main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit MACLUNKY -- The Lit Forum Maclunky Thread, v3

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Sep 12, 2015.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    ....so I did a Force Friday thing and I won a comically large porg in a raffle.

[​IMG]

3. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I am so jealous right now.

4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I worked tonight, so I had to watch people run and grab up all those lovely black series thrawns, reys, and heras. We ended up with like 6 vaders, a stormtrooper, and a kylo left, all the rest gone. At least I got a decent selection of Pops.

5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    DANG IT!

I mean, good for you. But I want one. [face_laugh]

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well bugger, Dark Matter's been cancelled.

Do get 2 more seasons of Killjoys.

Vthuil likes this.
  7. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    What the ________!
    NOOOOOOOOOOO

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I don't have the money until Wednesday, but I really hope I can find a Black Series Thrawn figure then. I'll try to get Hera later.

9. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    IIRC the ratio was like 1 Thrawn, 2-3 Heras, 4-5 Rey, 4-5 Luke, 6 ish Kylo, and like 8 Vaders. Thrawn and Hera are going to go fast.

I ended up ordering Hera and Rey on Amazon.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Interesting. I don't know what the case ratios are, but I went to my store as soon as it opened and the ratio between Hera and Thrawn was 2:3.

Of Vaders there were like a zillion.

In anyway, my general rule for EU figures is... get it as soon as you can. Otherwise, you never know if it's something like Revan.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Maybe it was 2 Thrawns to 3 Heras. I didn't go through all 3 rows of the shipper completely.

12. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This is too epically adorable :bb8head:

13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    No I meant that there were more Thrawns than Heras in my store but I dunno if that reflects the case ratio or not.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005

Ah. Either way, there were way too many Vaders, and not enough Rey, Hera, and Thrawn. We have like 6 Vaders left, and none of the others. As for Pops, at this point it is mainly Snoke, with one Finn and like 2 Lukes.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Gamiel and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  17. Onderon1

Onderon1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2008
    Congrats! =D=

If I could afford one of the smaller ones, I'd almost be tempted to get one - but they're a bit pricey, and I don't want Furby Syndrome (odd chirps at 2 a.m. and whatnot) to keep me awake. :p

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Grr. Depowered my computer and thus lost all my open tabs.

19. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The cover for my upcoming second novel in the Bright Falls Mysteries: AN AMERICAN WEREDEER IN MICHIGAN starring Jane Doe.

[​IMG]

20. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
  21. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I saw the 40th anniversary Close Encounters of the Third Kind re-release in IMAX today, totally alone in the theater as well, which was the perfect way to see a movie, as far as I'm concerned. CE3K has always been an important movie today, I feel like the sense of wonder and... I guess a sort of secular spiritualism throughout it has always resonated with me. Plus the version showed was the proper one, the 1998 version that cuts out the mothership interior at the ending. I also never realized before that there's a Jaws reference in the movie (one of the Air Force officers is named Benchley). Plus kind of funny there is some prominent Star Trek visual references. Though watching it now, it did make me wonder how big a role the movie had in shaping modern conspiracy theories, not only with UFOs but any kind of government cover-up stuff.

It was preceded by a ten minute or so retrospective with not only Spielberg, but JJ Abrams and Denis Villeneuve. Listening to their opinions on the movie was pretty funny, because it was exactly what you would expect - Abrams talked about the nostalgia of it coming out again and how great it is because it shows a realistic family and kids, and Villeneuve talked about how Spielberg used the camera and did his direction in really innovative ways.

I actually thought that Abrams' comments were a bit weird because, as much as I love it, I always feel like CE3K uses Richard Dreyfuss's family in a really off-putting way. His wife is depicted as being more concerned with fitting in with her friends and neighbors than believing her husband and blames him for being crazy, and his kids (at least the sons) are depicted as kind of nuts. But then that's essentially all set up to justify Dreyfuss becoming the ultimate deadbeat dad and the tone switches from "nagging wife" to "Dad would rather play with his model Devil's Tower, hang out with the cute single mom, and go on an interstellar joyride than reconcile with his family." Especially for a Spielberg film and his obsessions with families, particularly ones from the kids' perspective where the dad has split, it's a strange tone.

Still a great movie, though. Especially the last 30 minutes or so.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    In other, non movie director news, the guys of "A Star Wars Comic" are making a pass at IDW on Twitter. I doubt it'll work, but they'd deserve it. Their unofficial work has been nothing but good IMHO.

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    You're the Worst is back for season four tonight.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  24. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Fingers crossed it works, they are amazing!

25. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I got myself a Thrawn figure today. :D

Then I went to my local used bookstore and found some nice hardcovers for 2.95 a piece...
    [​IMG]