main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CJ25 Star Wars Celebration (social thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Disciple-of-Tython, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If you queue in December, you're a chump. I'm already out here with a tent and a generator.

2. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    Didn't you hear? They had to change the venue, so you are at the wrong place.

ChrisLyne likes this.
  3. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Speaking of changing venue, I know we're pretty much all assuming Anaheim at this point but when are we expecting confirmation? May 4th next year?

dante144 likes this.
  4. star_wars_is_good

star_wars_is_good Force Ghost star 5

Jun 14, 2002
    Pretty good bet since that's when they announced the last one. It wouldn't shock me if they wait a little bit longer to make sure construction on the new park is on schedule.

5. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I'm really hopeful they can pull that off. I know they're probably a little more cautious after Rivers of Light but hopefully that was just an exception. One thing I do know, if they have special ticketed events for Star Wars Land over Celebration weekend (presumably before an official opening the following week) those tickets sell out nearly as fast as the VIP badges!

6. Microrob

Microrob Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2017
    A little off the subject by still celebration related.

I'm trying to track down a few celebration badges to complete my sets any help would be greatly appreciated. Will buy or I have C5 & C7 Jedi Knight badges London Jedi Master to Trade.

Email Me at rjamantea@cox.net Thanks Rob

Need
    C5
    Kids
    Jedi Master

C6
    Jedi Master

7. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Well the change of director and delayed release date certainly killed this idea [face_laugh]

Assuming Celebration will be in April I guess this means we'll see the first teaser at Celebration again. The delay sucks but having watched the TFA and TLJ panels on the live stream it'll be great to be there in person for IX :D

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  8. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    Whoa, cox.net?? This guy 's livin in the past, amiright?

9. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Just a quick question for anyone who did Orlando this year. Can anyone recommend a good value hotel that's in walking distance (say 15-20mins?) of the convention centre?

I've been doing plenty of planning based around Anaheim but none for Orlando. I know the consensus is Anaheim's the most likely but I figured I may as well plan and budget for both possibilities! Thanks!

Edit - best rate I've found is the Days Inn, has anyone stayed there? Would you recommend it? Thanks!

10. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    I stayed at the Rosen Inn, which is north of the Convention Center, but from looking at the map is about the same distance to it as the Days Inn. I managed to reserve it early on through the OnPeak website provided by ReedPop that gave deals specifically for Celebration. All in all I thought it was a great place to stay. Cost me $99 a night for a two bed room, which I think is a tremendous rate for a hotel of that quality on a high volume weekend like that and that is so close by. So that's some where I would recommend staying if you are going with someone.

And it never took me more than 5 minutes to walk to the Convention Center. Which to me I think is the most important aspect to consider. You really don't want to be more than a few blocks away. Don't get fooled into thinking you can get a hotel that looks close by on the map but in reality is a good 20 minute walk each way. And I don't mean that in any lazy kind of way. It's just that there's so much going on at Celebration that you want to be able to go back and forth quickly when you need to. Like when you buy stuff and want to go drop it off, or lets say you get an important autograph or artwork that you don't want to carry around all day, or perhaps just even at the end of a day when you're totally wiped out and just want to get back to your hotel real quick. So it's worth it to spend more money in order to be a 5 minute walk away versus a 20 minute walk away. It just makes things a whole lot easier. I think the time it proved most worthwhile for me was on Day 1, after I had spent all night in the overnight line to watch the 40th Anniversary panel and then spending all day at Celebration, by about 5pm the overnight line started forming for the next day's TLJ panel, which I wanted to be in as well. So at that time I was able to leave the Convention Center, get back to my hotel quickly, shower up, repack whatever I needed for the following day, and then get back to the Convention Center and get in line, all within like 30 minutes. And fortunately I made it in time, because I think as it turned out if you lined up later than 7 you didn't get into the live panel. And they were super strict about it this time and counted each person when they finally entered the queuing area. I sort of had an idea that was going to happen and kept tabs on when people started lining up knowing I would probably have to do so as well. But it was great not having to stress about it and to still be able to enjoy my full day at Celebration and then also when the time came be able to leave and come back right away. Versus having to leave much earlier and miss a good chunk of the afternoon at Celebration just so I can make the overnight line on time.

And also I truly feel that being so close helps out a lot with that feeling of just being totally immersed in the experience the whole time you're there. I know at Anaheim I stayed in some dingy room in the smoking allowed section on the top floor of an Extended Stay that was a few blocks from the convention center. It was a last minute find and the closest room I could get. And I'm glad I took that one instead of one that would have been nicer but much further away and would not have allowed me to have the experience that I had. So that's another thing to consider, if you must, I'd go with cheap crappy hotel that's close by over something nicer but is further away.

So yea, little digression there. But all in all it's really tomato tomahto in terms of where you stay. There really isn't a particularly bad place to stay nowadays. Like I said, distance should probably be the main priority to consider. And don't be fooled by Google Maps that might make it seem really close by but it really isn't.

11. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely try the OnPeak/convention rate hotels when they come up. I'm really over planning it (this would be my first US Celebration) but right now my plan is pick a hotel that's good value & location in both Anaheim & Orlando, make some provisional bookings (with no cancellation fees) when rooms become available in April (hopefully get in before the Star Wars price hike), then cancel what I don't need when dates & venue are confirmed. At least that way I'll have a good value room secured and I can try for a nicer/even closer hotel when the convention rates become available. I know it's a bit excessive but my budget is going to be tight so I want to make sure I secure a good value room.

I'll keep that in mind about Google Maps. I'll check the walking distance for the hotels to the centre.

One last question about the TLJ queue if you don't mind - in London if we'd wanted it would have been possible for my wife and I to line up and then take turns to quickly nip back to the hotel for a shower, from what you're saying about it being stricter it sounds like that wouldn't have been possible in Orlando this year. Is that the case?

12. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I agree with MotivateR5D4. Within walking distance is absolutely the way to stay.

I have been to Celebration 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and Europe 2 and 3 and for the last 3 Celebrations I have stayed within walking distance and there is absolutely no beating that.
    Whether you will pony up and pay for a higher level hotel or go for a lower rate hotel is up to personal preference, but absolutely stay within walking distance.

There is also things happening in the evening in close proximity to the convention center - panels, movie screenings, partys, and also for these it is nice to be able to get back to the hotel quickly with whatever you used during the day, maybe have a quick shower and get back to more fun quickly.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  13. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    The rules were set up so that technically you could do that, get a place in line, and then leave and come back before a certain time. However, I know on the first night, the line was taking so long just to get in to the queue hall that if you were already in and then left you likely wouldn't have been able to get back in in time. And there was no way to like get a wristband or anything to indicate you were already in so that you can bypass the line when trying to come back. I remember talking to a number of people who had plans to do that, get a place in line and then run and grab their overnight gear and shower, who then decided it wasn't worth the risk, even while still being muggy and dirty from the day's events, they just decided to tough it out for the night, and then right after the panel they'd go and clean themselves up.

The second night, from what I can recall, was better handled by the organizers and made so that you can leave and come back once you had your place in the queue. I do remember going to the outer area and then being able to come back in to the hall area with ease. They were much stricter in terms of their counts and determining how many exactly will be let in to the live panel. And I think they also made it much more clear to people who arrived late that they wouldn't be getting in to the live panel, which resulted in a lot of people leaving. Versus on the previous night, nobody knew where it was capped and everyone was hopeful that they'd get in, so everybody stayed and made the place super congested.

All in all, these things can be real fluid sometimes. And you never truly know what is going to happen until you are there experiencing it happen. I imagine the organizers have a similar mentality as well, regardless of what rules or guidelines they've put in place. In my opinion, I would make your plans so that you have everything done that you need to get done before getting in line in the first place. I would not make a plan based on being able to leave once you have already queued up.

That said, I think issues like this would only come up in Orlando. Keep in mind Anaheim has a 7,000 person capacity arena. And my bet would be that if it is in Anaheim then people will have a much easier time securing their place in the overnight queue and then being able to leave and come back. But again, I would not recommend depending on that to make your plans.

14. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Thanks both. We were walking distance for London last year and definitely agree it's the only way to stay!

Yeah, that was kinda the impression I was getting based on everything I read about the queues on that first day. Glad to hear it was more organised on the second night.

I think that's the best way to approach it, plan for the "worst case" (not being able to leave the line) and just go with the flow.

Fair enough. I think the higher capacity will definitely take some of the urgency out of getting in line. Next Celebration has the potential to be massive with the first teaser for IX, panel & likely 1st episode of season 2 of whatever the next animated series is (assuming we get a new series for the 2018/2019 season), live action series (probably 1st trailer or maybe even first episode depending on when the series launches), more details on Rian Johnson's new trilogy & more than likely the next Star Wars Story as well! So that extra capacity and the potential opening of Galaxy's Edge at the same time makes Anaheim the obvious choice.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  15. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    2019 is going to be a huge year for Star Wars. It's going to be a great time to be a fan!

ChrisLyne likes this.
  16. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Watching the new episode of the Star Wars Show and live action Battlefront (aka Star Wars paintballing) needs to be a thing at Celebration!!

MotivateR5D4 likes this.
  17. Ben Barber

Ben Barber Jedi Youngling

Nov 20, 2017
    Aren't they going to open a Star Wars Land in Orlando? I'm hoping its in Orlando! It's much cheaper than Anaheim!

18. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    It's supposed to open in both Orlando and Anaheim in 2019.

19. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    Current plans are for it to open in Anaheim first then Orlando later in year. So if they want to tie Celebration to Galaxy's Edge then the likelihood is that it will be in Anaheim.

That said, I don't think they will tie it in. If the timing works out then it's an added bonus but the big thing at Celebration 2019 will be the Episode IX teaser. I think Disney knows from past experience with Rivers of Light and World of Avatar that setting a firm date for such a big project, especially so far in advance, just isn't something they can guarantee. I can see them maybe holding the opening for a couple of weeks to tie in if it's ready before Celebration. If it's ready then they will definitely do a ticketed event like Last Ride to Endor and Galactic Nights, but they're not going to set Celebration's date based on Galaxy's Edge. All that said, if they want the possibility of doing it then they'll go with Anaheim because that's due to open first.

Ahaheim is also more likely since the rumour back in 2015 was that they were alternating US Celebrations between Anaheim and Orlando, but then it was also rumoured that they were alternating the US Celebrations with Europe/rest of world celebrations and the since there's no Celebration next year then there's also a slim chance 2019 could be outside the US. I doubt it but it's a possibility.

Personally I'd like Orlando as it's much cheaper for me (flights from the UK and hotel costs) BUT part of me wants it to be in Anaheim as it would give me the chance to check out Disneyland which I've always wanted to do but never done because it's so much cheaper to go to Disney World.

20. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    I have never gone. Can anyone give me a good overview of what it’s like besides booths, panels, and cosplay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. MotivateR5D4

Apr 20, 2015
    There's lines. Like, 17 hour type lines. It's a lot of fun, in addition to what you listed.

All I can say is...don't be there if you don't want to be there.

22. ChrisLyne

Oct 29, 2002
    MotivateR5D4 is right - there's a lot of lines. But as a Star Wars fan its a lot of fun.

I'd recommend reading through some of the old threads here. The Good, Bad & Ugly threads for the last few Celebrations should give you a good idea of the highs and lows. I'd also check out YouTube, the live streams for Orlando are still up, they'll give you a good look at the show floor and some of the major panel content. Plus if you just search Star Wars Celebration you should find a lot of fan videos that will give you a more ground level perspective.

It's not for everyone, there are definitely lows as well as highs. Meeting the cast is an amazing experience but you'll pay massively for it and queue a LOT. Being in the room for the big reveals, with the energy and excitement of thousands of fans is like nothing else, but again you'll queue (probably over night) for it.

I'm not trying to put you off, just make sure you go in with eyes open and reasonable expectations. For me the highs well out weigh the lows and the over night queue for Rogue One was actually one of my favourite experiences of the weekend as I made new friends I'm still in contact with now (and hope to see again in 2019). The fans really make the event. Unlike most other conventions, everyone at Celebration is there for one thing - a love of Star Wars. It gives it a special feeling, family sounds cheesy but it's the most comfortable and at home I've ever felt at a convention. There's a sense of belonging that you don't get at other cons.

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If you've never been to a con before you might want to see if there are any near you - preferably smaller ones rather than something like New York or San Diego Comic Con. That would give you a flavor of the atmosphere.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If you are not down for waking up at 4:30 just to get into some of the main panels and for movie panels waiting a whole day then this is not for you. However if you can handle that. It will be one of the best experience you ever have.

25. nerfherder37

nerfherder37 Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2017
    Celebration 2019 will be held in Australia, at my place. Backyard BBQ, Bring ya own grog, food provided. If you need to crash, the back yards big enough so bring ya tents, however the spare bed is reserved for Daisy Ridley.

MotivateR5D4 likes this.