main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Solving EU inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ithorians, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Did the book actually say Jacen spent 6 months training Nelani, rather than leaving their time period together vague? It's been a while since I read it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Vague as to the time. It works, especially as we don't know precisely when Jacen left.

And I'm sure a Sith would turn to someone seeking them and consider it. Like Dooku or Vergere. Nothing in the text stated that Vectivus did not take an apprentice.

Nothing about that Lumiya claimed about Vergere was impossible. At all. If Anakin Skywalker can have a secret wife, then Vergere can have a secret master.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kalzeth likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Lumiya did claim that Vectivus died peacefully in his bed of old age, surrounded by loving relatives. Not usual for Rule of Two Sith, given Bane's insistence that the Apprentice kill the Master to ascend.

That said, there was a reference to him in Darth Plagueis - so he probably wasn't a fraud.

4. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    He could have been deposed but not killed. I can't see how death is a requisite of a handover of power.

In fact I'm relying upon that fact in my After the Awakening One Canon story, set two weeks after TFA.

5. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Interesting!! what is it about?

Well, about Vectivus, sure it sounds conflicting. Still, it´s such a long lineage, the one the Sith have... there are so many options out there. Maybe Vectivus lead the Sith to a period where vengeance upon the Jedi wasn´t really the prime objective, but to grow more powerful to live fuller lives through the dark side.

Maybe, at this point, the Sith were rejecting Bane´s tradition, like Millennial did, and only later it provoked a schism, when a Sith apprentice suddenly started saying "wait a minute, why are we being so nice to the Jedi? they are standing in the way of my growth!!" and started checking the old Sith lore.

Still, I liked to have an old Sith completely out of Sidious´ template. It gives them more depth, and that´s welcome...

Jarrus likes this.
  6. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    kalzeth likes this.
  7. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Vergere was under far greater constraints though and I find it hard to believe Lumiya could have been able to contact her without either the Vong noticing or suspecting something,

8. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Vergere escaped the Vong 6 months into the war and returned to them a good year later. So she had plenty of time to meet with Lumiya.

She convinced the Vong on her return that she had been held by the New Republic for that time.

9. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Wasn't she? Didn't she heal Mara during that time?

And how would Lumiya have met her anyway? Much less known about her?

Next inconsistency is Yoda's battle with the Bphasshi Dark Jedi. When did this occur?

10. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    She healed Mara and vanished for a year. Vergere apparently sought out the Sith and found Lumiya and convinced her not to join up with Krayt.

The Bphasshi stuff occurred during the Clone Wars.

11. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    It was all a bad retcon in any case. And unfortunately writers after LOTF couldn't use their imagination and say maybe Lumiya was lying. No everything she said was true and truthful.

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    They were in the process of de-graying the Jedi, making Jedi and Sith black and white again (yay!) See Paul S. Kemp's Crosscurrent/Riptide duology. Jaden Korr realizes that the thought of the Unifying Force was wrong. If you use the Dark Side as long as it suits your "good" ideals, you are still a Sith.
    If only the Sword of the Jedi -- I mean the poison dagger of the Sith trilogy didn't get cancelled.

My Sword of the Jedi Trilogy: Jaina realizes Jag's ambition to become Galalctic Emperor, and tries to stop him, but it was too late, and Jag kills her after tricking her and Tahiri to teach the first Knights of the Kempeitai everything they knew. The IK sets a trap and kills them.

edit: And it was revealed that Lumiya was actually an Avatar of Abeloth the whole time.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Making the Sith and Jedi morally grey was a good thing. Denning and some of the folks at Lucasfilm didn't like that and so they undid 19 Books of work. They rendered the masterpiece of Traitor irrelevant and made the set up TUF worked so hard to create irrelevant.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  14. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    De-graying the Force was a good thing; but at the time was not 'Star Wars'. Caedus saves the Galaxy with dark side actions; check. Caedus causes the Apocalypse; Oh look, the consequences. I liked it.

The Jedi needed to become Gray to stop a threat which was neither light nor dark. That's fine. But when that threat is gone...?

Lumiya was not an avatar in my mind; but Daala definitely was, DARTH_MU.

15. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always wish Lumiya had been treated better as in she had something worthwhile to say.

And why can't the force be grey?

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    It can, of course, but I took it that the Jedi tethering themselves to a government and engaging in moral relatives was a bad thing.

17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Why can't we have Vergere's darkness in your own heart? Why can't the force be so much bigger than limited mortal notions of light and dark?

Why can't psychology affect how both Jedi and Sith interact with the force?

18. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Vergere's darkness in our hearts....
    Perhaps, but a Jedi should control the darkness. Is a Jedi capable for using Force lightning and Force choke? Absolutely. If she use them though, is she a Jedi or a Sith?
    Furthermore, is Lumiya or Vergere according to Lumiya lying? or is Yoda lying? Seriously, if one had to choose, Lumiya and/or Vergere is the liar.
    Also, why is it that some people say, yeah, grayness in fiction is great! Moral grayness automatically equals realistic?

19. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Moral greyness equals better storytelling most of the time. Moral greyness is more relatable. Now of course it isn't always appropriate but it is a good thing.

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That is very true, Invictus.

21. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    Well, let me put it this way.
    In the first law trilogy, the protagonists won! Then it turns out the first law trilogy Gandalf is actually evil and made First law trilogy Aragorn his puppet ruler by blackmail: be my puppet or First law trilogy Arwen dies!
    The antagonists who opposed first law trilogy Gandalf were literal cannibals....
    How's that for moral ambiguity/grayness?
    After I read stuff like that, I feel like... depression setting in.

22. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Don't forget the gap between Vergere's escape from Han and Droma, then her return to the Vong a couple novels later. She could easily have had enough time to meet up with Lumiya.

Edit: I see Sinrebirth addressed that point already. :)

Sinrebirth likes this.
  23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    How would she have even known of Lumiya's existence?

How did Lumiya know the outcome of the war? I find it hard to believe Lumiya would have so confidently predicted the Vong would lose at that stage. And I don't recall her beings killed at seeing the future.

I mean sure there are enoug gaps in the story that allows people to doubt but that is only case because it fits with the retcon.

Next question I'd have-Zekk married(or was with) Taryn Zel. Does anyone think he had descendants in the Legacy era?

24. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    All of this reminded me of how curious the notion of greyness in Force abilities really is, since I think it has more to do with the motivation than the power itself (for instance, one would hardly choke someone with the Force in a state of mental peace and good will towards him/her).

Actually, I think Jedi Knight handled it pretty well: as Katarn, the player was free to pick the Force abilities they wanted to develop, but the final path chosen had also to do with the way the NPC were handled. Eventually, if he decided to resist the dark side, Katarn would know better, and would avoid using abilities that feed from it.

So, concepts like Electric Judgment end up being a little weird for me: it´s like saying "sure, I electrocuted the guy, but didn´t enjoy it, so it´s all fine". Ironically, I remember the Emperor using Force Lighting somewhere in Legends to avoid Anakin´s heart from stopping when returning from Mustafar: that would be a far better example of a light side use of Force lightning...

Jarrus and Daneira like this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    "Electric Judgment" was one of the most flat-out laughable things in the entire EU, and I'm not intending that as hyperbole.