main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Fleet Junkie Flagship- The technical discussions of the GFFA (Capital Ships thread Mk. II)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralWesJanson, Sep 12, 2005.

1. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Anyone see the window where Londo Mollari can watch from?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I quite like how the mark IV is an 8km specialty ship. Much like the Bellator, a variant of the Mandator, was a 7.2km specialty ship. The design branches after the mark II if you account for Legends and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm curious - given that they are autocannons that the ship has - does that mean they'll be firing kinetic energy projectiles (bullets, slugs, shells, or whatever) rather than oversized turbolaser bolts?

4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    You appear to have all those defense cannons on the upper hull of the ship...what about the bottom....anything to protect those city/ship killers on the bottom??

5. Geforce

Geforce Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2017
    those defense cannons looks really big for anti-fighter

6. Geforce

Geforce Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2017
    good question;)

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In TCW, the main battery on a Venator (the biggest dorsal turrets), appear to be at least partly for anti-fighter use, being regularly used against fighters. In Rebels, the main turrets on an ISD, are first seen fired, when they're firing at fighters.

It would appear that in the newcanon, defensive laser weapons are big.

Jedi Knight Fett and Snafu55 like this.
  8. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Yikes, the completely abnormal armaments continue in nu-canon. First we had the 3km ship with weaponry the amount of the Executor (still not fixed by the way as promised) and now we have weaponry fitting for a frigate on a ship that'd be considered a mini-SSD in size.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Presumably those point defence weapons are bigger and more powerful than an ISD's.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. Star_Desperado

Star_Desperado Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 5, 2017
    That's not necessarily ALL the weapons on it
    just the plot relevant ones ;^)

TheRedBlade and King of Alsakan like this.
  11. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Most of the ships tend to put the majority of the weapons on the upper hull in SW. While there are some mounts on the lower hull there tend to be not that many of them. I find it difficult to believe that a spacefaring culture that has existed for tens of thousands of years (by old EU standards) would not somehow recognize that space combat it 3 dimensional. The heavy weapons mounts like the SDs main turrets should have been more spread out. Same with the smaller mounts.

Snafu55 likes this.
  12. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    The Mandator IV is kinda like a monitor/gunboat, which I am totally digging. Probably placed in the center of a First Order Fleet, protected by Resurgent-class Star Destroyers.

I don't find the design to be particularly attractive (honestly, the FO doesn't have that good ole' Imperial design aesthetic), but it looks dangerous, which is the point.

I'm dying for them to release images of the Resistance's presumed capital ship, given the cool bridge we see in the trailer. I'm still betting on a cool new Mon Cala design.

--Adm. Nick

13. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Did you see the size of those cannons?

No question.

14. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably Sienar Systems Fanwank 3.0 Super-Splurgers?

15. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    There's room on a 7km platform for several big guns and more. Not so much room on a 3k platform though. I'm really not sure where Disney's going with this. Also an artillery/gun platform is more believable to be frigate sized. Those armaments seem frigate sized as well, but they made it gigantic.. to show off I guess. I mean, even the Empire had small support craft. They didn't make 10k meter ISDs and 5k meter Lancer Frigates.

16. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    DON'T JINX IT NICK WE NEED TO SEE THE STARHAWK

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Perhaps not unexpectedly, Fractalsponge and his fanclub (warning - language) utterly hate it:

http://fractalsponge.net/?p=2559

18. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Jeez, that was sure something.

19. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    Allow me to preface this post by saying I have nothing against Ansel Hsiao himself, I merely think he has no true talent for artistic design, but his effort is clearly A+.

However I am not surprised one bit that fans of his work are the exact same sort of contrarian bootlicks that would hate a decent design that exudes the same sort of visual cues while being overall more competent and synergistic in the sum of its design philosophies. It seems an awful lot like the kneejerk hate a lot of overly-emotional fans of the EU spew towards the new Disney content, where they complain about getting NEW content instead of getting the "right" content in the form of fan designs. Frankly I don't believe they will ever be pleased no matter what LSG does.

On that subject, seeing those Y-wings in action in the Battlefront 2 stream the other day made me confirm my preorder on Origin. That may be foolish of me given the recent track record of the battlefront franchise and the developer/publisher combo, but that just goes to show how true the old adage is that a fool and his money are soon parted. Call me a fool but that y-wing cockpit looks comfy as hell and worth 60 bucks.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. Havoc123

Jun 26, 2013
    Well, they're not wrong.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Me, I will wait with my judgement until I see it in action even if it looks a bit lackluster to me right now, but that might just be the colour, maybe it would look better with some highlights* in red, white or blue (or some other colour).

* or an all over paintjob

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the belly guns would look great on super-heavy tanks, and even on the top surface of a battleship - it's their being on the belly of a battleship that looks a little odd.

If they can be used against space targets, and fired from the "almost completely closed" position, it might look a bit better than open firing at the ground.

23. Star_Desperado

Mar 5, 2017
    I'm not inclined to give much credence to the opinions of the sort of folks who praise the Secutor and Bellator, let alone the Assertor (aka the SSD Freudian Nightmare); the Mandator IV isn't half as big an eyesore as those, and indeed, has a lot of things going for it. Though I wonder if Snoke's supposed "flying wing" ship will look similar to the wide-bodied Secutor.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  24. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Given that Rebels has shown large turbolasers to be pretty pathetic at orbital bombardment (no matter if books say otherwise), this would fit.

Of course, why they don't just use missiles and nukes, who knows. Those anti-fighter missiles in TFA could easily fit a thermonuclear warhead, for example, and bang for buck would be better than a large rail gun.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    MercenaryAce likes this.
  26. Fractalsponge

Fractalsponge Jedi Master

Jan 27, 2003
    Yep, I hate it. But not because it's different. Different is good. Venator different was good. Resurgent different was also pretty good, though they didn't make it as cool as an ISD. I hate it because it has no sense of scale from a distance, the way Executor, or even the Lucrehulk had. I also hate it because it's boring, being an extruded triangle with a box on top of it, and they really should've tried harder. Surface detail and complexity. But it's all just opinions.