main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    A James Bond in what? :eek:

Ooookaaay, concerning to be a women's heart-throb you are correct.

2. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Twist: The movie will be set when Obi-Wan was ten years old and Ewan will play Obi-Wan's dad. Also Obi-Was was a clone of his dad.

B3 likes this.
  3. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Obi-Wan can tell Vader he has a son, a last ditch attempt to persuade him to turn back to the light. Feeling conflicted he tells his old master, "Please give him my lightsaber, you know, the one you picked up on Mustafar, after you sliced off my arm and legs"

4. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013

I THINK I'm right in the mind, so I'll try to explain this... ;)

While I don't hate the idea, I am apprehensive about it.
    When I watch ANH, part of what's impactful about it is that I always felt it was showing Obi-Wan kind of coming out of retirement. I liked the thought that he laid low after ROTS, and now, 20 years later, found himself being drawn back into the fight. If we find out that he's actually been having a bunch of adventures after ROTS, it detracts from that. It would be somewhat like if they made a Luke prequel movie, showing him having a bunch of exciting adventures before ANH. For me, ANH was Luke's first "steps into a large world," and also Obi-Wan's inevitable return to that world after years of living as a secluded hermit.
    And it's simply not a time period I'm particularly interested in. ROTS ended with him going into seclusion, and in ANH, he came out of it. It worked very neatly. I thought ROTS and ANH both told us enough about what he was doing in those 20 years-- he was watching over Luke from a distance, while getting training from Qui-Gon's spirit. I never really felt there were any unanswered questions about that stretch of time.

As for a "one last mission" kind of movie, I'm not sure they could (or should) come up with something more powerful than his confrontation with Anakin, so I don't see much point.

An introspective movie about him dealing with everything that transpired could be good, I just don't know if I see Disney/Lucasfilm taking that approach. More likely, I see them giving him some new side-kicks, some lightsaber battles, maybe some space battles, etc. Typical SW stuff.

Of course, I'm still interested in it. If nothing else, it will be nice to see Ewan back in the role, but I just worry about the potential of it doing more harm than good. Keeping my fingers crossed, though.

ezekiel22x and Sudooku like this.
  5. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    As Obi Wan? If so why when Ewan is perfect?

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  6. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    Some of you guys brought the example of Logan as a potential reference movie, I was thinking about a possible better cinematographic example, the master piece from Clint Eastwood, Unforgivable.

Imagine a war veteran that had lost and had to walk away from it all, living in exile and watching over a child....yet the world (actually galaxy) around him continues to be extremely violent....and they forced his hand to get out of his retirement/meditative/contemplative state to engage in one last encounter....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ewoksimon and Darth Smurf like this.
  7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    He means as a Tusken Raider chieftain.

8. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Michael Fassbender as A'Sharad Hett? [face_thinking]

OK, maybe not. :p

9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Darth Krayt! Like it.

DarthRosie and TCF-1138 like this.
  10. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Thinking about it some more, the chances of Lucasfilm making a SW film that doesn’t have at least two planets is probably nil. I think deep down we all know that. However, I think they’ll get around that by having all the other principle and supporting characters doing the space hopping for us, and then they’ll all converge on Tatooine in the third act, with Obi-Wan himself remaining grounded throughout. That way, they’ll be able to partake in traditional SW space fairing, but still leave Obi-Wan in one place.

11. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Would someone interview Ewan already?

my kind of scum likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    The Emmys are coming up in a few weeks, and he's nominated for Fargo, so the question is bound to pop up soon.

13. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    Maybe when Obi-Wan becomes the third Fulcrum.

14. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I don't see why the film can't take place solely on Tatooine. Take the risk, and trust that the audience will want to follow Kenobi on a more intimate adventure. Plus, from the production standpoint, keeping the narrative bound on a single planet would make the film less expensive, rather than spending another $200 million.

Vasco_Rojo and Gigoran Monk like this.
  15. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Michael Fassbender would make a perfect Soontir Fel in my mind.

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I wonder if he could visit the rebel base on Dantooine at some point without it messing with any of the continuity...? [face_thinking] I know they were going to use it early on in the RO process... Would love to see it on film!

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  17. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Possibly. He could turn up to the base but realizes it has been abandoned.

Sudooku likes this.
  18. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would imagine in the time he (could have) visited - it would be functional. How long before ANH was it abandoned...? If they go with Ewan again I can't imagine the film would be set too close to the original...he still needs time to "morph" into Sir AG :cool:

TCF-1138 likes this.
  19. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I want to see Obi Wan showing up at Tosche station to buy power converters.
    He gets the answer: "We have none"
    Asking: "What about these ones?"
    Answer:" They are reserved for Luke Skywalker"

TheManFromMortis and Krueger like this.
  20. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    Apologies if I'm dense and missing something: where's the Lucasfilm announcement about this?

21. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    It hasn't been officially announced. The Hollywood trades are all reporting it though so the likelihood that it's happening is high.

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  22. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    Maybe it's all just some kind of misunderstanding?

23. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No. All the trades reported on it. They're not gossip tabloids. I actually believe the same thing happened with Rian Johnson's appointment. His hiring was first reported in all the trades, but Lucasfilm, for whatever reason, weren't ready to say anything themselves. Then they quietly made an announcement on the official SW website. I fully expect the same thing to happen here.

24. Vasco_Rojo

Vasco_Rojo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 21, 2016
    For those concerned with featuring one planet to be truthful to Kenobi's mission vs others concerned about variety of planets to be truthful to SW tradition, you can easily do both. You can show for example Obi Wan always in Tatooine, never leaving the planet, while featuring other events across the galaxy in other scenes with other characters.

How cool would it be to show Bail Organa in Alderaan before its destruction, with little Leia playing in the background? They could communicate via holonet for example, RO established that, Bail had knowledge of him and seemed to have been in touch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  25. Sudooku

May 31, 2014
    No need to shoehorn in such. Obi-Wan is sufficient enough to have his own adventures. Or do you want Vader being seen to train Starkiller before the first Death Star is blown up, while Obi-Wan is hovering as a force ghost above it all?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.