!

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Right now this image is the only thing that comes up when you do an image search for Tolphra.

[​IMG]

That soon may change!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Senpezeco and Darth_Voider like this.
  24. Senpezeco

Senpezeco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2014
    Holy macaroni, in all my years of image searching I've never even exhausted the search results, let alone had a query return exactly one image. I feel like we need a term analogous to Googlewhack for such a feat. Maybe 'Googlejam', after jammin. This isn't snark, this is sincere mild surprise. Huh.

jamminjedi23 likes this.
  25. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Just a couple other thoughts about the Aphra cover. It looks like she might be on the run from the Empire in my opinion and Vader may have assigned Tolvan to hunt her down. Aphra's face looks pretty dirty and it looks like those are intended to be sweat marks on her (unless she has suddenly developed a whole lot of facial moles over the past couple months).

We also need to remember that in universe it has been about three or four months since Aphra dropped Tolvan off on that planet so I doubt Tolvan would have just been sitting around for that long without finding a way to contact the Empire.

Senpezeco yeah. That was actually an image from a newspaper page from Nashville, Tennessee dated May 30, 1993.