main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep & Yoda tells Obi-Wan that Anakin has been consumed by "Darth Vader". Also in RotJ ghost Ben says that he hid the twins from Vader specifically. So if they stick to that, he could sense that Vader survived his injuries from the beginning.

AndyLGR likes this.
  2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yes. However I was referring to "classic" Vader. The one with the armor and the mask and the really cool cape, etc.

I always found how ROTS played that to be rather weird actually. Like they don't make it clear if Obi Wan and Yoda is aware of Anakin's survival, and if he is, then why he just left Anakin there instead of finishing him off, and so on.

I kind of feel like that's one area where the OT and PT don't line up 100%.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Really? He can destroy the best Jedi, but non-Jedi scrubs are going to doom him?

Close only counts with atomic bombs, in any case, you missed my point. I was not comparing who might win the rematch, I was saying that Obi-Wan was a bad hombre given there are only two bad guys in the galaxy that stand a reasonable chance of beating him; I was taliking about the idea of desert scrubs beating him. He is at least Vader's equal.

There are a lot of better places to start in my opinion; and there are endless possibilities. A story about snitches that he hunts down and beheads?

But OK, even if you like that idea, it was created by a fan and not LFL. The odds that they actually use that are quite small all things considered.

The novels makes those things pretty clear though.

Some argue that those novels are just EU, but I don't tend to think they changed those things. That was back when Lucas was still in tight control, and he gave permission for those books. I don't think anyone really knows though, in fandom I mean.

While they don't go into it as much in the movie as the book, they do go into their communication in the Netherworld with Qui-Gon, who likely saw all of what happened to Anakin.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Huh? It's as if you're only picturing one-on-one combat. Like Obi-Wan being too powerful in a Tekken style death match. What if he's up against dozens of heavily armed mercenaries? The Jedi were eliminated, not bcs they couldn't defeat one Clone/Stormtrooper. Bcs they had to face so many of them. Or what if the mercenary leader tells him there are 10 of his thugs right outside the Lars' homestead. They're going to kill everyone there if you don't surrender right now. How well did Obi-Wan deal with those hand-cuffs in AotC? There are probably another 50 scenarios where Obi-Wan can be outpointed.

5. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Truthfully I can see them showing Hayden as Anakin than Vader for flashbacks. Would make more sense seeing as Obi-Wan doesn't really see Vader all that much, and has more memories of Anakin.

6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    OK, but we've been over the clones bit. They defeated the Jedi because of the implants that allowed Palp to control them, and attack when the clones didn't know they would attack, so that the Jedi were surprised in a way they wouldn't otherwise. That was the product of a force user.

You could make up any scenario you want, but I don't think that would be the most compelling or would make the most sense. But of course, neither of us will be writing the story.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I know why they switched gears to Rebels, and I do love Rebels, but man... I wish we could have seen all that. TCW was really excellent, especially in the later seasons... putting aside the odd decision to ressurect Maul.

my kind of scum likes this.
  8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Yes, a large number of desert scrubs could beat Obi-Wan. He seems quite concerned about larger numbers of sandpeople showing up in ANH, for example.

This is a total non-issue. Obi-Wan between ROTS and ANH is absolutely the way to go.

9. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    No brainer especially given the obvious direction timeline wise of these new films

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  10. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Which young British brunette actress do you want to see as the lead female?

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Alicia Vikander (although technically she's Swedish). ;)

But truth be told I hope that they don't go that route again.

I'd like the see them get someone like Naomie Harris or Gugu Mbatha-raw actually.

12. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I think this is still kind of ignoring the purpose of a story like this. Obviously Obi-Wan survives whatever is thrown at him. Whether that's a powerful enemy or a hundred desert goons makes no difference. The threat to Obi-Wan in the end isn't going to be a physical one anyway, since we already know how it has to end. But that doesn't mean characters can't pose a threat to him. Obi-Wan can still overcome challenges and change and grow as a character even if we know he's going to survive a final conflict. He can be tested in more ways than just "can he defeat this other character in combat?"

13. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Everyone knows that, with very rare exceptions, most heroes in CBM's are going to survive (especially since they announce sequels so far in advance these days). But many people still enjoy them because the story is still fun or interesting or both.

No reason why this cannot be the same. If it's done well, then I doubt that many in the GA will go "well it's not as fun because I know already that Obi Wan will survive).

DaddlerTheDalek and -Phoenix- like this.
  14. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Agreed. I mean Obi-Wan isn't Superman. There are certainly lots of characters that pose a serious mortal threat to him. But his purpose is to watch over Luke, and if something happened to threaten THAT, it could pose a more interesting dilemma. Plus, since he's in hiding, it stands to reason that he would want to conceal the fact he's a Jedi, meaning a large part of his toolbox is restricted. How much more dangerous does the average joe get when you can't pull out your lightsaber to defend yourself?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  15. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Didn't Hondo manage to capture him, Anakin, and Count Dooku in TCW series? Just by being a sneaky, conniving, opportunistic outlaw. And Cade Bane was able to give him a pretty decent fight with all of his weapons, tech, experience, and just plain fighting dirty.

He's a Jedi, not a god.

DaddlerTheDalek and Vasco_Rojo like this.
  16. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    When Iron Man flew the nuclear missile into the wormhole in The Avengers, everyone in my entire theater held their breath... and we all knew Iron Man 3 was coming out pretty much a year to the day. The "prequels suck because you already know they're going to live!" argument is so freaking stupid and reductive. It boils down the quality of a story down to the element of surprise, which would make everything worth watching/reading exactly once.

17. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    Yep. He is not Luke or yoda level either . Those sandpeople don't have blasters but rifles. Not as easy to block with a saber especially flanked from several sides

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    She's not just technically Swedish. She's Swedish in all possible respects. :)

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Fair enough. ;)

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

This right here. He would not legitimately know anything about what kind of pilots they could find there, unless he himself sought one out at one point. And why ever would he have needed a space pilot I wonder???????

21. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

This. It's been proven, several times over on and offscreen that numbers and environment/surroundings does matter, regardless of the strength of the individual. The "standoff" between Qui-Gon/Kenobi and the battle droids, causing them to run, Anakin against the armed Geonosians/Jango in the droid factory in AOTC, all of order 66, Anakin's failure against Obi-Wan on Mustafar, Yoda in the senatorial rotunda against Sidious (with troopers closeby)...

Darth Downunder likes this.
  22. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Sarah Jessica Parker (going a bit blonder) could make a good Satine Kryze.
    (Still caught in the imagination of a pre-prequel-era-standalone-Obi-Wan-Kenobi-movie - Am I the only one?)

23. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Emma Watson ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

24. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Sa(Rah Jessica Parker)tine goes shopping together with Padmé, Ryo Chuchi and Bo Katan. After shopping the four ladies have lunch in a restaurant. Satine is nagging that Mr. Big alias Evan McGregor is keeping her hanging on always, while Padmé complains about Anakin's manic jealousy. Palpatine is also there, flirting with widowed Bo Katan, trying to get some information about her Duchess sister and her Jedi-crush, while Ryo Chuchi is trying on some more pair of sneakers in that It-style-shoe-store next corner. Suddenly Grievous barks in to abduct Palpatine. Now its time for the ladies to call Obi-Wan and Anakin for help.

25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    There is always a chance because their are many ways to do it both in reality and in visions or tests from the Force.

Because Jedi don't kill helpless opponents. Anakin did and Mace wanted to and look how well that ended up for them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.