main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V Episode VIII - THE LAST JEDI - Official Movie Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Karl0413, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I suppose it depends on whether Ben/Kylo's guilt for the death of his father (which clearly affects him) will play out throughout the film.

2. Cheeky Potato

Cheeky Potato Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 5, 2015
    Am I missing something in this quote? It seems like he's just saying Rey is good, Kylo is the bad guy. I wouldn't read too much into it.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I hope you're right. It just read to me like there was an intention to go more symbolic than that.

4. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Revanfan1, Ghost, La Calavera and 3 others like this.
  5. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Amazon has put out out images for TLJ toys for pre-order. This one in particular is interesting:

[​IMG]

Call that confirmation that Snoke is seven feet tall and has a black kyber ring. Also, that text says his flagship is a Mega Star Destroyer (Eclipse incoming). [face_whistling]

Also, I predict these will sell out [face_money_eyes] :

[​IMG]

6. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    More than anything that just reminds me of Quint's speech about lifeless black shark eyes from Jaws.

7. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    THAT FIRST ONE!

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The more porg merchandise I see, the more I'm onboard with Chewie eating 'em like popcorn. [face_devil]

BigAl6ft6, Ghost, Gamiel and 3 others like this.
  9. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Those black eyes are not of the Light Side.

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Behold, the billion-dollar porg!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
    At first I was "awww cute!" but now I'm "kill the seal-penguins!"

BigAl6ft6, LelalMekha and SWpants like this.
  12. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Between these and the turtle nuns, I'm starting to feel more sorry for Luke than I had when I thought we was completely alone on the island.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Pfft. I just want a cat-toy model on a string for my kitten to play with.

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    So there is a rumor going around that

The "evil" BB-type unit we've been seeing in the marketing is named "Victor Delta 1". Yes a droid named Victor.

I gotta admit that's the best rumor I heard all day. It also happens to be the first rumor I heard today, but I'm pretty sure nothing's gonna beat that.

15. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  16. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    As far as I'm aware, "Victor" was among the code names used for TLJ toys (I think there was a Delta, and so forth). People assumed Victor referred to Snoke, because there were titles like "Victor Guard" (which would have been the Praetorian) or somesuch. Victor Delta fits an evil character. BB-H8 has been referred to as BB-9E in the rumours I've seen.

EDIT: Looking into the Reddit post, and someone pointed out Victor = Villain, and Delta = Droid. Just a code name.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It was as if millions of Saxtonites suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Vthuil likes this.
  18. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Why are they trying to make us hate Luke Skywalker?

Uhh, they aren't and you write bad articles.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    l

Luke being a "sad sack" won't make me hate him. His being disillusioned with the manner of his own training won't make me hate him.

If he turns into "compassion is for those who deserve it" Luke, however...I will hate the writer who made him into that.

20. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015

Look how superior the First Order Military is to the Imperial Military. [face_devil]

King of Alsakan likes this.
  21. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003

Porg Military > All Militaries

BigAl6ft6, spicer and Darth_Duck like this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    That First Order walker just grates on me more and more every time I see it. I'm loving pretty much everything else about this movie's visual design - why did the artists' imaginations so badly fail in this case?

23. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Honestly, I can't think of any cases of the artists' imaginations particularly succeeding in the Disneyverse. Have there been any designs that were both original and interesting?

24. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I think some of the background aliens in Rogue One had interesting designs, to a much lesser extent in TFA. Really, the fact that I thought the Guava Death Soldiers had one of the most striking visual designs of the movie, and were originally intended to be Kylo Ren before being shunted to minor cannon fodder in favor of an explicit "as-close-to-Vader-as-possible" look, says everything that needs to be said about the Disney approach to the movies so far.

I do really love the Praetorian look too, so hopefully they have at least some screen time.

AusStig likes this.
  25. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I think Disney is doing their best to lean away from Legends material as much as they possibly can to give the distinctiveness of a different timeline.
    They may not be doing much of a good job but then again, how many times did Legends switch between new ship designs and just bringing back familiar ones:
    i.e. X-wing to E-wing to X-wing again, Y-wings to B-wings to K-wings to Y-wings/B-wings, Imperial-class SD > Republic-class SD > Nebula-class > Imperial-class.