main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters ♡ The OTP & Pairing Thread ♡ | Challenge #33 is up: How They Met! (1/28, p. 90, #2231)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Captain Rakkaus, Oct 5, 2015.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Some British? singer? who looks a lot like Rupert Grint (Ron Weasley), who gets confused with him all the time. Anyway, Ed has cameo roles in everything. Most recently a Lannister soldier in GoT.

2. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    ^ You mean Rupert Grint, right?

DARTH_MU likes this.
  3. FireKeeper

FireKeeper Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 23, 2017
    Not really replying to any discussions, just would like to ask a question concerning shipping. I've been trying to write some interactions between 2 of my OCs, and I've been worried that some people might find shipping subtext in them( in fact, one person to whom I have described my plans already did). I don't want any romance between the two, because one of them is centuries, if not millenia old( he is physically 40-something though due to spending these centuries in stasis, but that doesn't change the fact), he also seems to be too traumatized to be romanced to me, and that's why I want to de-shippify their interactions. That's why I wlam wondering, what sort of moments do you consider shippy/ UST-filled? So I know what to avoid.

4. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I'm actually experiencing the opposite problem with Ben Skywalker and Tahiri Veila 'ship. Because of TOS, they cannot be a couple :(

But to answer your question.

Friends since child hood and does everything together. Respect each other. Bonus for saving each other's lives.

Close, claustrophobic quarters and sudden thoughts.

thoughts of he's so handsome. She's so beautiful all of a sudden, comes out of nowhere.

Kiss kiss kiss and more kiss between charactes.

Tip: Make one character look so ugly no sane person would stay sane looking at that person. And then when you decides to ship him or her with a character, the pay off would be better, me thinks.

5. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Hmmm... Maybe it's not so problematic for me after all, because out of the aforementioned, I only have them respect each other after her not trusting him for some time, as well as saving each other's lives. Still, here are the moments that worry me:

A mental comment she makes that few people have ever both intrigued and alarmed her at the same time as him.

Her mistrusting him at first( and staying close to him to watch him closely because of said mistrust), but finding that they're quite alike later, and warming up to him.

Him managing to save her from death by healing up her wound and bringing her to the medbay just in time, and forming a temporary mind link with her as a result( which is supposed to serve a non-romantic purpose to the plot, but I've seen some people finding mind links romantic).

Said mind link leads to her understanding him even more, feeling sorry he never got a chance to live a normal life. Shortly after that, she says she trusts him( I might scrap it though, depending on whether I will include him doing certain actions or not).

Also, trying to talk to him about what the old Jedi Order was like in his time.

Just how shippy are these?

And while both of them are not the ugliest people alive out there, they aren't hotties either( at least in my head). Also, he has some nasty scars on his face and looks very weary at the time she describes him. Are these enough? I generally use scars to de-prettify my OCs, therefore de-Sueifying them( because too much hotness leads to Sueness).

I wouldn't want to make any of them fugly though, because I am afraid too much fugly can either lead the readers to not take the character seriousky, or be more horrified by them than anything.

6. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    yeah the mindbond thing is a bit much. I mean, it is your story, and I'm only a potential reader, so here's my opinion.

The twin bond of Jacen and Jaina is the reason I hate Jaina so much. Woooooo twin bonds that let her survive anything and uses Jacen's powers.

And them Lovebond in Harry/Hermione or Harry/Ginny Harry Potter fanfics. Yeppers he merely touch her hand. Sparks fly! Instant bond lovers!4Eva! Just no. Instant turn off and stop reading.

Spending time and talking ... Even if some find it shippy, I see no problem.
    Mind link thing, I commented above, I don't like them, but hey, maybe some people (majority:?) love them, and that's why people on fanfic net always write t hem? *shrugs*
    save her from certain death... no problem.
    Ask him about old jedi order... Is he a private person? Or would he love to explain things?

I guess my advice is to not focus on shipping and you are fine. Your story have a plot other than I want these two together and nothing else matters, and you'll be fine. It's only when a story is written only for 'shipping purposes, then you got a problem.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Speaking as one who adores! simply adores! mind-links [face_laugh] ;) they do say "ship" to me if the parties involved are a couple to me. I.E. Luke and Leia were able to communicate at Bespin but that wasn't romantic to me because the H/L thing was happening. [face_love] And Padawans and Masters have mental communications and Palps did with Mara -- so it's not an automatic thing. So to deromanticize the entire thing, you could include thoughts/dialogue that clearly set out that the feelings between the characters are platonic, admiration, burgeoning trust, respect. @};-

divapilot, DARTH_MU and Nehru_Amidala like this.
  8. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    In my humble opinion the best relationships in fiction are based on platonic love first. If the characters don't have platonic love first, their relationships just don't feel fee justified to me. It's built on lust!

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Sorry I'm no help - I find that characters will love whom they love (Especially OC's) and tend to rebel HORRIBLY if I try to pull a ex deus machina on them and say NO!!:cool:

10. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Well, I wrote the mind link thing so that she could find out some more info she needs to piece things together by viewing some of his memories, not to create some sort of drama between them. And like I said, it is only temporary, and breaks as soon as she regains consciousness. No powers, protection and other stuff. Just info and all.

Also, I don't like the love at first sight trope myself. It can be written well if done right, but I think it's too overused right now. So, no love at first sight( if there is to be any romance at all, because I prefer gen to het/slash/femslash/whatever other shippy fics) in my fanfics XD

As for privacy, it depends on what one asks him. He doesn't mind talking about his time and things in it in general, and is even willing to share knowledge lost to time. But there are some things in his backstory he would rather not talk about.

As for focus, shipping never was the focus. The reason I came back to writing was because the OT trio deserved better, and that is one of the reasons these 2 OCs came to be.

11. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    One of my OCs used to get thoughts and emotions as a by-product of siphoning off lifeforce.

Once I took him to roleplay, where he was not free to do such to fatal levels, and there were survivors, he would have a future mental bond with his victim as well.

12. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    *sorry for double post, just noticed there were new messages, and I am not sure if people are notified of being quoted in edited posts*
    I am all for logical conclusions of things myself, but thing is, there are other reasons for me to be against this ship, or any hints on this ship at all...

For the people who remember my loud ranting about this OC I have being too much like a Legends character, I came up with a crazier idea that I may or may not implement depending on how trollish I feel and how much EU nostalgia is in me. The idea is not deny this OC being like the Legends character, but rather play up the mystery by dropping a few hints that this OC COULD be this AU's version of the character after all, and then leave ambiguous for the readers to be annoyed, guess and theorise.

I have mixed feelings about such stunt right now( the SWTOR guildies I told about it liked it though), and like I said, whether I decide to go for it or not will largely depend on how I will feel at the moment. But should I decide to drop the hints, they will make the ship between these two characters a big no-no. First, because of the things the EU-canonical version of that character did in a certain MMO. Second, because the aforementioned character had a love interest in the EU that by this time should have been dead for millenia. Third, the very idea of this character getting another LI is more insane than the entire plot of Shadow of Revan( SWTOR expansion, in case someone doesn't know).

EDIT: Geez. I didn't expect this post to take so long.

13. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Heh.

My opinion on this (AU version of an established character shows up) in your fanfic under a different name, etc, is that unless the partners are blood relatives, it shouldn't be a problem. In fact, theorizing/guessing is fun!
    Anyway, as an example, in my fanfic Syned, a canon compliant short story, I wrote in first person the character who is Rey's mother. In the fic whenever someone says her name I use <REDACTED>. She pilots a Z-95 like Mara. She wears goggles like Dr. Aphra. And she's not a Jedi. (Mara and Aphra compliant). Or she could be whoever Disney end up using as Rey's mother.

So, go ahead and drop hints and use an AU version of a legend character to your heart's content.

14. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    I guess I'll say the EU character's name so that everyone gets the whole reason why I am against this ship so much. I mean, if I decide to throw in hints, this character may or may not be the AU version of Revan! Avakened almost 4k years after being caught by the Emperor! Fighting what may or may not be the new incarnation of the Emperor!

Wouldn't a Revan/ OC ship be beyond weird? Well, that's why I dry dock( or what is the term for being against the ship) it, and no way I am letting it sail, or any hints to even slip!

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Hey, as long as your OC (Nyros, right?) is Bastila Shan reincarnated, I have no problems. :p

kidding.

It's completely okay. It's all good. High time someone wrote a Revan fic again.

16. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    I... I don't know what argumentation to use against that.

Also, I don't think reincarnation works like that in SW, plus Nyros doesn't look like Bastila at all XD

And even if I approved of this ship and let everything I considered shippy to stay, I don't think it would lead to the ship itself happening on-page, for the reason that Nyros cares too much about the galaxy and the OT trio+Rey to take care of( also, I wanted her to have one-sided feelings for Luke at one point, but scrapped it because after the carbonite nap she took for 20 years, that would make for an icky 14 year age gap, plus I didn't want her angsting about it all the time) to ever think about that.

17. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Why is Revan/OC weird though? Also, wouldn't it depend what gender the writer has Revan as?

Ewok Poet likes this.
  18. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    ...the chronological age gap? He, like, slept through millenia?
    As for gender, this OC was male before I got the idea to imply that he might be Revan, I guess I'll roll with it( unlike many people, I don't care about the whole gender debate, it's what they did to him in SWTOR that I'm salty about).

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    What are your thoughts on this:
    If, say, someone like Abeloth (who is gazillion years old), takes over a 30 years old female avatar, and falls in love with a 28 year old male?
    On the one hand, the physical age cap is only 2, but on the other hand the soul age gap is gazillion minus 28. Yet they are both consenting adults?

20. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    ...I guess I've run out of arguments. I'll think about all of this tomorrow.

21. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I think if said millennia or however old character tells the OC that they are that old and the OC is okay with that, I see no reason why that would be an issue for a story.

22. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    FireKeeper - it's only a double post if you put up two in succession. I had gotten a little post in between yours, so it doesn't count as a double.

23. Captain Rakkaus

Captain Rakkaus Jedi Master star 2

Oct 4, 2015
    Discussion #10

Discuss advantages/disadvantages/challenges/etc. of writing EC/EC vs. EC/OC vs. OC/OC pairings. Which do people find easiest/hardest? Which of those types have you tried writing, which have you not?

This topic was kindly provided by Findswoman. :)

Findswoman likes this.
  24. FireKeeper

Jun 23, 2017
    Not much of a romance writer, and mostly indifferent to ships, so I myself don't see much difference. I used to write EC/EC when I was a teenager, but it was horrible. I think there will be EC/EC on the background, as well as maybe EC/OC, if I decide to make Luke's wife a OC( I am not sure if I am going to give Luke a wife at all though, since that fragment is problematic). I do find OC/ OC slightly harder though, because you have to give both characters enough development and not let the romance sidetrack the character development, making the other a satellite love interest. In general though, I try to avoid romance when writing in 1st person POV( which is my preferred writing style). While I've seen romance movies and crushed on fictional characters, I've never been in love in real life. In 3rd person, youcan get away with it because the narrator isn't the character, but in 1st you have to describe the exact sensations, which I don't know. I avoid writing sex for the same reason.

25. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_dancing] I have written EC romances. My SW OTPs are Luke/Mara and Han/Leia. :D They are easy to write because their personalities and back-stories are set, but they can be filled in and AU-ed with altered details. :cool: I do absolutely, unabashedly love reading EC/OC romances. [face_dancing] [face_dancing] ^:)^ The authors who have introduced me to these pairings have been exemplary at crafting original characters who fit in the galaxy far away. :D @};- They are not perfect but you are drawn to them and become invested in them and best of all, you can see how the established character could fall heart over heels for them. :)