main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is Ewan coming back?

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    We don't know yet, but we hope so. We'll probably learn that when the movie itself is officially confirmed.

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Hope it takes place in the early days of the empire. Maybe they haven't completely converted to the OT look, still has clones etc.

4. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Also maybe they could give him a master/apprentice relationship with a young woman who might be related to him!

5. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've got to stay I'm still a little mystified that Stephen Daldry is in talks to tackle this. He's capable and competent, but nothing in his work ventures close to this material.

gezvader28 likes this.
  6. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Hmm. Quietly hoping that whatever narrative they come up with it involves Kenobi travelling off planet at some point. Though I could deal with an entirely Tatooine based story, it IS going to be a Star Wars film, after all.
    Also, I wonder wether it'll be somewhat related to us by way of an Obi Wan voiceover? It would make sense I feel.

TX-20 and Dra--- like this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    They would be damn fools for not hiring Ewan to reprise his roll. He's still a commercially viable, and damn good, actor, and is the perfect age.

And I hope this further quells the endless whines that Lucasfilm/Disney are scared of the big, bad PT. Because even if they go for young Obi Wan, this thing has PT era written all over it.

8. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Websites for years: "They should DEFINITELY make an Obi-Wan movie! Why are they wasting their time making a Han Solo movie? They should make an Obi-Wan movie instead. That's what we NEED!"

The same websites now: "Ugh, do we really NEED an Obi-Wan movie? Why are all the standalone films about popular characters? The whole point of Star Wars is every character has loads of untold stories to tell! Just don't actually tell those stories though or we'll whine about how we only liked those characters because we didn't know much about them."

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The moral of the story is that complaining gets clicks. Nerds are only happy when they're unhappy.

Darth Nave, TX-20 and jaqen like this.
  10. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    In my mind I think it's a 100% given the Obi Wan film will be set in the OT era. Rogue One was and the Solo standalone most definitely is too. Besides, the intrigue in Obi Wan isn't about his younger years. He's a young Padawan in TPM after all. There is a story to tell on film about his time on Tatooine however. And Disney must be monumental idiots if theyre even thinking about casting anyone other than Ewan for the lead role..
    As sure as night turns into day, Ewan McGregor will play the role of Obi Wan once more

jaqen likes this.
  11. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I agree, but I don't consider the vast span of time between ROTS and ANH as the OT era. It depends when, along the spectrum, this film takes place.

Regardless, EM as Obi Wan, regardless of setting, is the largest PT era validation, short of bringing bringing back Hayden.

sizziano likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It also allows them to continue using the OT era props, sets, and costumes that they've already made. The more they reuse things, the more they save money, and maximize profits.

Dra--- and jaqen like this.
  13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Its fair to say that anything after ROTS is the empire era.

But then the character is gonna be more connected to the prequels because thats his backstory and he is the main character so if you continue his story you can't really ignore or act like that stuff didn't happen or effect him.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and jaqen like this.
  14. Organafan

Organafan Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2017
    I would especially like to see the conflict with Owen Lars, and maybe some kind of visit with Yoda. Surely they will fit in some kind of adventure that puts him right back at Tatooine. Officially, just going by "Revenge of the Sith," we don't know if he stayed on Tatooine after dropping Luke off with the Lars. He might have left before returning.

oncafar likes this.
  15. Baron_Papanerd

Baron_Papanerd Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Not only do I think we will see a krayt dragon in the Kenobi movie; but I am also betting that Obi-Wan fights and kills the very same krayt dragon, whose bones we see in ANH. :cool:

Valairy Scot and jaqen like this.
  16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

I can't imagine why the budget would be to that point where they would need to save money

Jcuk likes this.
  17. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    To be honest they've made a huge amount of money from TFA and R1 thus far. Reusing the OT Stormtrooper outfits made for R1 in the Han Solo film wasn't, I'm guessing, the reason the Empire makes an appearance in the film. To save money on props

jaqen likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Uh, because they are a corporation, and that's what corporations do. Welcome to capitalism.
    I think you guys are missing the point. They're not making movies just to reuse props, but they will reuse things in any movie they can, because it saves a lot of money.

19. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    I can't really see Yoda featuring tbh. Liam Neeson lending his voice to play Qui-Gonn in maybe a couple meditation scenes, definitely. Who knows, maybe the film will have a spaghetti western type vibe? With Obi playing the 'man with no name' type.

20. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    This is my favorite theory, for obvious reasons.

MrDarth0, Vib3s and Gigoran Monk like this.
  21. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Pro Scoundrel is right. Even films with extraordinarily big budgets cut corners, when possible. Reusing props/sets, when possible and appropriate, can save on money, and it absolutely happens.

I mean Lucas was far from poor, and he made it a point to talk about how the PT were made for a lot less than they could've been.

22. light_sabe_r

light_sabe_r Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    I am DOWN for this. Bring it!

This movies needs:
    Ewan McGregor
    Obi-wan bar hopping and getting his reputation for being a crazy old wizard - limbs must be lost.
    Obi-Wan looking over the homestead with twin suns
    Sand People
    Strong Women!!! But NOT Beru. She can be in the movie but not be the strong woman
    Storm troopers
    Mind tricks
    Luke being driving motivation
    Jabba the Hutt - this is Tatooine right?
    A Lawrence of Arabia nod - I don't care what but something that acknowledges Alec!

Casting I will go nuts over:
    Keira Knightly as Sabe - what work would she be in now Padme is dead? Long shot
    Temura Morrison as ANY clone survivor but especially Cody - possible as he's now on Disney's books (Moana)
    Frank Oz as Yoda

23. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Oh I can see the benefit of reusing old alien props to perhaps help create a crowd scene in a new film. That makes sense

Avnar likes this.
  24. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I wonder like the 2 Anthologies before it, if this film will avoid a lightsaber duel.

They could bring in an Inquisitor or Obiwan encounters a order 66 survivor who became a dark jedi.

However while Old Ben should be forced to draw his saber to protect some innocents, I think they should avoid him getting in an actual duel with another force user. You could of course have him fight a man who isn't force sensitive but wields a stolen saber.

Their are still ways to see sabers clash without old Obiwan doing it.

We could finally see a jedi training duel in film if a young Obiwan is shown. Their is also the route of Obiwan still being haunted by what happened to Anakin. That could lead to a vision/hallucination/dream of him dueling his former apprentice briefly.

Even if its brief, I also want to see some of General Kenobi (with some clone armor) in a flashback with clone troopers. With OT stormtroopers getting a modern take in Rouge One, clone troopers deserve some up to date spot light.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  25. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder if there is any way to get Vader and Obi Wan in the film together without ruining continuity...? [face_dunno]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.