main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    A plotting/realism type question here. I want L/M and others to confront the issue of refugees on an allied world. My question is how could/would the Jedi settle the situation and who would be the likeliest villain versus most cooperative with humanitarian efforts? You see on the news how refugees are displaced and adrift in new places and how they are often not treated compassionately by those who should do so. :mad: [face_thinking]

2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha A few real-life examples from Greece:

Most cooperative/helpful: Young people, especially unemployed people and students. They're out there every single day and they'd move mountains for refugees if they had to. They collect food, clothes, blankets, baby items, they put calls online when they need specific things, they even stand guard at night. There are also "invisible helpers" – in the case of Greece that's first and foremost old grannies, you'd be astounded at how many biscuits/meals they can prepare in record time, and they have a pretty efficient network through word of mouth too. The coordination between these two groups can make for interesting results (I know an anarchist squat for refugees where the brains behind the whole project is one of the guys' very old, very conservative grandmother who never leaves her home :p )

Likeliest villain: Sadly, it's often local authorities who think that they're speaking on behalf of a silent majority who don't want refugees. They just throw a hydrospanner in the hyperdrive every chance they get, they try to prevent things from happening that would help refugees and they somehow imagine that, if they make the conditions for refugees dire enough in their area of jurisdiction, refugees will stop coming :rolleyes: Another interesting case are the people who benefit the most from the refugees' presence. On one Greek island the business owner who was most vocal against the refugee influx in 2015 owns the bakery just next to the harbour. The man makes a fortune every year from selling cheese and spinach pies to anyone who travels through that harbour, in the summer of 2015 he sold twice as many pies because he was selling to both tourists and refugees (I have very good reasons to believe that he sold the pies for double the normal price to refugees as well [face_sick] ) and yet he was on the front row of every Nazi demonstration shouting "refugees out".

mavjade , divapilot, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  3. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Sorry for the double post, but I have a question now.

I'm trying to make up some suitably mystical-sounding names for places/monuments and religious orders in ancient Jedha (ancient as, before the establishment of the Jedi Order).

Examples of places/monuments in canon: Dome of Deliverance, Tythoni Square, Path of Judgements, Holy Quarter
    Examples of Force-based religious orders in canon: Brotherhood of the Beatific Countenance, Clan of the Toribota, Central Isopter, Church of the Contained Crescent

Any suggestions?

4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    The cult of _______________

Shrine of _______________

The Most Sacred and Terrible Temple of __________________ (Terrible in the Sense of Ivan the Terrible -- Terror Inspiring, not oh that's bad terrible)

The place of Sacrifice to ____________________

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do you want suggestions you plan to use or just suggestions that will work as inspiration?

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Gamiel Both would work :) I'm really looking just for names that will trigger more ideas to "populate" my world-building a bit; I already have the essential locations/monuments and religious orders that I'll use for the plot.

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ok, for inspiration, may I suggest taking a look at those post in the Fanon thread:

#shameless_self_promotion, #not_just_self_promotion

Chyntuck likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would suggest:
    * that you don't go the Dawn of the Jedi rut and have the Force orders being nearly as powerful and knowledge as the Jedi.
    * that aware use of telekinesis is something that few can do.
    * most people can't just consciously use the Force (like we see the Jedi do) but have to chant and gesticulate; do katas to focus their inner Force; or similar, while they consciously use the Force or just before using it.
    *Some non-SW examples that I think could rather easily be translated to SW as relatively low level Force traditions: Crocodile Dundee from, well, Crocodile Dundee; the ninjas from the movie Ninja Assassin; the Kai-order from the Lone Wolf solo adventure books; the Hassansins, mostly their leader Zolm, from Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time; the Shadow from The Shadow;
    * this post form the World Building Bunny thread might be of interest http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...x-and-donation-thread.50044256/#post-54202777

Chyntuck and pronker like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    DARTH_MU Gamiel Thanks both for the ideas!

And Gamiel, re: your second post, we're thinking among the same lines here – I'm actually going so far in the past that the Jedi Order doesn't even exist yet and that Force-sensitives don't really know what they're doing. I'm preparing a fanon post as I build the fic outline, so you'll have a condensed version in the Fanon Thread if you don't want to read the gazillion chapters of the story (because as usual, the story is running away from me by now!)

Gamiel and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Chyntuck not sure if this is what you are looking for, but for inspirations you can try the SW Old Republic Encyclopedia. You dont even have to play SWTOR or anything, but it has some interesting locations and names that may stir up inspirations for historical things and a section for the Jedi Order that may or may not be of interest. By the way, that fic actually sounds pretty cool!

Chyntuck likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would like to ad that weather sense is probably something many traditions have since knowing the weather is something that is very important in all cultures no mather if you are a farmer, seaman, traveller, craftsman, scribe or other.

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    I want to note that we have hardly any weather in SW galaxy. Is it something just special about the GFFA. No rain, no snow. (Hoth is just cold, it's clear, wind perhaps, but certainly no blizzard). I know in RL everything depends on the weather, but in GFFA?

13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Didn't Hoth have a blizzard overnight, when Luke was trapped outside?

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    And the place Zeb came from has dust storms and Tatooine has sand storms. [face_thinking]

15. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Regarding Tatooine, perhaps in books? Novels or reference book?
    Yeah, you guys may be right regarding Hoth. Although still in books and reference?

16. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Coruscant has weather control satellites, and I am fairly sure that Rogue Squadron manipulated the weather control systems somewhere on the way to re-taking Imperial Centre, but I'm not sure if this was Coruscant itself, or one of the planets on the way.

Movie. The Phantom Menace. Little Anakin gets Qui Gon and the others off the street because of an impending sandstorm.

The Force Awakens: Rey's vision of the Knights of Ren, the night-time weather looked fairly inclement.

Empire Strikes Back: Rained on Dagobah.

17. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    On the topic of weather and SW, but does anyone actually take the time to expand on the ecosystems of planets in their stories? Because single biome planets are getting very tiring.

18. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    You got me.
    I was wrong.
    There is indeed weather in GFFA.

19. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    I'm trying to think, and all I can come up with is that there is a difference between a single biome planet, and assuming that because the place where the story is set is one weather or terrain, that other parts of the planet are too.

Maybe I'm a lazy writer, I cannot think of a scenario where I have paused my narrative to mention some bit of planet where my characters are not, right at that moment.

Although, Corellian Sand Panther.

I have always assumed that there is somewhere sandy on Corellia for this thing to reside and get its name; probably desert scale.

But all the Legends novels where we have made planetfall there, eg. Han and Leia going to ground with the NRI, or Ben Solo/Skywalker/delete as applicable, slotting a president in the head; no sand in sight.

Edit: Doesn't answer your question, but just remembered that I gave Starkiller Base seasons, in one of my TFA stories, so that the cadets were not doing Z6 baton training in snow and ice.

Also, while not clarified in my Luke and Mara on Ach-to piece, they were staying at the Kontiki on the mainland. Trust me, I'm not calling a hotel resort "Kontiki" unless it is a darn sight more tropical than that windy **** at the end of The Force Awakens!

pronker and gizkaspice like this.
  20. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Thanks! (both for the reference and the compliment) I never knew that there's a TOR Encyclopaedia! I had a look at the contents on the Wook and it's exactly what I'm looking for. Running off to Amazon now :)

It's Coruscant itself, the scene takes place in Wedge's Gamble.
    In my stories the characters usually don't move around enough on the same planet for them to see different climates/ecosystems, but I've done it the other way around, i.e. creating an explanation as to why a particular planet is single-biome. It doesn't always appear in the narrative though, except for one of the fics I'm posting right now where the explanation will appear in the story itself, not only in the background notes.

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Would force choking leave any forensic evidence?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What was Thrawn's title when he was exploring the UR?

23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Don't quote me on this, but I think that in the Ferus Olin novels there's something about clues that Padmé's trachea was crushed.

He's a senior captain in Choices of One (less than a year post-Yavin) if that helps. By the time of Command Decision (sometime before TESB) he's an admiral. He becomes a Grand Admiral not very long before Endor, but that Legends timeline is beyond confusing.

pronker, Gamiel and DARTH_MU like this.
  24. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Probably not outside of the skin.
    But when autopsy is performed, a crushed trachea would be found.
    Now, if you want to ask: Who did it? Then, you can't know. However, it can probably be ruled as homicide. They would know that it was a Force choke, but they would have no idea who did it.
    Oh yeah, it is Lord Vader because he was the only one there at the at the time. But the evidence is circumstantial and not beyond reasonable doubt. So you can't prove anything.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  25. Sith-I-5

Aug 14, 2002
    Like any fatal strangulation or choking, small bones in the throat would show damage, and from my police procedural-watching years, probably petechial (sp?) haemorraging (sp?) in eye-related blood vessels.

mavjade and Mistress_Renata like this.