main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Leia Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Apr 14, 2017.

1. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Jello edit: Please use spoiler tags for character reveals like that.

2. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

You're not admin remember.

3. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015

That's not what his post said before, I'm pretty sure Jello invoked mod privileges to edit it.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    That was my edit, not Mu's post. Sometimes the board software is glitchy and doesn't give a "last edited by." I'll clarify the edit.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Noash_Retrac

Noash_Retrac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2006

Okay.

6. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Both Leia and Holdo were part of the Senate Apprentice Program, that is how they met. The program was started roughly 3 years before the Rebellion. Holdo more or less became an active Rebellion member by accident more or less.

7. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    So, we've learned a few things about the Alderaanian monarchy:
    • As in Legends, there ruling monarch can be male or female (it's not a female-only monarchy as some speculated);
    • it's implied that Viceroy is the title held by the Prince Consort, whose role is to take charge of Alderaan's dealings with the galaxy at large;
    • the heir to the crown is the eldest child of the ruling monarch, whether he/she is a biological child or an adopted one;
    • after making his or her claim upon turning sixteen, the heir apparent must succeed in three self-imposed challenges to earn his or her right to the crown.
    Things we still don't know:
    • Are there ministers?
    • is there a parliament of some sort?
    • is Organa Bail's surname or that of Breha?
    • Bail is "First Chairman", but what does that mean?
    • the book mentions "lords", but who are they?

KSennia likes this.
  8. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Ok finished it... it's a fantastic book and I loved all the references and clever use of previously established things from her own Bloodline novel. I'm still not sure what was the "young adult" part of the book, I loved absolutely every part of it.

One question came to mind though,
    Do you think that the Academy ball mentioned in the novel, is one different than the one mentioned in "Lost Stars"?

9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

I'm not into Harry Potter either and the comparison I came up with in my head after reading this was Effie Trinket.

Genuine Class likes this.
  10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I get the impression Bail Organa is both the head of Parliament as well as Viceroy as well as Senator.

Which seems a bit front loaded but given Alderaan is peaceful, I don't think he probably has much to do planet-wise.

Between he and Breha, the Alderaan Royal Family have a lock on local power.

11. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Well at some point Leia takes his place in the Senate. And it's within the next 2-3 years (since she's 16 in the book, but 19/20 in ANH).

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it might be different, for two reasons:

-- she wasn't junior senator yet and I think that's what LS called her

-- she didn't have time to dance with anyone else

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it might be different, for two reasons:

-- she wasn't junior senator yet and I think that's what LS called her

-- she didn't have time to dance with anyone else

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  14. coervus

coervus Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 31, 2017
    Fantastic book. Man, but Claudia Gray makes this look easy.

It's wonderful and agonizing to see how large Bail and Breha loom in Leia's life, how much she depends on and misses them even when they're practically right there. Her loss a few years down the road seems unimaginable. I think Gray did well to imagine a way for Leia to suspend her emotions and shock in a "crystalline" state, as this goes toward explaining why we didn't see her just falling apart in ANH.

A lingering question, perhaps trivial, but how does seniority work in the Imperial Senate? Because ch. 6 describes Winmey Lenz as senior senator of Chandrila, but then in ch. 15 Mon Mothma is also introduced as the senior senator from Chandrila. I assumed that, similar to the U.S. Senate, each world was represented by a junior and senior senator.

I also think Tarkin's speech is an interesting contrast to Mon Mothma's statement on Leia's behalf after that dinner party he crashed. Mothma affirms Leia's involvement because of her youth: "They’re the ones who’ll do most of the fighting and most of the dying... We need the young with us." In some ways it's the same message--young people are the future and we need them on our side--but for Mothma it's more a moral imperative that they be involved in their own future, whereas Tarkin speaks of it in terms of patronage and culling out the best from an early age.

Hypatia, KSennia, oncafar and 3 others like this.
  15. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    By the way, can we just talk about how much of a gut punch that last line is? HOW RUDE CLAUDIA GRAY.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm sure everything will be fine....

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

KerkKorpil likes this.
  17. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Claudia Gray confirmed at Dragon Con that Amilyn was deliberately coded as queer.

KSennia and Genuine Class like this.
  18. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Sorry, double post.

19. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    ???
    So....
    maybe she (Holdo) made a pass at Leia? which was rebuffed.

There goes my Luke/Holdo 'ship. It is now sunk.

20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Wait... does that make her the first confirmed LGBT+ character who appears in the films? That's pretty awesome.

21. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    That's the assumption! Here's hoping there's actually an allusion to it in the film (reference to a past/current wife) or something.

KSennia and The_Forgotten_Jedi like this.
  22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Bisexual people exist.

23. DARTH_MU

Feb 9, 2005
    so do straight people.

It would explain a little bit their falling out. I'm not saying it's going to be the main reason, maybe 10 percent?

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    :rolleyes:
    I seriously doubt that the first gay character they have in the films is going to have her friendship with Leia tested because she tried to hit on her.

KSennia, Daneira and Darth_Duck like this.
  25. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    I'm definitely not sure that would be a reason for a falling out. I wouldn't be all that surprised if Holdo and Leia are not running a vetting game? Perhaps they know they have a traitor in their midst and this is a way of discovering who it could be?.

KSennia likes this.
  26. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Can anyone who's listened to the audiobook confirm how Amilyn is pronounced? I'd hate to get accustomed to my pronunciation from reading the book and then have the rug pulled out from under me in December.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corellian Blue likes this.