main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I never liked Riker either. He usually came across as unjustifiably full of himself, IMO. The way Frakes played him seemed forced and unnatural. But he did have a couple of good episodes; his time serving on the Klingon ship was a highlight. He was all right in BoBW and Pegasus too, and his DS9 episode was decent. But I generally don't have any interest in rewatching most Riker episodes.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I liked Riker. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, he was clearly intended to be TNG's Kirk figure, but overall, I never had an issue with Jonathan Frakes' performance as Riker.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Q: "You're so stolid, Riker. You weren't like that before the beard."

:D

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Also, she's Worf's therapist... it works with Riker because of the previous relationship, but it's totally ****** up otherwise...

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    She's also his friend and they've lived on the same ship for many years. I don't think it's out of the realm of possiblity that they wanted to explore if there was something more and then maturely (because this is TNG we're talking about) walked away when they figured out there wasn't.

At least they shared far more friendly scenes in leading into things than Chakotay/7.

Sarge likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So I'm replaying the Assassins Creed series, and I'm currently on III. The voice of William Miles (Desmond's dad) is John DeLanci. Um, that's all.

BigAl6ft6 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, because Seven/Chakotay was just LOLwhat? Voyager didn't really need another romantic subplot since it already had two, or one and a half at any rate in Kes/Neelix and Tom/B'elanna

9. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    I was watching Scorpion Part II, and Seven of Nine mentioned that she was assimilated 18 years prior to that episode. I don't have the exact dates with me, but that would imply that some in the Federation/Starfleet knew about the Borg before Q flung the Enterprise in "Q Who."

Does that go back to the fact about the Borg's presence in First Contact and Enterprise?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Seven of Nine's history makes no sense given that yes, the Fedration's first known encounter with the Borg was in "Q Who?" There are convoluted, unsatisfying explanations for how and why the Hansens went to study the Borg, but the simple answer is that the writers ****ed up.

Sarge and Juliet316 like this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Is there a species that's more intimidating than the Borg? That makes the Borg feel threatened? Asking for a friend who's writing a sequel series...

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    At the age of four, her parents were given the USS Raven by Starfleet to help them investigate the presence of an unknown species in deep space. This trip lasted for three years during which time they encountered the Borg and using a transwarp conduit, followed a cube to the Delta Quadrant. Annika's father developed technology to allow the ship to remain undetected by the aliens, and even to allow them to board the Borg vessel. But after an ion storm struck the vessel, the Borg detected the family and assimilated them.[25]

Now why they weren't communicating with Starfleet, I assume can be explained by the distance.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Spieces 8472

14. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Hmm, so I keep hearing other people say that his voice is instantly recognizable in MLP:FiM, but when I hear his character speak I'm not really picking it up.

15. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's way, way more recognizable in Planescape:Torment...

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Really? Discord, for all intents and purposes, is Q in a different form and yes his voice is instantly recognizable.

17. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Also, as a heads-up since it's of Trek interest, Orville premieres sunday.

I guess it's just that they spent so much time showing/saying there wasn't anything between them anymore beyond the close-friends/Imzadi thing, that to suddenly flip the switch back on didn't work for me (and being introduced in Insurrection didn't help any ;)).

Now, if it had been Thomas Riker? Different situation.

18. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    By then, Thomas would have been a little busy...being a prisoner of the Cardassians for his role in the Maquis. ;)

TX-20 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Details. ;)

TX-20 and PCCViking like this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Kinda sucked that DS9 never resolved that. Presumably he was murdered by the Dominion same as all the other Maquis.

Yes, yes, I know there's something about him in the non-canon relaunch novels or whatever.

Sarge likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    His death isn't a certainty- for all we know the cleansing of the Marquis wasn't enacted upon existing prison camps, only forces in the wild. Plenty of space for him to slip through the cracks.

Could actually make for a good post-Nemesis story. Thomas escaping prison or being rescued 20+ years later. Especially if it was by the Titan and Riker.

Man could be very bitter about losing yet another long stretch of his life- and to find the previously single Troi married Riker after all would be salt on the wound.

TX-20, PCCViking and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  22. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I like that idea. That sounds like a great premise for a Star Trek novel.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Then Will and Thomas have to team up against their mirror versions.

TX-20 and Sarge like this.
  24. slidewhistle

slidewhistle Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 24, 2015
    at the denevan trombone throwdown
    where the baddest bones with the sickest tones
    delight your ears every four earth years
    when they meet up for a showdown

PCCViking, Diggy and Sarge like this.
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    TX-20, Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.