main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think you are confusing SW for semi-hard SF

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Well we've never seen a human die of old age in Star Wars, to be fair.

3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Yoda could be an example of age extension technology.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Didn't Ackbar in legends? Honestly is there any in TCW or Rebels?

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ackbar is human? And he died of old age in the movies? :p

Ok, just to settle it now, he died of a disease on the eve of the final battle in the Unifying Force, and we could see him being taken care of in Destiny's Way by Winter.

Also, despite Palpatine's age and health, no one expected him to die anytime soon. Or Dooku.

It could even be why some planets value young people so much, like Naboo. Because the galaxy is full of old people.

TheRedBlade likes this.
  6. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    .....................well umm the thing about that is............smoke bomb

In my defense I was not paying attention, so yeah I have no defense. :oops:But yeah it seems humans in the GFFA only die when it's dramatic. I would imagine it's like Mutants in X-Men comics where we as time go on come up with the excuse of them living slightly longer than humans

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    We did see a human Witch of Dathomir die of old age in The Courtship of Princess Leia. Mother Rell. She was almost 400.

8. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't know actual figures but even here on Earth I'm sure there's a notable disparity between life expectancy in the first world and in little remote villages--or hell, even between the one percent and those below the poverty level. The GFFA is exactly the same.

Come to think of it, look at Cliegg Lars--he could live in Pittsburgh and have access to a pretty good prosthetic leg, but on Tatooine all he gets is a floating chair.

Iron_lord, Revanfan1 and Mia Mesharad like this.
  9. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Damn right he could!! :D............I am from Pittsburgh if that is not obvious

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    TLJ's plot twist is that Yoda was Darth Plagueis all along. "The brightest light casts the darkest shadow" and all that jazz because he's playing both sides.

11. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Didn't Cliegg choose the chair because he stubbornly didn't want to be "part-droid" or something? I think that was from the AOTC novelization.

Daneira likes this.
  12. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Which was not at all mentioned in the film itself however. So the reason remains hypothetical but the fact remains we know there are viable and usable prosthetic human limbs available in the GFFA (because Luke has one) but that for whatever reason Cliegg doesn't have one. Whether by choice or not is left unclear.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is possible that it is just that he has not have had the time to get one or the one he has ordered is under construction.

14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Or maybe...

his leg was dead, son...

... and he accepted it

15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    MercenaryAce, Ghost and CooperTFN like this.
  16. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I posted this on the Leia thread about why we should include gay characters in Star Wars. I feel it was worth a repost:

Why?

Sticking to Star Wars, it's mostly because "real life is diverse." It was a common joke that Lando was the only black man in the universe until Return of the Jedi and now there's Mace Windu, Finn, Panaka, Adi Gallia, Typho, and that guy piloting an A-Wing. A similar joke was made about the fact Leia, Mon Mothma, and Ion Cannon Girl were the only women in TOT. Star Wars was always meant to be a universe which incredibly diverse and full of unique as well as interesting things. Even though Alderaan's forces were lily-white and male, A New Hope created the sense of this when Luke enters the Mos Eisley Cantina.

There's a bar full of all manner of amazing things and you know what they all have in common? They're all Space Truckers. An infinite variety of diverse people who all have the same crappy job smuggling stuff to and from Jabba's desert world.

An equivalent scene in our world would be possible if you went to the Port of Los Angeles and a bar there with people from the Middle East, China, Africa, New Zealand, and plenty of other people. Which, in fact, you can do and I did a couple of times when I stayed in the city.

When I write my books, I've included plenty of gay characters. Not because it's an "agenda" but because why not? It makes them more detailed even if it's a random note. I've got a few 1 star ratings on Amazon because of it but also letters from people who feel like I included them in my world. Which is good.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  18. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    So, ah, I guess #SWisagirlthingtoo ?

19. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    It's a film made for twelve year olds...

20. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I was involved very briefly when they started planning that and suffice it to say I was very pleased with how it ended up playing out.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  23. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It's not the parsecs, it's the wear.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Mass Effect was exactly as bad as Star Wars.

Sure, we were TOLD that the lifespan had increased and that human beings remained (physically) in their twenties well into their forties (in much the same way that the old EU banged on about advanced human lifespans in SW), but where did we SEE this demonstrated outside of Kahlee Sanders in Karpyshyn's books?

Exactly nowhere.

Anderson? A dude in his forties who looks like a dude in his forties.

Hackett? A dude in his fifties who looks like a dude in his late sixties.

Shepard? A dude in his late twenties who looks like a forty-something supermodel. (When he's not a she, anyway)

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, this is something that really bothered me in Mass Effect and almost always sets me off. :p

25. unironically

unironically Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 14, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

no homo tho