main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I know what you mean. I've been spending a lot more time in the Anthology section lately!

2. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016

Id say the biggest risk would be setting it all on tatooin but not doing anything exciting with it.

I don't think Disney would make a Logan style movie thats mostly drama with barely any action or cool set pieces.

I could see a flashback or 2 but i think it will depend on the story as i don't see them just throwing back to a clone wars action piece just for the sake of it.

Right now i am thinking we could a qui gon flashback, maybe to him teaching a young kenobi and giving him advice that will play into the movie later on.

3. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    We've seen a lot of Tatooine over the years, but the desert landscape just happens to be a reeeeeally good mirror for a lot of themes in film. It's a place filled with danger, loneliness, illusion, etc. Kenobi's story (I think) is about sacrifice. He's willing to give up just about everything to keep Luke safe. Having him gallivanting about the galaxy on more adventures just so audiences can see new planets kind of rings a bit false to me. Daxon101 mentioned Logan, and while I don't think Disney would try to emulate that film for language and violence reasons, it does serve as a good example of the potential this film could have. If we want Star Wars to feel fresh, why not make it a bit slower, a bit more contemplative? There will still be action and excitement of course, but we also have the chance to dive a little bit deeper into a character's head.

4. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    The silence is killing me! Ewan, just post a super subtle hint on social media so we can breathe normally again.

Eagle 319 likes this.
  5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Amen. The desert is a filmmaking gem. I hope we keep visiting barren worlds.

Master_Lok and Avnar like this.
  6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Michael Fassbender please! [face_praying]

7. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Plus a great actor that can deliver on this type of performance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am fine with Tattooine as a locale (hoping for a spaghetti western style moment or five.) I think there's a lot Obi-Wan can do there as he bides his time to train Luke.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Such as kill a Krayt Dragon with a headlock and be the cause of the "No Droids Allowed" rule at the Mos Eisley Cantina.

DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Please, this is a SW movie first and foremost, a big blockbuster. You can be certain that the action sequences will outnumber the talking heads stuff. The chance of getting a truly introspective movie is zero.

Master Yoda may claim that being a Jedi isn't about adventure and thrills, but really that's all there is to being a Jedi in one of the movies. It's all just fluff that's being taken too seriously by fans.

There are other types of deserts. Ice-plains or worlds filled with ammonia seas. Maybe people require a breathing apparatus to walk there. Unfortunately SW seems to stick to environments with the same atmospheric pressure and N2/O2 atmospheres as our own world. A little more SF would be nice imo.

Imagine a world with rains of mercury and towering salt crystals? How cool would that be? Or an action scene in a high G or low G environment?

11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Been thinking the same things recently. Great ideas here. A little more SF indeed!

I had thought of a dangerous, garbage planet, kinda like in Labyrinth, but much worse and threatening. Spice mines in hell, as it were.

Love the idea of wicked, acidic rain, like on Venus. Might be sulfuric acid raining down.
    Also, planets with retrograde inversion, or whatever it's called, and rapid solar orbit, yet slow rotation, so that the day is longer than the year. Could be interesting...

Darth_Pevra and Darth Downunder like this.
  12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    That might work for the first act until the main story starts with Obi-Wan becoming involved in some galaxy spanning adventure.

Yes. That will be a thread in the story but this is a movie that will be made for 150 million plus and expected to pull in something like a billion dollars worldwide.

The kind of thing that is introspective would be a limited TV series where the action couldn't be done to that level.

13. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    What's the point of doing anthologies to "try new things," if you're not actually going to try new things?

14. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Right. LFL tried a new kind of storytelling with Rogue One, and I don't think they'll shy away from taking that even further with Kenobi.

15. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't think KK is taking the lesson of Rogue One that people think she is, or even that she says she is.

It's going to be a long time before we know the full extent of alterations and directorial control BTS of Rogue One, and it's going to be an even longer time before the drama of Han Solo's set comes out fully. That's two chaotic (spinoff) film sets back to back. Whatever the results are/will be, no sane producer would be happy with the precedent forming behind the scenes. And I think we're already seeing Kennedy retreat from a theoretical frontier for safer ground.

It's clear that Ron Howard and Stephen Daldry are a distinct departure from the kind of thinking that led to Rian Johnson and Lord and Miller signing on as directors. Kennedy and Lucasfilm have moved on from younger, less experienced directors with an edge to their films to older, experienced, award-winning or nominated directors who fit a more traditional, structured mold. Even aside from the shift in talent, the topics of these rumored spinoffs - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Boba Fett, Jabba - are firmly within established canon and likely won't focus on new characters who expand the GFFA universe as Kennedy once promised.

16. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I don't think Daldry fits this picture, however. He has no big films to his name, and is not necessarily traditional in his approach (Hours, for example). I think KK went with Howard as a reliable fixer for Han Solo, but that she's smart enough not to "overlearn" the lessons of RO and Solo by swinging all the way in the safe direction. IMO, Lucas asked her to take over LFL because she appreciates artistic vision and risk, and I think she's going to stay true to that. Yes, there will be some safe course corrections here and there. But I really don't think those will turn into the norm. And that's why I have a lot of faith in her leadership.

17. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    I think my point stands. Daldry is an older director who, like Howard, has been celebrated by Hollywood, having been nominated for best director more than once, though not within this decade. His more recent work reflects a style that probably wouldn't be described as experimental or unexpected, similar to Howard but unlike Lord and Miller or Johnson.

I think Lucas trusted Kennedy and so far that trust has been rewarded. But Lucas was a studio unto himself. Kennedy is the CEO of a company, one that reports to a parent company as well. Where Lucas could afford to lose a profit on something he believed in however misguided or brilliant it might have been, Kennedy cannot, should not and will not be so free with money that really belongs to shareholders. That's why you get things like the late addition of The Hallway Scene, directors like Trevorrow get snapped up off of one mainstream success, and a CEO wields final, ultimate sway over experimental one-off films.

I'm not ripping into Kennedy here or any of these choices (save Trevorrow, perhaps). It has thus far mostly worked out and probably will continue to work out. I hope it does. But I do think these choices reflect bottom line thinking rather than risk taking.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    There's just not enough evidence to affirm either of our perspectives, to be perfectly honest. We only have the Gilroy and Howard moves, and the Daldry pick, on which to base our judgments and that's just not enough data to identify a trend in KK's approach in the wake of these production hiccups. We are each projecting our own thinking/ preferences on how KK should act at this juncture. You may be right. I might be. Or it'll be somewhere in the middle. I hope KK aims for something in the middle. Take risks with bold directors, but clearly insist on boundaries and expectations up front.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

Sep 25, 2014
    Gigoran Monk,

Fair enough. We're trying to read the tea leaves when there's only a couple of them in the cup.

Just to clarify, when I said how Kennedy "should" act I was meaning her responsibility to shareholders, not my preference. I prefer more risk taking. I expect LFL will follow Marvel. By which I mean sticking to the strongest IP first (saga films and films involving saga figures or connected to saga stories), then eventually branching out in 5-7 years with riskier content (like Marvel is now in their Guardians of the Galaxy/Dr. Strange/Black Panther era).

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Oh, without a doubt. The three anthology films announced thus far all revolve around favorite OT events and characters. That's very much a non-risky approach in terms of content, which is partly why I think KK took some risks with her directorial choices. She likely felt that audiences would arrive in droves for films set right before ANH, so why not go with young firecracker filmmakers? However, as LFL explores riskier territory in the future in terms of content (as Marvel has), I do wonder if that will also drive KK to go with more conventional directors at that stage, just to balance out the risk.

Who knows?

21. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Whilst it is, I believe, no longer canon, I hope a post RoTS/pre-ANH Obi Wan film will take some cues re: Obi Wan's feelings about Anakin/Vader from James Luceno's "Star Wars: Dark Lord - The Rise of Darth Vader." I loved the way the novel revealed to a desperately surprised Obi Wan that Vader/Anakin was still alive after their duel on Mustafar. Some people have mentioned that Kenneth Branagh could play an older Obi Wan. He is a great actor and there's no doubt he could play the character well but for me, honestly, this film is a no-go without Ewan McGregor as Obi Wan.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  22. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    To be honest, I'd love to see a Kenobi film fully explore how the Force manifests itself physically and metaphysically, allowing him "to become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." I'm guessing we might get some of this Force lore in TLJ and Episode IX, but if not, a story about Obi-Wan communing with Qui-Gon and learning the depths of the power of the Force sounds like an ideal opportunity.

El_Machete12, B3, Vasco_Rojo and 6 others like this.
  23. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    That could be really interesting if done well.

24. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Logan was also a big Marvel blockbuster, and it did exactly what some people want from an Obi-Wan film: more talking heads stuff, less action. It's possible, if done right. No need to always underestimate the public.

11-4D likes this.
  25. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I didn't watch Logan but from the trailer alone it seems it was pretty packed with action.

Also, it's not underestimating the public by saying how modern blockbusters are made. That's just stating fact. I don't much care for you trying to paint me an elitist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.