main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

We meet again, at last! The circle is now complete, why I left you I was but the learner ...now I am the MASTER!

There is absolutely nothing to suggest Obi-Wan and Vader don't run into one and another between ROTS and ANH, lets be honest, it's actually far more believable than they managing to stay apart for 20years. Vader is Obi-Wan's nemesis, the dark mirrored version of himself so who better for Obi-Wan to face?

The only reason I could find is that the result is already known and the likely damage done, Obi-Wan physically drained and Vader needing more Bacta tank time, is also known.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Brunette English women...
    Bring Sabe, Padme's handmaiden into the story
    I think she survived the Prequels.

The Tomboy Beanpole Kiera Knightley would be a nice addition.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Despite Kenobi being my favorite Saga protagonist (Raddus exists outside of the Saga... and also outside of our shameful mortal concepts of rankings) I now desperately want to see him be "table top" attacked by a Jawa pushing him over the back of another Jawa behind him.

4. Death Wizard

Death Wizard Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    Maybe Ben spends his time communicating with sprints.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    An odd form of communication but I am open to it.

6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Or drinking spirits at the cantina. "This place can be a little rough".

7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Do they have wifi?

8. dogprivilege

dogprivilege Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015

I mean...I get what you're saying but I really don't think something like this is nearly enough of a compelling, canon reason they can't show that moment because it could be a potentially interesting, pertinent story beat. In ROTJ Obi Wan has known for years and years that Anakin is alive and is just summing things up (that happened 25 years ago) for Luke anyway, seems like a pretty reasonable explanation for why he would word it that way in that moment.

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Just depends on where you fall in terms of continuity. He says that was his reason for hiding Luke. On the other hand there are other cases of ignored continuity & it's not the end of the world. Think it'd be harder to ignore that Obi-Wan knows that Vader = Anakin, as he discovered with Yoda in RotS. If they do ignore this stuff, guess we'll just throw it into the Leia remembers Padme basket & move on.

AndyLGR likes this.
  10. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Maybe this film starts with a flashback to just prior to ROTS, a short action sequence with Obi-Wan and Anakin as best buds on a mission and we see a brief glimpse of that and Hayden back as Anakin.

Then Obi-wan hears Qui-Gon's voice and snaps out of that vision as he's trying to meditate, and we see that he's alone on the desert planet and older. . .

Later in the film they could flash back to Obi-Wan's arrival on Tatooine with Luke, and also give us a real scene with Qui-Gon's spirit speaking with Obi-Wan.

11. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    I think it's also important that not every single reference has to become something we see directly happen onscreen. The Anakin = Vader thing is a pretty direct connection for Obi-Wan to make, and trying to make it more than it is is kind of a waste of time. Do we also need a scene where Obi-Wan eavesdrops on a conversation between Vader and the Emperor where Palp says "Gee, I'm sure glad you don't have any kids, because they would be a threat to me."? Some things are just pretty easily inferred by the characters and audience.

Strongbow, Avnar and Darth Downunder like this.
  12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    This!

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    To visit Yoda on Dagobah for christmas! :yoda:

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    They can easily fit a confrontation in with Vader if they wanted to, as I don't think it would mess with the continuity of what went before. What will be interesting is at point of the timeline do they set this film. When the Empire is more established? Closer to the end of ROTS? Will it be related to Bail and the Rebellion (although maybe that would contradict Leias message in the original).

As much as I don't like the fact that they brought back Maul for the cartoons, (in my head canon hes dead), it really wouldn't surprise me if they somehow brought him back in the movies too.

15. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    No other ideas than some bland ANH-affine second flushes here? Another Obi-Wan vs. Vader? Big yawn!

It bugged me already that Maul became a mere shadow of his former self locked up at Tatooine. I hope Disney isn't going the same way with Obi-Wan here too.

BTW: How about Cameron Diaz as Siri Tachi?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Wait what? I need to be a chef to criticise a steak? I hope you don't try to insinuate that the opinion of so-called "non-creatives" is worth less. Because that would be rather needlessly insulting and arrogant.

@ Lee_

Actually they did give us a whole bunch of new characters and storylines in the movies (and in the EU as well). It just seems none of the characters made a big impression. I agree though that plowise the new movies are regurgitations of the OT. It's funny how every movie seems to be about transporting plans of a battlestation from A to B.

Lets hope there are no battlestations and no battlestation plans in the Obi-Wan movie.

I wonder what the goal of Obi will be in the movie. Simply defeating some adversaries isn't enough, it's gotta be about protecting something (and I'm not talking about Luke here because we know how that ends). Spitballing: some Jedi-kids threatened by the Empire. Maybe Obi gets injured which would explain why he is so frail in ANH.

ezekiel22x and Sudooku like this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    TFA wasn't about transporting plans to a battle station. It was more akin to RotJ. They'd already obtained some plans or schematics. Only R1 & ANH fit that description, & they're two parts of the same story about the same plans.

DaddlerTheDalek and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    TFA was about getting the plans of Starkiller Base to the Rebellion Resistance with a couple of detours, it's absolutely about that. Didn't even Rey tell Finn they had to get BB-8 to the resistance while they were in Maz' cantina?

The same story reheated in a microwave, yes.

I think that audiences respected what Disney did with TFA and Rogue, but that respect can be floundered if they continue to lean on the same crutches. They'll have to become more inventive because reheating the same stuff won't cut it forever.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Yep bcs he had the co-ordinates of the Last Jedi Temple & therefore Luke's whereabouts. Nothing to do with any battle station plans. A brief mention was made of some plans retrieved by scout ships of the Resistance. As I said, more like RotJ.

20. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Just a point, but Palps was NOT helpless, as his manipulation of Anakin proves. Palps was dangerous and Mace shoulda decapitated him.

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    [​IMG]

22. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The Obi-Wan movie everyone wanted gets announced, and the same goddamn reheated argument of "TFA is a rehash!" gets brought up for no reason.

DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    And here I was hoping to see Obi-Wan foil the Hutts' plan to build a Desert Star. :(

DaddlerTheDalek and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Huh? BB-8 didn't have the plans to the SKB, he had a map to Luke. TFA was absolutely not about getting the SKB plans from A to B. That's not a plot point at all. Only ANH, and the last third of Rogue One, is about battlestation plans.

Also, your adjective "reheated" shows a real disrespect for the creative process. It takes great talent and creativity to take a similar story and make it fresh and new. I believe TFA did that, with perhaps just one flaw in regards to the SKB. Rogue One certainly pulled that off with aplomb, not least as the first two acts of the film are not about acquiring battlestation plans, but rather, about connecting with an Imperial defector, finding out what kind of weapon the Empire is developing, and bringing an Imperial scientist to the Rebellion (and ideally, to the Senate). With the parallel plot being about a Resistance General seeking to kill that Imperial scientist. Only in the third act does it become about acquiring the plans, and only in the final minutes does it become about delivering those plans from A to B. So even Rogue One is a significantly different story than ANH. Saying it's merely ANH "reheated" completely ignores both major narrrative and character differences.

In other words, I think you're conflating your desire for completely different stories with a lack of creativity on LFL's part. I believe they've proven that they can spin gold out of cloth.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't know if I want it. Only if they come up with a good story.

Planet of the Apes: Survival was pretty good. Could they add some meaning to a modern SW-movie?

You're right that the plans were technically about Luke's whereabouts, but they also wanted to unlock what R2 had stored which were the technical readouts. After that finding Luke almost became some sort of B-plot because they first tried to blow up Starkiller (and rescue Rey).

I guess I got it all mixed up in my brain which is not a surprise because I haven't watched TFA in over a year and it's all so similar.

In any case the gist of it is that we've seen too many movies centred around some superweapon. A superweapon-free movie would be refreshing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.