main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Leia Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Not as blind as he appeared in Legends.

SWpants and kalzeth like this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    You can read a digital book sample through the Apple device iBooks app and going to their store through that.

3. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    So...
    What is Leia's first love's name?

4. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Kier. I actually really liked his character and liked that Claudia Grey made a point of making him completely different than Han. Lesser authors would have just made him a Han clone to make it seem like Leia had a "type".

KSennia, Genuine Class, MikeF and 3 others like this.
  5. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Whaaaaat?! I'm only a few minutes in the audiobook, must keep going.

6. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    What a fantastic novel. I knew Claudia Gray would not disappoint. This is the book Leia has deserved for years. Between this and Bloodline, I'd say Gray has to be the go-to author for any future Leia books.

Massive spoilers follow:

The relationship between Leia, Breha, and Bail was wonderfully complicated. I love that Breha was the more aggressive and militant of the pair. She did mentor Evaan after all. Breha was fascinating. The revelation about her being a cyborg was really neat.

Great use of Panaka. I can only imagine what sort of things were going through his head. I'm torn on how to feel about his death: he likely was about to report to Palpatine what he discovered, but he could have changed his mind. Saw really messed up here. Not only did he kill what was likely the most moral Moff in the Empire and a potential ally for the Rebellion, he ruined any chance of actually helping the miners.

I was not expecting Amilyn Holdo to be the SW counterpart of Luna Lovegood, but I'm 100% here for that. Such a fantastic character. Although I thought it was rumored she would be something of an adversary to Leia in TLJ, I'm a bit confused since the two get along so well here and Amilyn probably joined the Rebellion not long after. I don't see what could ever come between the two after this...

7. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Claudia Gray manages to recover another name from Legends:

The Rivoche Ranges, from Eriadu, is a reference to Rivoche Tarkin, niece to Grand Moff Tarkin. She was a minor character created for the roleplaying game, which I suspect also was the basis for the name of Garoche Tarkin, Wilhuff's son in Darth Vader and the Last Command.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  8. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Really cool to learn that Imperial Panaka has been recanonized. I was already hyped for this book but this has me even more hyped.

9. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    This book really fascinated me. It did remind me of Bloodline in that it really was another political thriller. I was surprised in how much of Amilyn Holdo we got in this book? She was definitely a strnage character at first take, but I really grew to enjoy her character. Nice to learn that she was from Gatalenta.

Genuine Class likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Finished this book. Guys, I loved it. Claudia Gray has done it again. She handled Leia and Alderaan with deft care and astute portrayal. She gets it. She really does.

-- Bail and Breha were perfect. Their relationship. Their politics. All of it with Leia. Gray really made Breha come to life. I can't possibly do justice to how well she got them.

-- lots of Coruscant stuff, including a delightful Coruscanti aristocrat. Gray does this every time, and I love it. It's like she knows my favorite things.

-- Speaking of favorite things. Fashion. Protocol. Parties. An etiquette droid that might be my best friend.

-- MOFF PANAKA. New queen of Naboo. That whole sequence was perfect.

-- everyone has been calling AMILYN Holdo the SW Luna Lovegood and that's exactly right. She's a delight and I'm glad that we got to get to know her. So looking forward to her and Leia in TLJ.

So good. So so good.

Off to read Phasma now....

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Hypatia, Genuine Class, Ghost and 9 others like this.
  11. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    So,

Saw Gerrera and the Partisans killed Panaka. Hence why we don't see him after the Prequel Era.:(

12. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    What I really want to know if the book will let me understand the binary language of moisture vaporators.

Actually, I want to know if the book contradict the EU much and whether buying the book Claudia Gray get royalties or did Disney contract her for a specific amount and no matter how many copies get sold, Gray won't get more food on her table?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, I was right, this is a book that just demands to be read, even though you know it'll be a shame when it's over.

In the way it brings Alderaan to life, it renders the act of its destruction so much more vicious. Previously there was the Alderaan section of the Illustrated Star Wars Universe that KJA did years back, which used much McQuarrie art, but I don't think any story before has covered Alderaan in the way this did. It was superb and that last line of the book will emotionally wreck everyone who reads it.

The way the new material has woven in the Clone Wars and their impact remains one of my favourite aspects of it. It explains Bail's reluctance to invoke war even as he knows the necessity of it. The book set up some very hard moral decisions and it didn't flinch from following through on them.

I don't think any story has shown us as much of Leia's adoptive mother Breha as this and what we get is excellent. The relationship between her and Bail is perfectly depicted.

The weaving of both Panaka, as a Moff, and his fate at the hands of the Partisans, was well done, as was the use of Star Wars's perpetual arse Tarkin.

This is such a smart, smart book. You're not going to read it because it's YA? Don't be dumb, ignore that and enjoy an excellent new addition.

Vthuil, ShaneP, Sinrebirth and 3 others like this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the PANAKA stuff was so bittersweet. It was great to see him and he seemed to be one of the better moffs, and to suffer that fate...

Though Saw may have also saved the Rebellion that day too.

The politics were really well done. Leia's personality, her thoughts on the Empire and fighting it. Alderaan and it's role in things. Breha and Bail and their different but complementary personalities. The Senate. All of it. So good.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

KSennia, Vthuil, ShaneP and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
  16. kalzeth

kalzeth Jedi Master star 3

Aug 26, 2017
    Curious for anyone who has played SWTOR if pieces of that alderaan culture/ planet come through

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Wasn't this a program designed to increase productivity by improving work conditions, and including a benefits scheme such as work sponsoring cinema tickets and the like for people who would not ordinarily be able to afford such things...?

JediBatman and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That matches everything I've found, I can well believe the phrase would have been grabbed by Goebbels and co but I'd be inclined to view this as an honest oversight / error rather than anything more.

19. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Claudia Gray already apologized for using that phrase. She said she didn't know that it was used in the Third Reich.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

JediBatman likes this.
  20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

And honestly, is this something to get upset over? I mean, there are unfortunate implications if someone knows that that is a Third Reich-related phrase, sure, but how many people even know that? I certainly didn't, until this controversy. And even for people who do know, do they honestly think that Leia is identifying with Nazism? This phrase is one that actually sounds good, so it's unfortunate that it has ties to Nazism, but surely no one actually thought Claudia Gray was implying Leia is a Nazi. I'm of two minds on this, because on the one hand since it wasn't intentional I don't think it should cause a fuss, but on the other hand I know in our political environment it's important to be very careful what is even implied in writing.

KSennia, Ghost, Mia Mesharad and 4 others like this.
  21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It was completely not intentional, and reading the phrase in context makes it clear it's the literal opposite of Leia being pro-Nazi.

Should it be changed in a re-printing? Absolutely. But nobody should've ever thought that it was possibly intentional.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

22. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Obviously its an unfortunate coincidence, but editing it out in future editions? It just seems silly to me, like it's admitting that Nazis have a copyright on the arrangement of 3 little words. Like because 84 years ago some genocidal ***hats decided to call a tourist program "Strength through joy", we can't use those words regardless of context? Don't get me wrong, I understand why they're doing it, but it just seems like what TvTropes calls "Hitler Ate Sugar". "Hitler was bad. Hitler liked dogs. Therefore liking dogs is bad."

After all I don't see anyone petitioning that the throne room scene of ANH be removed for being too similar to Triumph of the Will.

KSennia, Ghost, Revanfan1 and 4 others like this.
  23. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Definite agreement with JB. It doesn't need removing.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    A reader would have to do an awful lot of work and decide to twist the narrative to even make the link.

Sinrebirth , Revanfan1 and JediBatman like this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Holdo being a Luna Lovegood-type of character, and her and Leia getting along so well, makes me wonder how she ends up apparently becoming antagonistic towards Leia in TLJ. Because Luna was many things, antagonistic wasn't one of them.

KSennia and GrandAdmiralJello like this.