main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    That article is more than a year old, a lot can change in that time. If the Indy 4 Darabount script was rejected, Koepp's can be too.

2. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    The above is what I was going by as well; that is, at least, the overall consensus from showbiz news, all confirming the same thing. That could still change, sure. We've still got maybe a year-and-change to go before story outlining, pre-production etc. But as it stands, there's no indication of Lucas' involvement.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm choosing to remain optimistic. He's always said he wants to do one more Indy film.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Quite frankly, I'd watch an Indy 6 starring a 110 year old wheelbound Indy if Spielberg and Ford were able to make it an exciting adventure

5. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Anybody thinking about who the villains could be in this film? I'm picturing it taking place in the early sixties if they want to keep in time with KOTCS. Perhaps it could be a prequel set shortly before like TOD, but I doubt it somehow. I kind of hope they go with something more unique like the Thuggee as opposed to a military enemy like the Nazis or Soviets. I kind of want this film to be darker, but it probably won't be too much as it is the final film with Ford, at least as far as I know. I guess it depends on what the MacGuffin is.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  6. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I just can't see him carrying it-Ford likes doing his own stunts and he is getting on in years.

If their gonna do this-needs to be the best one period no finangling, no excuses, no mistakes Ford won't be able to another one, and it should in either two ways-Shia Laboeuf's character takes the reigns, or with the main bad guy defeated and some paean to exploration and "fieldwork" given.

1000/1000 or go home-my expectation

Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I really can't seem to get excited about it. I was pretty disappointed in the last one and am not expecting the new one to be better. For me the saga's climax was Temple of Doom anyway, after that it kept getting less interesting. I even found the much-praised Last Crusade to be a step backward. It felt too similar to Raiders, much like TFA has too little originality for my taste. Strange, it's always the generally least-liked parts of a saga that appeal most to me, Temple of Doom, AOTC, even Alien 3 (not better than the first two, but not much worse either).

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    On the contrary, Sith Lord 2015, I see Last Crusade as my favorite. To each their own of course. But IMO Last Crusade is the best sequel ever made. (I should mention I don't really count SW or LOTR as sequels, as they are a flowing part of a single narrative-whereas Indiana Jones is a series of one-off adventures. Kind of like the Star Trek movies.)

I'm really more just curious than excited. Given Ford's age, especially by the time they begin filming, I am just interested in seeing how they plan on pulling this off. Young Indy is really the only way I could see this making sense. Otherwise we'd have Indiana Jones right during Vietnam and the flower power revolution etc...To me that would feel.....odd.

I guess I'd be up for whatever, but I'd have been perfectly fine if they'd have left it at Crystal Skull. Or Last Crusade really.

9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    That's kind of what I meant. The generally more popular installments of any given saga tend to be the ones I find the least interesting, not always of course, but pretty often. But as you said, to each his own. What I personally found a little disappointing is how Spielberg himself seems to be distancing himself from (bashing???) Temple of Doom, which just happens to be my personal favorite and most "fun". It reminds me too much of how Disney is distancing the franchise from the PT era in favor of the OT, the whole "back to the roots" movement often found in second or third sequels that I find a little boring. The "roots" were OK, but let's just develop beyond that and maybe explore the branches and higher areas of that "tree" instead. Let's see some development and continuation, not a retelling of the same story over and over. I'm more of a "let's move on and show us something we haven't seen before" kind of viewer. In fact I liked Last Crusade when I first watched it, it just lacks the sheer power and roller coaster nonstop adventure and thrills that ToD was. I felt that the makers of Crusade just said "oh, forget about new elements, let's just make another Raiders and get Connery this time, it's what the fans want anyway".

oierem likes this.
  10. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I'm inconsistent I guess. I like The Last Crusade best of the Indiana Jones follow-ups even though it is admittedly the most safe (though I like all 4 of them a lot) whilst I prefer the Prequel Trilogy over The Force Awakens. The thing that I am certain that Disney Lucasfilm will not do with the next Indy film is carry on its genre-mashing tradition which gave each of the Raiders follow-ups its own flavor IMO. Which I do think TLC manages to do despite harkening the closest to the original film, namely how it channels buddy/screwball comedy given elements like the relationship with his father and the bigger/broader comedy pieces. The change may be more "subtle" for lack of a better term given it wasn't in the form of more overt plot/set-dressing elements like the pulp horror and B-science fiction bents added to Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull respectively, but it does make it feel like enough of it's own experience to me anyway. And I do think there's genuine heart to the relationship between the Jones' and overall for the most part I think I like it more because I prefer its characters. I don't hate TFA per se and maybe I am just a hypocrite, but there was a lot less in it that I felt like I couldn't get from some other movie in the series. Lacking a unique flavor to distinguish itself from the pack for me. Just my two cents on the subject.

SilentGuy66, Gobi-1 and MrMojoRisin like this.
  11. The One Above All

The One Above All Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 11, 2017
    Here's something I'm curious about: will Mutt return or does Shia even want to come back? Personally, I've nothing against the character since I honestly thought he was one of the few good things about KOTCS.

12. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    One more Indy for the road. Knock it out of the park Disney.

13. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    Last Crusade was released in 1989 and set in 1938
    [19 years elapse]
    Crystal Skull was released in 2008 and set in 1957
    [11 years elapse]
    Indy 5 will be released in 2019 and set in 1968 (following the same convention)

14. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
  15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    That's a parody account, isn't?

16. DarkEnforcer

DarkEnforcer Jedi Youngling

Jul 11, 2017
    Hmm, I'm not sure about this. Indy 5 seems interesting and all, but Harrison Ford is getting too old for the role. He wouldn't be able to move as swiftly as he used to, like in the earlier installments. Though I guess this is better than having that rumored reboot they've been teasing years ago.

17. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I wouldn't expect a 75 or 76 year old Harrison Ford to move as swiftly as he did in his 30s, and 40s. His age will have to be a big part of the film's storyline. I can see more vehicle based action scenes where Indy doesn't have to be physically running around. A western style shoot out would be great too, similar to what they had in Raiders of the Lost Ark in Marion's tavern. Having said that Ford was in fine form for The Force Awakens but he didn't have to carry the action by himself either. Shia LaBeouf want be back so they should team Prof. Jones up with one of his students.

Another thing to consider is Indy's age vs Ford's real age. Indiana Jones was born on July 1st, 1899 so Ford since Temple of Doom has played the character younger than he actually was. For example Ford was sixty-five when he filmed Kingdom of the Crystal Skull but Indy's age was only fifty-seven. Ford may be in his mid 70s when he plays Indy again but the character may only be in his 60s.

18. DarkEnforcer

Jul 11, 2017
    Wow! That's an interesting insight into his age. Thank you for sharing, Gobi-1 ! I'll take note of this when Indy 5 starts showing. :)

19. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013

That would make Indy 68 / 69 in the next movie. So the same age that Bruce Springsteen is now. I saw him last year in concert and he does not look like a person nearing 70.

20. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    Ageing isn't what it use to be.

Also Indy 5 doesn't have to be set 12 years after KotCS to match the years between Indy 4 and 5. I think they could set the film in 1959 and Ford could get away with it.

21. DarkEnforcer

Jul 11, 2017
    Hmm, this is a good point. Knowing Harrison Ford's acting prowess, he can definitely get away with us.

22. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Umm, upon reflection...I think it might be. Whoops.[face_blush]

23. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    I could see Ford getting one last film in as Indy before it gets to be too much for him. I didn't think he did too bad in Crystal Skull. The question would be is if they'd even want LeBeouf back after the way he's been getting into trouble?

24. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    I wouldn't expect LeBeouf to return. Mutt may be mentioned but that's it.

25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Especially given that he said he didn't like Spielberg's direction and he wasn't too big a fan of Crystal Skull either