main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Poe Dameron #14-19: Legend Lost & Annual #1 (6/7 released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TiniTinyTony , May 3, 2017.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Hobbie. And many are not happy about it, with good reason.

vncredleader likes this.
  2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I assume this means Veers also died during Hoth.

3. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The book doesn't actually explicitly say, so Veers Watch still lives in hope. But it's probable, especially given the stated reasoning for killing off Hobbie.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Eh, then he went down like a boss.

5. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Although the Databank isn't always very... accurate, Veers is called a veteran of Hoth in his entry. Until proven otherwise, I'll keep counting him as alive.

6. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    edit never mind

7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Poe Dameron #18 preview
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Revanfan1 and MercenaryAce like this.
  8. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    That looks really good. Nice alien design (is that new?) and interesting set up for the First Order. I'm really loving this type of 'expansion', and how the First Order seems very obsessed with being superior to the Empire.

vncredleader, spicer and SilentGuy66 like this.
  9. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    You have to wonder if the FO REALLY IS superior to the old empire or if it's just propaganda burned into the soldiers at birth.

vncredleader and spicer like this.
  10. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Yeah, kudos to Marvel for coming up with new non-human species and vehicle designs.

11. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah I am loving the FO's bull. They actually think they are being reasonable. It is so disgusting and totally nails what fascism actually looks like.

12. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
  13. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I really hope we'll get more information about the political, social and economic structure of the FO one day.

Like, how much territory do they actually govern directly? How is their government structured or are they basically just a military that extorts planets under its influence? How do they recruit? Do they steal children or do they have "breeding" programs? Do they have a home planet or are they space based?

Honestly, right now the FO reminds me a lot of ISIS. Terrorist organisation than finances itself through criminal activity and that likes to pretend its an actual working state.

Like the art in the preview btw :)

MercenaryAce and vncredleader like this.
  14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    "I was taken from a family I'll never know" - Finn

And that evolved from Brendol Hux's youth indoctrination methods. Probably the only people who willingly signed up were older people who had served under the Empire. The majority of those serving the FO by the time of TFA were raised from infancy to love and obey Big Brother Snoke.

15. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    This was great issue, I really liked it. The plot is getting more complex, and I felt like splitting the group into two teams really helped with the pacing. I've very interested to see where this goes. Lately the artwork for this series has been amazing, Angel Unzueta has quickly become one of my favourite Star Wars artists.

16. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

Yeah, but where exactly do they take these children from?

Unless parents give up their children voluntarily (which in case of hard line Imperials is possible) they must be kidnapped from human planets. These planets can't be part of the New Republic or closely affiliated with the New Republic, otherwise the New Republic government would know that the FO is up to something and probably building an army.

So these children must come from human planets in the Unknown Regions or undeveloped human planets in the Outer Rim/Wild Space that don't have contact with the rest of the galaxy (imagine Endor, but with humans).

I know I'm probably giving this way more thought than people actually writing the screenplay of TFA did, but I hope these questions will be answered in upcoming comics and books.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I find some of these questions require odd assumptions by themselves.

Like the idea the First Order doesn't have territory, slaves, or families to oppress.

18. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Another good issue. You can tell that they are wrapping up this series with how much quicker the pace is now. I'm curious to see if Kare meets her demise before the end of the book. We know that Snap and Jess survives but Kare is still an open book as to what could happen to her.

vncredleader likes this.
  19. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    I don't think they thought about this properly whilst releasing the TFA movie let alone whilst writing it!!!

Abrams Star Trek Reboot is a good indication of how badly they can mess up anyone bothering to understand what's going on!

20. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    I loved this issue. More great character stuff for Jess (so you know why I loved it) as well as better characterization for Poe than I think any other issue of this book. It sucks that as it is finally wrapping up it begins to get really good. Then again still holding out for a Jess comic. Also based on that final page I just wanna say
    THE SADISTIC CHOICE
    [​IMG]

iPodwithnomusic likes this.
  21. MrDarth0

Oct 3, 2015

Yeah, it doesn't feel like they gave the First Order much thought when they were developing it, other than "lets make Empire 2.0 that's even more evil and totalitarian".

I can't really imagine Abrams and Kasdan sitting there, discussing the logistics of building something like the Starkiller Base or socio-economic structure of the First Order when they were writing the screenplay :)

Anyway, I'll stop here as this isn't the thread to discuss this. Getting back on topic, I really enjoyed the last few issues of Poe Dameron. I imagine they'll probably wrap up the story before TLJ is released and then either cancel the series or they will continue, but with a post-TLJ storyline.

22. Commander_Andersen

Commander_Andersen Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 10, 2004
    I think we'll get a fourth TPB, starting with Issue 20. Marvel's next round of solicits (November?) should be revealed on Monday/Tuesday.

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009

I'm really liking this story arc. If you haven't been reading this title, now is a good time to check it out.

24. GFFAwakens

GFFAwakens Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 24, 2015
    This is probably a minority opinion, but Poe Dameron continues to be my least favorite SW comic by far...and it isn't even close. I did like the "moral dilemma" scene in the most recent issue, but the quality of the dialogue in the Poe scenes is almost laughably bad. The villains are incredibly goofy to boot. I want to like this comic so badly because of how relevant it should be to the ST...but I just can't. I'm glad other people are enjoying it, but I might take a break from spending the $3.99 on it every month.

That said, Dr. Aphra is so good. Would love to see Poe Dameron hit the same quality level.

Jedha John and vncredleader like this.
  25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    We already have Marvel's Jan-Apr 2018 catalogue:

http://edel-images.azureedge.net/ea/TW/pdfs/LOWRES MARBKPREVIEW2013014_FULL.pdf

All this means is no Poe V4 trade until May 2018 at the earliest.