main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: On The Front Lines

Discussion in 'Literature' started by King of Alsakan, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dan Wallace

Dan Wallace Author: Essential Atlas, Essential Guides, RPG star 3 VIP

Aug 17, 1998
    Basically this. With Latara it felt like I was getting too far into the weeds (even though it felt more natural to imagine her as a guerilla fighter.)

2. Grand Admiral Paxis

Grand Admiral Paxis Jedi Master star 3

Sep 2, 2012
    My copy just arrived today. I was really looking forward to posting some spoilers, since not too much had been said in this thread or on Wookieepedia, but it looks like most of the new stuff has already been covered. Sadly, with the exception of the Hammerhead corvette Consonance, all the newly named ships were already given in the previews. I did have some observations, though:

- Some people have already pointed out that the MC80 cruisers at Endor were between 1,200 and 1,500 metres in length. However, a bit of detail got lost in translation there. The text actually says that the cruisers averaged between those lengths, meaning that while the bulk fell within that range, others could conceivably be smaller or larger. I quite like the vagueness there, given the Home One length debate and the Rebels MC80 model apparently being somewhere in the ~1,900 metres mark.
    - I also noticed two possible discrepancies. Admiral Gorin's sidebar at Scarif mentions that he eventually ceded command of the orbital battle upon Tarkin's arrival. I was under the impression that he was already dead by the time the Death Star arrived (although I suppose that could be regarded as Tarkin assuming command, in a matter of speaking). Also, in the Battle of Jakku segment, Thane Kyrell is given the rank of Commander, despite him still being referred to as a Lieutenant at the time.

Nothing else really stuck out in my mind, with the obvious exception of things that people have already discussed. Still, if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

3. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    Does this mean we might get a Kneesaa Forces of Destiny episode?

4. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    I noticed a strange inconsistency in the Ryloth section, which says that Tambor set up shop in a citadel near Lessu, rather than the city itself like every other source, maybe even the episode, says.

5. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    Kneesa + Latara + Cindel Towani

My impression based on the episode was that the plasma bridge location was slightly removed from what we'd consider "downtown" Lessu, but not by much. I don't think it's a contradiction, just a different interpretation of where the city limits are drawn.

6. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Just like how people in the Bronx will still refer to Manhattan as "the City."

7. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The citadel did look like it was a distance away from the city proper, which clung to the sides of the mountain. :)

8. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    So I managed to get my eyes on a copy (didn't buy since I've got it on order elsewhere).

Things I spotted (and can hopefully remember right - memory isn't the best most days):

Bultar Swan boarded the same gunship as Stass Allie. First source to confirm it.
    Razor was originally CT-6910.
    Odd Ball was originally CC-2237.
    Black Squadron is back at Yavin.
    Thane Kyrell was a commander at the time of Jakku (likely squad commander as it meant he would outrank Yendor).
    Ello Asty saved a pilot called Blue Nine during the Battle of Starkiller Base (could be C'ai Threnalli, Lieutenant Wright, Niv Lek, R1 or another pilot).

9. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006
    Dan Wallace is the Convalescence the name of the Hammerhead corvette seen jumping to hyperspace at the end of the Battle of Scarif in Rogue One or is it the second one that was still there when the Devastator was bearing down on the Profundity and the poor Nebulon-B?

10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Hammerhead that is featured in OTFL is named the Consonance, it is described as one of the Hammerheads that escapes Scarif. I'm assuming (Dan can confirm) that it is the one with blue markings seen in this scene:

[​IMG]

--Adm. Nick

11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    You know, I still occasionally have this moment of disbelief that basically the Endar Spire has been featured on the big screen in a Star Wars movie. It boggles my mind, and I love it. :D

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I hope that some KOTOR fans who haven't seen Rebels had a moment of excited disbelief when they saw it on screen the first time.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

WMIRTUTSF, Revanfan1 and vncredleader like this.
  13. Dan Wallace

Aug 17, 1998
    The one jumping to hyperspace, but as Adm. Nick notes it's named Consonance.

14. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

Yeah I got mixed up on names. I'm working off my memory on the name and I must have gotten mixed up.

Thanks for the information.

15. GatalentanKing

GatalentanKing Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2016
    Hi Dan Wallace, do you happen to know if On the Front Lines will be released digitally? I know Star Wars Propaganda, anoher art-heavy book, received a digital release within a month or two after its release. I would absolutely love it if On the Front Lines also got released digitally.

16. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @Noash_Retrac

Thane and Yendor can both be the rank of commander....whoever was promoted first would then be in command due to time in grade.

17. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Dan Wallace The story of Musmuris Reetgeet features the Glaciate, an "Interdictor cruiser." But is it the same model as in Star Wars Rebels? Might sound like a stupid question, but in Legends, the Empire used two similar (yet different) ships referred to as Interdictors: the Immobilizer 418 and the Interdictor-class Star Destroyer. So errr... which is it? :p

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    We actually already HAVE multiple Interdictor classes being used by the Empire in canon, per the Tarkin novel.

19. Noash_Retrac

Nov 14, 2006

I think it mentioned that the Glaciate was 600 meters long and was an Immobilizer 418 (or maybe I'm misremembering).

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It should be noted that one Ewoks series character has made it into the newcanon - Asha:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Asha_Fahn

at least in broad strokes. I think it was Ewok Poet that mentioned how the author had made it clear someplace - that it was a shout-out to the series.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Yes, the author of Return of the Jedi: Beware of the Power of the Dark Side told me so on Twitter. :)

Looks like I missed a lot here. But I would be delighted if Latara ever made it to the new canon.

22. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    I wonder where the name "Fahn" came from, though. Maybe I only dreamed of it, but I seem to remember asking the author on Twitter, and him answering that the name was provided by the Story Group.

23. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Is Ultimate Star Wars canon?? It says Hobbie ejected.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's very early newcanon - and has been retconned in places already. So the Front Lines book would be counted as retconning it, even if until the Front Lines book came out, Hobbie ejected and survived.

Jedi Knight Fett and Daneira like this.
  25. LelalMekha

Oct 29, 2012
    Ultimate Star Wars is canon, but of the "early installement weirdness" type. It was published waaaay too early.

Daneira and vncredleader like this.