main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Boxing Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthSubZero, May 15, 2007.

1. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    What is hysterical is a so called alltime great going 10 rounds with an a MMA fighter making his professional boxing debut.

2. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    CT-867-5309

Andre Berto - Floyd wins first three rounds on ALL scorecards
    [​IMG]

Pacquiao - Floyd wins first three rounds on ALL scorecards
    [​IMG]

Floyd does not give away early rounds and make it up later. Conor would have gassed against just about any B level or greater pro boxer.

And an asterisk on fight 50 is not hysterical. Go look at Floyd's entire career record right now. Each fight shows the opponent's record preceding the fight mentioned. Floyd's last fight has an opponent with "debut" mentioned for his record. It was a spectacle, not a legitimate boxing match. Show me another ATG with a last match being against a debut opponent. Floyd was shameless in padding his record. There was no serious person talking about Conor winning this fight. Most of his supporters even hedged with "Conor will surprise you". It is why all the people that paid big money to see Conor in person were perfectly happy with Conor's performance.

Lord-Skywalker likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "So called". See what I mean? Hysterical. He has a legitimate claim to GOAT. He's 50-0 and has beaten a who's who, and yes he beat the MMA fighter making his boxing debut by TKO in the 10th round. All Floyd does is win.

It's like you guys don't know anything about Floyd. He doesn't have much power, especially at his current age and weight, and has never been the type to even try to blow someone away. He's a calculating, defensive fighter, not Mike Tyson.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

That's not how asterisks work. You don't put an asterisk because the opponent just wasn't experienced/good. A fight is a fight.

You put an asterisk when there is cheating involved, or something major like that. The most common call for an asterisk is when the athlete was later revealed to be on PEDs.

EDIT: An asterisk references an annotation or something otherwise omitted (like cheating discovered later). If it says "debut" under his opponent's record, literally no asterisk is needed, because it's right there in the record. What's the asterisk for? What is being referenced?

5. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Let's see.

It was 12 rounds. That means it was a championship fight. Championship of what? Where are the rankings? Who did McGregor beat in pro boxing to earn that ranking? Has there ever been a debut fighter for a championship match?

By every measure, this was an exhibition fight. Those don't go on your record. * Any explanation only hurts the sport of boxing.

6. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Floyd is the best fighter in a horrible era of boxing. He is one of the best welterweights of all time but perhaps not even the best in that category. Both Sugar Rays would given him fits (especially Robinson) while Kid Gavilan was no easy turnip either.

As for the stoppage, had it been against a true top rank boxer it would been too early. But since it was against a professional boxer "in name only", it was 100% okay. Conor was 100% out of his element and needed to be protected against himself then a true boxer. Just the same, if it was Floyd in the octagon against Conor, I fully expect the ref to protect Floyd then he would against a top MMA fighter because Floyd should get seriously messed up by Conor.

And like Joe Rogan said, Conor has a lot of fighting left in him. No reason to have his bell rung in a glorified sparring match that turns into Chuck Liddell quicker.

The ref did suck though. Way too fast in breaking up the clinches (dirty boxing is BOXING) and the "special instructions" for Conor just was another reminder this wasn't really a championship boxing match but rather a spectale for fun.

Juliet316 and Jester J Binks like this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    A Chorus of Disapproval - which way are you leaning in Alvarez-Golovkin?

GGG is the Vegas favorite, and I'd rather see him win this fight, as we likely have 5-10 more prime years of Canelo. Sounds entirely possible that this could be one of the, if not the last, fights for GGG. I am a fan of both fighters, so the hope is that GGG wins this one and decides to take the rematch. Better for us. :p

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I feel the same about Golovkin going out with a win while Canelo has more left in the tank. The matchup is brilliant in that they both trained together until GGG broke off so I tend to have a feeling that Canelo is going to rout him in later rounds after an absurdly evenly matched first half. Logically, it should be GGG but I can't shake the feeling that this is not going to go his way. Balance and footing are my gauge on a fighter's overall form and Canelo has mastered anchoring himself. I suppose that is what I'm seeing in this matchup. Should be GGG, though.

heels1785 likes this.
  9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Totally agree. Aggressive, but technically very sound. Maybe a bit moreso than Golovkin.

Also doesn't help that it's tough to look at the last fight from either and come away with anything. Chavez was never in it, and Jacobs had the fight of his life. GGG's got more power than Amir Khan, but that fight may be the blueprint for what his camp should be afraid of - not putting enough damage on Alvarez early on, and allowing him to essentially charge up and take control after three or four rounds, when he's proven that he can really start landing bombs. To some extent, the same is true for the other side, although so many of GGG's knockouts are in the early-to-early mid rounds, whereas Canelo's fights have trended a bit longer.

I'd say the pressure is on Golovkin to start fast.

10. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016

Golovkin's strength is his confidence and focus. He's so confident that he can survive what his opponent is going to deliver his way that GGG can focus entirely on what he needs to do in uninterrupted detail. His natural ability/attribute of unwavering confidence allowed him to develop the skill of focus. There is no quit in him. Canelo will have to shatter that confidence. He needs to have GGG doubt his record has properly prepared him for this level. Golovkin also appears to have stayed just a slight more active than Canelo these past 5 years (due to big PPV events for Canelo I'm sure)

Canelo's strength is that he grows from every fight. What is important is that his record is full of top teachers (opponents). His wins might not look as easy as GGG's, because they weren't. It is hard to bet against the boxer with the better resume. Canelo has two big question mark fights for me.
    1. Miguel Cotto. By the time Canelo met Cotto, Cotto was damaged goods. Mainly because of that horrible cheat "Hands of Plaster" Margarito. Cotto was never quite the same after that fight, which is heartbreaking because prior to that fight, a Cotto fight was a thing of beauty to behold. Canelo fought the Cotto that had become the gatekeeper for those wishing to graduate to (or strengthen) PPV power. He was a bowling pin with a great name that wouldn't go down easy, but also was less risk than his previous record implied. And Canelo did not dominate the thoroughly beaten prior to ring entry Cotto.
    2. Mayweather. It isn't that he lost. No shame in that. It is the way he lost. Canelo did not display "quit", but he did display the cautious (and then frustrated) boxer. The exact opposite of what I mentioned with Golovkin.

But Golovkin hasn't fought Mayweather or even Cotto, Kell Brook looks good on the record list, but Brook had to go up two weight classes for that fight. Jacobs might actually be GGG's best resume win, and he did not dominate that fight (or even KO) like he usually does. Bad night, age showing or just a step up in class revealing GGG's actual level? In a role reversal, Canelo's last fight with Chavez Jr. was a massive step down in competition for Canelo.

If I had to go simply by looking at the fights of each with little to no background on their opponents, this would seem an easy pick for a GGG win. But boxing, like no other sport I know, has a way of creating false hope based off looking good with wins over less than A level boxers. It isn't that I don't think GGG can't handle the step up in fighting an opponent with a great resume, it is simply that I don't like that it took 38 pro fights to find out.

As far as who I want to win, the rematch clause only if GGG wins makes that the best short term reward. I wouldn't mind a close fight that GGG wins only to have Canelo grow and progress to a good win in the rematch. But if I'm just looking at one fight, it is better if Canelo wins for the sport. A GGG win might have the feel good sugar rush of the night, but I really don't want the next big PPV boxing star to lose to somebody on the way out. I like when the torch is passed (or in this case, the torch simply decided) where the retiring loser gives the impression the torch is being passed to an equal that simply has prime youth as the advantage.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  11. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    heels1785 A Chorus of Disapproval - or anybody else for that matter:

Do you have any reservations about GGG boxing record? I'm not talking about GGG's willingness to test himself against the top names because the line of thought on that is the top names unwillingness to fight him, not GGG's. But that doesn't change the fact that Jacobs might be the best boxer on GGG's record. But even Jacobs might be at the B+ (A-) level as opposed to the A level. GGG didn't really do all that badly against Jacobs. It did give him the full 12 round experience he might have needed going into the Canelo fight.

I've seen it with even great fighters that have a few years of looking good against "not quite the top" competition, go up against a supposed underdog that had spent the last few years battling top boxers that took them to that top level.

It isn't that I don't think GGG could prove to be an ATG. It is just that I can't be sure until he fights somebody that is going to make a W a tough one. Obviously, a win over Canelo will be a defining statement. If GGG wins, I really hope he can have one or two more PPV's with a few more top names.

This sort of reminds me of Calzaghe. He was assumed to be a paper champion until he obliterated Jeff Lacy and then closed out his career with some great name wins. Those last fights did more for his legacy than anything before it. I hope GGG gets to take that final road.

This is the first fight in a long time where I'm actually happy with either boxer as the winner, assuming they do something with this defining win thereafter.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    really sharp points, jj. spot on.

coincidentally- yesterday, golovkin's camp was making noise about jacobs ducking the pre-fight weigh-in, implying that was the reason that the fight was competitive. jacobs had a strong chin and is a good technical boxer - i don't buy the weight argument. at no point was it looking like he would overpower ggg.

for golovkin, this fight is his crown jewel. for canelo, it may just be another notch on his belt, despite his much younger career - mosley, khan, cotto, and then even the loss to floyd was a "good" fight for canelo. with a loss to his one premier opponent, is ggg even in the same conversation with those guys? i'd say probably not.

i love the comparison to JC. the same could be said for a guy like winky wright, up until he agreed to fight shane. obviously not with the same level of dominance as calzaghe, but fought a relatively weak slate while holding a belt for a considerable amount of time.

i'm great with either winning. i'd rather it go to gennady, just because i think we get a better shot at a 2nd, or maybe 3rd fight. in my gut, though, i think canelo is the better fighter, and were i a betting man (i am not), i'd put my money there.

Jester J Binks likes this.
  13. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I hate hearing stuff like that. GGG would serve his career better by simply stating that Jacobs "is kinda like me. Taken for granted, but much better than the general public give him credit." I think Jacobs only loss was to Pirog, and Pirog might have been a great if not for a career ending back injury. Even if the pre-fight weigh-in event has legitmacy, GGG won. No need to apologize. If he beats Canelo, then any doubt from the Jacobs fight will be immediately erased.

Good point. In the 90s and 00s, I used to record (and trade, pre-YouTube) boxer's careers. And every time somebody with potential lost a career defining fight that questioned their A status, those recordings were no longer enjoyable to view. If Canelo somehow blows out GGG, then all GGG's past fight will be viewed as just busting up tomato cans.

One of the reasons I started to not love boxing as much. People should have a name because they came up a similar path as other greats: fighting the best. Not be picking and choosing, but climbing the rankings ladder (although the rankings aren't exactly pure either). Calzaghe/Winky afraid of the competition or was the competition afraid of them? A never ending tournament style actually based off legitimate rankings would make those dilemmas irrelevant. Teddy Atlas is a blowhard, but I like when he loses his breath screaming about demands for a regulated boxing commission.

Oh man. A trilogy. Why are trilogies so damn awesome? Star Wars or boxing. Even two C level fighters like Gatti v. Ward fighting each other in a trilogy is highly entertaining. Ok, I kinda know why. A legitimate trilogy means the two boxers are evenly matched, which means they are inflicting serious and long term damage on one another. The promoters better make sure these legitimate trilogy participants are set up for life financially thereafter. GGG v Canelo x3 should be an easy hurdle for both being filthy rich. Better not see Canelo begging for money a decade later.

I'm not really a betting dude either. Small amounts between friends, but online/Vegas. Never could bring myself to do it. Kind of regret it though because I would have made a fortune from 90 to about 07 / 08. As long as I could keep my emotional biases in check, it would have been guaranteed cash money every time. Half the time now, I'm watching a boxing match in the corner of my monitor while working on other things. So my awareness has become seriously debilitated.

I honestly don't know who to *bet* on in this fight. Every time I decide on one, my gut tells me no. And it is going to be embarrassing if one gets dominated Jeff Lacy style, with the other boxer telling his corner "he's *****!" I'll need mod privileges to edit my old posts where I pretend "I knew it all along. How could you not see that ______ was all hype?" O:)

heels1785 likes this.
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    man, you bring up gatti-ward and i immediately head over to watch round 9.

nothing gets me fired up quite like that. i am obsessed with so many different sports, but that very well may be my favorite "moment," if I ever had to name one. wish i had seen it live, but that's why youtube is so beautiful. :p

15. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    There is nothing like live boxing ... or at bare minimum, not knowing the outcome as you are watching. When you watch something knowing the outcome (maybe even the round it ends), things just seem infinitely less dramatic. Unlike you, even though I played a lot sports growing up, I really didn't enjoy watching them. That even included watching sports I was actually playing at the time. Boxing was the first one I discovered where a one second turn of the head can mean you missed EVERYTHING.

Sure, you can witness a boxer getting exhausted, but it is not rare for an exhausted boxer to come back and win in the performance of their life. If you already know they are going to make that comeback, the early exhaustion (or damage) seems less significant. Yes, there is the skill to enjoy ... but enjoying the skill and drama simultaneously is THE BEST. When I truly care about a boxing match and the echo of that opening bell is still in the air, I almost feel light headed with anxiety. Those first 2 to 4 rounds can be so intense.

Look at something like Lennox v. McCall 1. I had already told my casual boxing fans "there's the HW heir apparent", then out of nowhere ... he's on the canvas. Same with W. Klitschko v. Sanders. I recall the thrill of Hopkins v. Trinidad. It was heightened by the fact that it was the first big PPV post-9/11 when friends were still in a bit of "what does it matter" funk. Should we be watching something like boxing or be doing something "better for humanity" (meaning complaining about it). But the skill of Hopkins slowly picking Trinidad apart until Trinidad was up on his toes in defeat had us forgetting momentarily that things beyond our control made the planet suck and we could just cheer in friendship again.

The closest any other sport (for viewing) finding me as a fan was hockey. Mainly because the plays were very similar to the plays I had mastered in Water Polo, but Water Polo is intense as a player, but as boring as watching paint dry to watch. Hockey had speed and the skill of what I could understand well. But even that grew tiresome for me.

Boxing just offers the thrill of the possibility of turning on a dime and ending in dramatic fashion coupled with the idea that it all boils down to "one" person instead of a team. I don't have to curse that the world's greatest basketball player (example) is held back by the world's crappiest team. But the promoters (thanks Arum and King) sometimes want to make me give up on even that.

heels1785 likes this.
  16. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Looks like the forum had its daily downtime as I made my GGG v. Canelo final prediction post.

I've almost always regretted betting against the guy with the better resume (clearly Canelo), but here I am. Doing it again. I'm picking GGG. And the deciding factor might actually be their last fight.

Canelo "looked good" against Chavez JR. I'm sorry, but I've never liked JR. He's mentally weak (like Victor Ortiz weak). Canelo should have had JR. quitting on his stool sometime after the 6th round. That's how little I think of JR. And if Canelo can't mentally break a mental weakling (for boxing) like JR., how is he going to do it to GGG? GGG has knocked people out milliseconds before getting hit flush himself. Is Canelo a heavy hitter? I'd say just moderately good in that aspect.

Meanwhile, GGG "looked not great" against Jacobs. Again, sorry. Jacobs is much better than given credit. More importantly GGG proved he could maintain composure and win via points when the opponent isn't wilting in front of him.

I'll still be happy if Canelo wins. I like the guy and I like what he represents for boxing. My mind likes both fighters, but my guy likes GGG more.

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with everything you said (especially re: JCC Jr), but I'm going with Canelo by points. I'll be plenty happy if I'm wrong!

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed. I have felt this since childhood. But, it was never more clear than only this December past, in the final moments of the Bernard Hopkins/Joe Smith Jr. match. I was so incredibly torn between the Irish immigrant in me investing in the up and coming "Irish Bomber" and the late aged Philadelphia legend, due to being raised in Philly and his visits to my childhood boxing school. But, that KO was so out of nowhere that I was standing on my sofa, hollering, and then was rolling around on the floor hollering, while our dog was going berserk. It was outrageous in its abruptness.

Jester J Binks and heels1785 like this.
  19. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Oh, I can't stand that the ring has no serious apron beyond the ropes. Ok, it is so the photographers can get their great shots, but with today's cameras and ability for remote control mounts/rails, that's not a good enough excuse.

Yes, it is a hurt sport, but that doesn't mean I like the idea that some boxer could snap their neck from a 3-4 foot drop, head first, unconscious.

But I do enjoy the fact that a boxer can be in total control and in the blink of an eye, they are on the mat getting counted out.

20. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I'll feel apprehensive about my GGG pick (at least until the 2nd or 3rd round where some questions could be answered), but I've gained a tremendous amount of confidence with Teddy Atlas picking against me.

Floyd says Canelo wins with body work. Never really followed the accuracy of Floyd's picks. "Going to the body" is a bit generic for advice. Going to the body should be in every fight plan.

Most pro boxers are picking Canelo from what I've noticed. My head agrees with them. I was actually surprised when GGG was announced as the slight betting favorite. My first thought was "good time to make money betting on an underdog that isn't actually the underdog." But I'm sticking with GGG. Teddy Atlas must be something like 4 out of 1000 in big fight predictions.

Found this and it sounds believable
    Teddy Atlas picked:
    • Pacquiao over Mayweather
    • Margarito over Pacquiao
    • Cotto over Margarito in their first meeting
    • De la Hoya over Mayweather
    • Mosley over Cotto
    • Tony Thompson over Wlad Klitschko
    • Ricardo Mayorga over Oscar DLH
    • Mikkel Kessler over Joe Calzaghe
    • Margarito over Shane Mosley
    • Jermain Taylor over Kelly Pavlik
    • De la Hoya over Pacquiao
    • Pavlik over Bernard Hopkins
    • Roy Jones Jr. over Joe Calzaghe
    • Zab Judah over Floyd Mayweather
    • Juan Diaz over Juan Manuel Marquez in their first meeting
    • Zab Judah over Miguel Cotto
    • Sultan Ibragimov over Wlad Klitschko
    • David Haye over Wlad Klitschko
    • Manny Pacquiao over Tim Bradley in their first meeting, and
    • Tim Bradley over Manny Pacquiao in their second meeting
    Losing confidence in your Canelo pick now that Atlas agrees with you, heels1785 ? :p

heels1785 likes this.
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    LOL! Nice research work there, JJ - awesome.

Some of those aren't too bad - Teddy always has to be noticed, which I suspect is why he made some of those picks. Antonio Margarito, lol. Talk about a guy who wilted in big fights.

I'll stick with my shaky pick for now. :p

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    The match is officially ordered so we are all a go for tomorrow night. I'm still going with Canelo in defiance of Teddy Atlas.

heels1785 likes this.
  23. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    Just a great night for boxing.

1st round - Very close, but I'd have to give it to GGG as he was in control, despite being cautious at the same time

2nd - 3rd round - Canelo settled in. He'd been under these bright lights before. He didn't need to settle into the event, just GGG. He did. GGG was fighting the event and Canelo. I don't know how these boxers do it, because I can guarantee my blood pressure goes up the opening round of big fights (I might not be able to watch boxing once I pass 60, it is that intense). If I was in the ring, I'd probably pass out. GGG seemed to be experiencing a little bit of that. Canelo could lose and come back. GGG loses this and his career is ultimately forgotten shortly thereafter. And you could tell that was on GGG's mind early. Didn't want to overextend and get caught with something before he knew he could handle it.

4th round - GGG takes over and takes over big. Pretty much all the way to the last 3 rounds.

Rounds 10-12 - Canelo won on all cards. This is a bit generous to Canelo, as he was hardly taking control. He just wasn't getting as badly dominated. GGG was hardly shrinking. In fact, GGG knew if their roles were reversed, he could now cruise to victory. But he knew he was on the losing end of Las Vegas politics. So he made sure to keep fighting like he wanted to win every round.

End of fight was glorious. Everything boxing needed. GGG proved his previous domination record was real. Canelo proved he's tough and can still fight to win even when he really needed at least a knockdown to win. GGG would win 7 to 5 or 8 to 4.

Then they read Adalaide Byrd's score. 118-110 (10 rounds to 2) for Canelo. OMG. Boxing just can't help itself. And Byrd has a long history of being WAY OFF on the cards. How do horrible judges not just ruin one fight, but get the opportunity to ruin countless fights? I would almost be ok with the draw if not for this card. But come on. It wasn't even a draw. GGG won this and they've tarnished his record.

This is not good for boxers. One boxer knowing they can only win by KO means they become more susceptible to the KO because they might have to go for a KO when it isn't there.

This actually hurt Canelo. 7-5 victory for Golovkin would have provided a rematch as well as not really hurting Canelo. He did dig down deep to fend off the KO and he looked the warrior doing it. But now that is tainted. And Canelo's post fight interview of "if the fans want the rematch" just made me lose respect for him. The only right answer was "we have to do this again."

Some are saying Golovkin should just go beat Billy Joe Saunders to collect all four main belts and make Canelo come to him as the B side. I kind of agree. Nothing pisses me off more about boxing than the "administrators" of the sport. Byrd should never judge another boxing match again. She shouldn't get paid for tonight as she obviously didn't watch the fight ... her job.

24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    had an unexpected death in my family, ultimately was unable to watch this fight. i did have a buddy watching at a bar in chicago that i was texting with - he sounded pretty convinced that golovkin won.

i'm going to try to catch a replay, until then i'm pretty useless. the wise man jj binks has it right on byrd - she's the cecil peoples of boxing, she has an awful history. having not seen this fight, i won't indict her for this one yet, but she was a terrible judge before yesterday.

hopefully will be able to see it soon!

ps - did anyone see teddy atlas after the fight? lol.

25. Jester J Binks

Dec 19, 2016
    I've already talked about what I don't like about Atlas. And I even commented on how he was right on the last Pacquiao fight (similar outburst on judging) but was way too dramatic.

But I also understand that Atlas isn't upset about this one decision or that it was the worst robbery ever. It wasn't. It is that it keeps happening and worse, you know it is going to keep happening unless something dramatic happens. Dramatic like a boycott of every PPV until the administration (judges, refs, promoters, sanctioning bodies) fixes it. Instead, it is just a slow death for the sport.

My favorite Atlas meltdown moment where he said if he knew how to do something other than boxing, he'd leave boxing. He's only there because it is all he's good at and has too much time in it to walk away.

Joe Rogan also had a podcast that was available after the fight. Round 12 they are all saying what a great night it is for boxing. They all agreed GGG should get the nod and only corruption would explain anything different. Then the scores are announced and all the "great night for boxing" talk turned into "this is why boxing sucks" talk.

And Canelo did not look bad. GGG just looked better. Convincing enough that the majority of people will see that GGG should have won the fight, but not so one sided that he was a Jeff Lacy v. Calzaghe type. GGG just started to make it look more like a GGG fight after the first 3 rounds. Canelo has a good chin, skills and counterpunching, so there's no shame in GGG not getting a KO.

It is a shame for both GGG and Canelo. They went in there and gave boxing what it needed. And the administration took all those weeks of preparing and 47 minutes of grueling physical work and destroyed it in less than a minute.

heels1785 likes this.