main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Kenobi : Ewan McGregor in potential Kenobi movie OR series

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Plus they can use the same actors who played Owen and Beru too.

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    ANH, RO and ROTS all established that Bail had knowledge of Obi-Wan and the nature of his exile.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    He lives in a sandstone hut with a sandy-coloured sand lizard that he has named Sandy.. Sandy sometimes eats Ben's sandwiches. Anakin does not like sand, Ben likes Sandy, Sandy likes sandwiches.

ZY-Fighter, GregMcP and Gigoran Monk like this.
  4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Rian Johnson's official announcement was weird. He was openly talking about it shortly after the trades reported on it, but it wasn't officially announced until almost a year later at the 2015 Disney investor's meeting and simultaneously shoved into the story that Edwards' film would be titled Rogue One and star Felicity Jones, almost like an afterthought. "Oh, yeah, and also this guy is doing Episode VIII but you know that already or something so whatever."

Krueger likes this.
  5. Do you guys think we'll see something like this in the Obi-Wan movie?
    [​IMG]

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Not really. I don't see there being a lightsaber duel in the film - and I'm pretty sure A'Sharad Hett won't appear. :p
    But then, I could be wrong. Maybe Mace Windu is still alive, now crazy, and wants to kill the child of Skywalker and Ben needs to stop him or something. It's interesting with this film - we really have no idea where they're going with it. It could be an over the top action film, it could be a slow-burn western, and it could be a spiritual character study.

7. Dominick1216

Dominick1216 Jedi Master star 1

Feb 23, 2013
    What are the chances of Vader appearing in some capacity? lol

8. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I agree with pretty much all of this. Except for the part about sandwiches.

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This film needs to be a shot-for-shot remake of Gandhi with Kenobi inserted into the title role. It should also be keep its original 31/2 hour runtime.

ZY-Fighter and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    With de-aging technology continually getting better, I'm hoping there's some flashback scenes of his younger days. Would mean the return of some PT characters, Anakin and Yoda the most likely. Would also be a good way to have "action" in the movie as they could show a battle or two he was involved with during the clone wars.

Action is probably the biggest challenge for the movie right now. Would many people see a star wars movie with little to no action? Or maybe the amount of action is decent but the scale is way down.

I just don't see that interesting a story coming from him just being on tatooine the whole movie. Flashbacks are a must I think.

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually, it wasn't ignoring the purpose (see my other posts in this thread), I just don't agree that such a story is a good idea in the given situation. I've said multiple times in this thread that they COULD possibly make a good movie out of it (so why the "schooling" about something I already acknowledged?)), I simply think they could make a BETTER movie another way than 100 desert goons attacking him on a loathsome sand planet. I think they can do better.

OK, now see the above response (and multiple other posts of mine in this thread).

Yes, none that were "new" in the sense I was talking about though.

I really hope TLJ is going to be further away from the OT (although this is still a saga film, so not really what I was getting at)., at least more than the movies so far. I don't have much hope for Obi-Wan not hugging the OT; that's pretty much a foregone conclusion IMO.

I'll have to admit you called this a long time ago- that they were just going to continue with the stories around familiar OT characters. I just pray it doesn't go on TOO much longer, at least in not giving us SOMETHING not tied so tightly to the OT (Rebels, Obi, Han, TFA). It will suck if thewy are still doing this 10 years from now.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  12. Montross95

Montross95 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2017
    Hopefully we get a duel between Obi-Wan and Vader between ROTS and ANH.

13. -Phoenix-

-Phoenix- Jedi Master star 5

Oct 21, 2005
    Ooh I have to say I really don't want that. I think it would suck a lot of the impact out of their eventual Death Star meeting. Yes, one or two lines of dialogue can be bent and twisted to try and justify another meeting on a technicality, but I think most of it (Now I am the master, etc.) pretty clearly indicates that they haven't seen each other in the interim.

14. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I would say that all this means is that is their first face to face meeting since Mustafar.

So the obvious way around it is to have them know the other is out there and is close but not actually meet. Not unlike Anakin and Grievous who only met face to face for the first time in ROTS. TCW could never have them battle each other because of this.

Then there is the line about not feeling this presence since...

That is more vague so it might mean Mustafar or another time since.

15. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005
    But it should really only mean Mustafar. There is zero point to having them "come close" to each other if they aren't going to meet, and they really shouldn't meet. Obi-Wan is obviously aware of Vader's existence and identity. He is a public figure. Vader knows Obi-Wan is probably still alive out there somewhere. But he definitely has no idea where, because if he did, there would be no way he wouldn't hunt him down instantly. There is just zero benefit to having another confrontation between the two.

16. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014

Completely agree.

Vasco_Rojo and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Hm, I think this will only happen when the franchise runs out of steam sometime down the road. It is then that they'll look for new strategies to earn more profits and may take the risk of a more daring project set far in the past or future of the SW universe or some other novel scenario. If it takes five or ten years to reach that point, who knows? Right now they have little reason to move away from the OT because the movies, which are all very OT-centric, are doing so well. Trailers suggest that TLJ will be filled with OT-elements as well. Obi will probably also battle the Empire in some form, because that's what seems to sell at the moment. Even I am starting to grow a bit tired of Space Nazis, even though I'm an OT-fan.

18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Agreed. I'm all for Vader appearing in more Rebels episodes and the Han Solo film, but I don't think it works here at all. At the very most, Ben could hear Vader's name on television or at the cantina. Or he has a nightmare or flashback about him. But that's it. I think it's important that ANH remains the first encounter between the two since ROTS.

Rickleo123 and TCF-1138 like this.
  19. Count Zero

Count Zero Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2014
    Vader should not be in any Kenobi Star Wars story. It would be a continuity nightmare on the level of "So was I when you first trained me" "Um, Trained by Qui-Gon, you were. Senile, you are."

11-4D, ZY-Fighter and Vasco_Rojo like this.
  20. -Phoenix-

Oct 21, 2005

Funnily enough, I have two "appearances" just like that in my Kenobi script. One is sort of dream-sequence-ish, and the other is a little more like Luke's trial in the cave on Dagobah. They kind of represent Obi-Wan's guilt over losing Anakin, something he has to learn to live with over the course of the film.
    But that's the only way I think it would be acceptable for Vader to appear.

themoth likes this.
  21. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    In terms of location I do think Tatonnie is somewhere that could easily support an entire film. Besides its existing diversity its frontier lawless nature also makes it naturally a location where you could introduce a lot of new characters/designs from gangsters/bounty hunters/smugglers/etc.

Shooting location wise as well maybe try the Colorado plateau in the US? some very interesting landforms there like Byrce Canyon.

22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Cheaper to film in Jordan and/or Morocco.

23. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah they could shoot some plates in the U.S. red rock areas for later vfx use as backgrounds but it would be markedly more expensive to have main unit in the states rather than shooting overseas in Africa.
    That was sort of the MO for Star Wars where most of the main unit shot in Tunisia while some other stuff was in the Mojave(like the miniature Sandcrawler shot).

24. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Isn't Yoda involved in every Padawan's training at some point? Doesn't seem like some continuity nightmare.

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  25. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes he trains the younglings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.