main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Benicio del Toro (DJ) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Leoluca Randisi, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    welllll i never would have guessed that.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    So I may have been right about DJ being a hacker name?!?

I like the translation: don't join :)

oncafar likes this.
  4. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    he doesn't like sharing chat rooms

and he's a complete rogue? a man unto himself. in it only for himself.

5. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    D'an and 11-4D like this.
  6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
  7. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Rather intriguing message. I'm still thinking he may turn out to be Ducain. Being a hacker, he could easily re-program the Falcon to ditch Han and Chewie.

D'an likes this.
  8. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
  9. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    the people of canto bight want to be rich elites apart from it all? let the galaxy have its powers conflicts, no matter to them?

luke has withdrawn from the conflict. he isn't participating. just be with the force. let it be.

finn apparently still wants to run at the beginning of TLJ. just escape the conflict, don't get further involved.

han solo began this way himself--only in it for himself.

maybe don't join is a theme.

ofc that doesn't answer why DJ wears the phrase on his lego head. it must mean something specific to his character.

10. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Maybe his character is metaphorical to how the balancing of the force will take place. Don't join the fight don't take sides the force will make things right...the Jedi must end type stuff.....

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Could he still be Ransolm Casterfo though?

12. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
  13. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Hmm...
    [​IMG]

Master_Lok and Gigoran Monk like this.
  14. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    The hat signage may just be a fashionable touch. He's a fan of the GFFA's Vivienne Westwood.

Master_Lok likes this.
  15. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    We never get much pop culture in the films, perhaps "Don't Join" is a popular brand in the GFFA.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  16. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Maybe it's a galactic meme and DJ is their equvilent of these guys?
    [​IMG]

17. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think it clearly refers to his valueless independence from all galactic political factions. He's a loner and he looks out for himself. The Resistance will give him a personal reason to help them in TLJ. Whether it's money or something else. I can guarantee that.

Han Drolo, Revanfan1, CEB and 2 others like this.
  18. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    =D=^:)^=D=

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't Join...the JCF if you value your free time.

TK327 and Artoo-Dion like this.
  20. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
  21. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    Maybe he just has something against carpenters...

Gigoran Monk and CrazyOldJedi like this.
  22. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Drunk Jerk

Darth Smurf likes this.
  23. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    part of me wonders if the character of cardinal from the phasma novels = D.J.

my reasoning (including problems with this idea):
    - holdo's character is in the leia novel. both of these characters are new, and there's symmetry if one is covered in one of the new books, and the other in the other new book.

- i am horrible at factoids and have already forgotten cardinal's physical appearance but i don't recall it contradicting someone with dark eyes and hair.

- cardinal seems kind of worn down and from that one image DJ looks kind of worn down. cardinal has had a hard life and if he escaped the FO (as seems quite possible) he would have a lot of regrets.

- DJ supposedly is kind of shady and dangerous seeming and cardinal is capable of torturing people, and he was one of brendol hux's jakku kids who we saw in aftermath were quite nasty. so yeah, he has a dangerous edge. he also has a temper and several times had to work hard to keep himself from roughing vi up because he was angry.

- although there is nothing to suggest cardinal is a slicer, he was a high ranking FO officer and might have an edge in hacking them. one issue is that the resistance in the phasma novel already was excellent at hacking the FO, so i am not sure what unique thing cardinal could possible offer.

- cardinal has had many names and may have abandoned them all such that now he is a man with no name. since he had a huge crisis of faith, it may have changed his concept of his own identity. his face is always the same but his names differ. this is the opposite of phasma who has always kept the same name, but sometimes people are shocked to see her true face. she becomes the mask she wears in image and people may be deceived.

- cardinal is possibly too young to be DJ as i think this would make him younger than leia rather than her peer? however, they used the harshness of tatooine to explain why obi-wan looked older than his supposed age didn't they? DJ came from harsh jakku and had a terrible life--he may appear older than he is.

- if DJ is cardinal he is not a man only out for himself. he has to believe he's doing something that is right. as a poor kid from jakku, he would like to make things better for people who come from circumstances like the ones he came from. this means he is unlikely to betray the resistance for the FO *unless* he has another crisis of faith. he can easily fall into his training (what he has been brainwashed for), so that is a factor. also if vi succeeded in saving him from the FO, that was in a way a choice made for him. his break was with phasma and the leadership, not necessarily the entire FO. he could still believe in the ideals he thought he was following. this could make him a man in-between. he is called "don't join." don't join the resistance? it's possible that he cannot fully embrace the ideals of the resistance and can only ally to defeat a greater evil. as he told vi, they may agree about phasma, but they are still enemies. they will be less enemies after she saves his life (or perhaps not enemies at all)--but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll suddenly be aligned in everything.

- cardinal parallels kylo ren in some ways it seems. but i would need to watch TLJ to be sure.

there's probably some statement that ruins this entire idea. a small paragraph about how DJ is an opportunist only out for himself would wreck the whole thing lol.

24. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I doubt it, though I still havent read the Phasma novel. He seems like the type to not betray the First Order, even if pressured by rivals from the inside.

[​IMG]

25. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    saw gerrera looks quite different between RO and SW rebels, but they are the same person. so i am not sure using an illustration is going to clear anything up. dark eyes and hair is what is most important in this case, imo.