main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indy 5 Indiana Jones & The Dial of Destiny All Aboard the Hype Train to June 2023!

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by choccy, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
    Yep he's studying. Bad Junior.

Gobi-1 likes this.
  2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Personally I'd love to see Short Round return. He could be an adventurer in his own right.

MrMojoRisin likes this.
  3. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013

Apart from the fact that I love the character of Short Round, this could also be the perfect springboard to launch the franchise in a new direction, and one that could potentially increase box-office yields, which Disney would be interested in. Cast a young Chinese or Chinese-American actor as an adult Short Round as Harrison Ford's sidekick in Indy V, and then he could later be the star of a new set of films. This would help bolster the international box-office of Indy V in China, as well as create a potential franchise that would be popular not only in the United States, and elsewhere, but also in the increasingly important Chinese market.

This could also help break down Hollywood barriers by having a Chinese, or Chinese-American, star in a high profile franchise.

4. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I'm not sure if getting a chinese actor would really help all that much with the box office in China. Rogue One had two pretty big chinese stars, and it didn't deliver anything special in terms of box office. While the drop from TFA to Rogue One wasn't any bigger than elsewhere, it also wasn't lower, and the franchise is basically just a third-tier in China. I don't think that Indiana Jones is particularly well known in China either. Unless I missed something, none of them ever got released there in the first place, not even the fourth one. And while Indy is hardly a series that has a continuous storyline, there is still a bit of lore that people need to know about to understand everything. This means Indy V will start in a bad spot due to a general lack of knowledge about the franchise. It isn't exactly the type of movie that seems to have lots of success in China either.

5. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    For some reason I could see the dude who played Glenn in The Walking Dead playing an adult short round

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Rather than trying to please certain markets, races or whatever just concentrate on making a damn good Indy movie and get back to what made it so special because this is likely to be Harrisons swansong in the role.

7. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    http://ew.com/movies/2017/09/04/indiana-jones-5-shia-labeouf-not-returning/

Indiana Jones 5 won't feature Shia LaBeouf's character

‘We’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with,’ screenwriter David Koepp tells EW
    Joey Nolfi@joeynolfi
    Posted on September 4, 2017 at 8:00am EDT

Will an Indiana Jones protege soon snatch the iconic wide-brimmed fedora from atop Harrison Ford’s head? Perhaps, but it won’t be Mutt Williams — a.k.a. Indy’s son, Henry Jones III — the character Shia LaBeouf played in 2008’s Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

“Harrison plays Indiana Jones, that I can certainly say,” screenwriter David Koepp, who has penned a script for the fifth film in the storied Indiana Jones franchise, tells EW. “And the Shia LaBeouf character is not in the film.”
    Koepp’s confirmation follows wide speculation that Ford, who originated the role of the globetrotting adventurer in 1981’s Raiders of the Lost Ark, would eventually abdicate his throne to a younger actor as the series progressed under Steven Spielberg’s direction. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull‘s ending even teased LaBeouf’s character’s potential future in the series, with a closing scene that saw the iconic headpiece ride a breeze and land at the Even Stevens actor’s feet, before Ford swooped in to grab it out of his hands and place it back on his own head.

While Mutt won’t be embarking on any perilous journeys alongside his father any time soon, Koepp says he and Spielberg are largely satisfied with the current version of the screenplay, and production could begin in the near future.
    “We’re plugging away at it. In terms of when we would start, I think that’s up to Mr. Spielberg and Mr. Ford,” he continues, playfully teasing that the plot will involve “some precious artifact that they’re all looking for” throughout the film. “I know we’ve got a script we’re mostly happy with. Work will be endless, of course, and ongoing, and Steven just finished shooting The Post …. If the stars align, hopefully it’ll be his next film.”
    After appearing in Crystal Skull, LaBeouf, whose representatives did not return EW’s request for comment, criticized the production in a 2010 interview with the Los Angeles Times. He told the paper he felt as if he “dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished,” and that Ford wasn’t happy with the film either. Ford later responded by calling his costar a “f—g idiot” for his comments.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I have a feeling that whatever comes out of this will make me appreciate Crystal Skull even more.

Darthman92 likes this.
  9. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    What's exciting is that it could be Spielberg's next film. Even though it's not schedule for release until 2020 I hope they go ahead and film now and get it in the can. Who knows maybe they'll bump the release up to 2019 if it's done in time. Regardless I don't mind waiting longer for the film if I know they've got it shot.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  10. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    KOTCS is my least favorite in the franchise, but it's still a guilty pleasure of mine in a 50s B movie kind of way. It's pretty fun and harmless when you approach it from that perspective. I don't really hate it like some do, even though I was disappointed.

Leoluca Randisi likes this.
  11. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

I think Disney hit two grand slams out of the park with TFA and RO! and TLJ and Han Solo look excellent so I think Disney will do right by Indiana Jones! I love how Disney isn't over doing it with the CGI and using a lot of Neil Scanlon puppets and Animatronics and real location shooting and realistic looking sets and mixing it with CGI In a way you cant tell what's CGI and what's Practical. I am encouraged that Koepp has finished the script and hopes Indy 5 Is Spielberg's next film he shoots!

on a side note Neil Scanlon was hired to do the Animatronics in Jurassic World II I am super excited for that!

12. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So, exactly what has been done in the previous movies...?

Gobi-1 likes this.
  13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Rumours circulating in the movie press today that David Koepp has said no Mutt for Indy V.

14. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yes, and that's a good thing.

AndyLGR likes this.
  15. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Can't say I'm surprised he won't be coming back. Dude has practically thrown his career away.

What an optimistic thing to say for a movie that we know next to nothing about!

16. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014
    I loved The Prequels but In retrospect George could have toned down the CGI although it was revolutionary and modern film making was changed for the better. my favorite prequel was TPM I loved Qui Gon Jinn, JAR- JAR Binks, the scenes on Tatooine and the pod race. one of my favorite parts was the part when Qui Gon Jinn, had the talk with Anakin at his home under the star lit sky! I also really liked Episode 2 but Episode 3 not so much probably because of how dark it was.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Why?

18. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I said I loved them.

19. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    There's more CGI in The Force Awakens than in The Phantom Menace. There's more models and miniatures used in The Phantom Menace than in the entire original trilogy.

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...e-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

There's more to the prequels than the CGI. It was talked about more at the time because it was new and revolutionary but CGI effects were used in addition to and to work with all the practical effects Lucas and ILM used and have always used.

Now in regards to Indiana Jones they were never CGI heavy films until Indy 4 and that was more to do with how films are made now vs how they were made twenty years earlier. Indy 5 will probably have just as much CGI. It's just the way films are made.

Alexrd likes this.
  20. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

I disagree that there was more CGI in TFA there was also way more on Location Shooting in TFA and RO and Neil Scanlon where was Neil Scanlon in the Prequels? meaning where was the Animatronics In the prequels?

21. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    http://www.slashfilm.com/force-awakens-visual-effects/

The Force Awakens having more CGI than the Phantom Menace is a fact not an opinion. 2100 hundred visual effects shots in TFA vs 1900 for The Phantom Menace. As for the animatronics. They were were heavily used in the prequels for various creatures, aliens and droids.

For Kingdom of the Crystal Skull ILM produced 560 CGI effects shots which was more than originally anticipated.
    https://www.awn.com/vfxworld/theres-more-cg-meets-eye-latest-indiana-jones
    http://www.postmagazine.com/Publica...FFECTS-INDIANA-JONES-AND-THE-KINGDOM-OF-.aspx

Where Indy suffers is that a lot of the effects only feel about 80 or 90%. I attribute that to the short production schedule and the film being digitally color timed instead of chemically done. Another six months of post and the effects and the overall look of the film would be more polished. I'm hoping Indy 5 is Speilberg's next film and if they shoot in 2018 that gives them at least 18 months for post work. Plenty of time to fine tune the film.

[face_dancing]

darkspine10 likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's irrelevant to my question.

Facts are not up to disagreement. They are what they are.

23. Leoluca Randisi

Jun 24, 2014

Whatever we could argue this till the cows come home Its really not worth it.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My point is that facts are not up to debate. And Gobi-1 presented facts. To argue against facts is indeed pointless. They don't change.

25. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    To quote Prof. Jones himself "Archeology is the search for fact, not truth. If it's truth you're interested in, Dr. Tyree's Philosophy class is right down the hall."

[​IMG]

Now back to Indy 5. Do you think Indy will be seen teaching again? Raiders, Crusade, and Skull featured Indy teaching class but Temple of Doom did not. Will they break away from the formula again?

Personally I'd like to see Indy in the academic setting again but he is about to retire. He was promoted to Associate Dean at the end of Crystal Skull so maybe he's the Dean now. Might be a fun twist to have Indy himself be the one walking down a hall and entering the classroom like Marcus Brody or Charles Stanforth. You could use the scene to introduce a new character who's either a fellow professor working at Marshall College or a student in the class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SilentGuy66 likes this.