main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    A Leader Named Leia, Illustration by Brian Rood

[​IMG]

2. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Apparently Claudia confirmed at Dragoncon that Holdo was coded to be LGBT. I wonder if we'll get some hint/nod to that in TLJ?

3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    You wouldn't believe how that blew up the book thread, well, maybe you would. ;)

Daneira likes this.
  4. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    Checks rating. TFA = PG-13

Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. Parents are urged to be cautious. Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers.
    Parents Strongly Cautioned – some material may be inappropriate for children under 13
    Nudity

Nudity is restricted to PG and above, and anything that constitutes more than brief nudity will require at least a PG-13 rating. Nudity that is sexually oriented will generally require an R rating.[2] As of 2010, the MPAA has added a descriptor of "male nudity" to films featuring said content.[40]
    Sexual content

The MPAA does not have any explicit criteria for sexual content other than excluding sex scenes from G rated films.[2]

5. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001

Yeah, I got that impression when she told Leia she didn't limit herself to humanoid males LOL.

I dunno what the comment above is referring to, but why the hell would a GLBTQ character make a movie be PG-13?

Also, Claudia confirmed that LFL didn't want Han at all to be in Bloodline but she insisted he be written in because Han would never not be around or in touch with Leia when she was going through such a trying time. Makes me a bit nervous that LFL has it in their canon that Han and Leia's marriage drifted apart after they sent Ben to Luke. Thank God we got Claudia Gray to write the first book of their marriage is all I'll say!

6. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
  7. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, you're just being a troll. Ignore.

Loth-cat, Daneira, Outsourced and 2 others like this.
  8. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I hope they will show some nod but I don't know when it was decided and if it was just Claudia's idea. But if it was decided during TLJ production, I can see they doing like Sulu in the new ST (a mention of a wife or showing her).

In the new Power Ranger a character said something like "For now I don't want any boyfriend or girlfriend" (I don't remember the quote exactly).

9. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    It could be as simple as Holdo subtly flirting with another women, or a quick mention of her having a wife/GF, or something like that. Nothing that needs to take up large amounts of screentime, but a nice nod.

Also Han not being in Bloodline would have made zero sense. No way that he'd have not been there for her when she was going through that.

Although I cannot say that I'm totally surprised since in the ST it appears that the mantra is "the OT Big Three fell apart after Ben's fall, scattered, and just don't communicate with each other and are all miserable."

I'm sensing a pattern here.

10. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

11. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Maybe they just... drifted apart? Han's already bumming around with his racing teams and legit business ventures, while Leia kicks off the Resistance. Nothing flashy or dramatic, they just stop talking to each other.

12. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    TFA already kind of tells us what it was. Han felt like Leia wouldn't want to see him because he'd remind her too much of their son and it'd be too painfully. So he just stopped coming home.

As it turned out, he was wrong about that of course.

13. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeah, I thought it was made clear in the movie their falling out was over Ben going Dark. Which is why I don't want LFL to do something like have them slowly drift apart before that.

All right, so I need some help - I haven't read like ANY of the SW comics since Marvel took over. I've been told there's actually quite a lot of good Han/Leia/Luke stuff in them. My question is, is there anyway to get like a bound copy of ALL the issues they put out in a year instead of having to buy like 20 separate stories? Because I don't even know which stories to buy at this point. If not what's the easiest way to get all the ANH-ESB comics in as fewest amazon shipments as possible?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Your best bet is to get the trade paperbacks. If you're just getting the mainline Star Wars series, that should bring you down to three or four books.

unicorn likes this.
  15. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

Thanks! Sorry to bug you again but what are the names of the trade paperbacks? I tried searching in amazon and it came up with a million books.

Also on the book:

Is it not awesome that this book passes the Bechdel test in almost every chapter? Loved reading Leia's relationship and friendship with Breha, Mon, and Amilyn. Now I'm really interested to see how her and Amilyn interact in TLJ.

16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    unicorn

Head to the Marvel thread in my sig, you'll find lots of help there - alternatively, is reading digitally an option? If so Marvel Unlimited might be the most cost-effective option, particularly given how erratic the handling of Han and Leia is. Currently, it seems to be improving but there's been major shifts along the way.

unicorn likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the mainline series:

1: Skywalker Strikes
    2: Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon
    3: Vader Down
    4: Rebel Jail
    5: Last Flight of the Harbinger
    6: Yoda's Secret War

Jedi Knight Fett and unicorn like this.
  18. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    Pablo Hidalgo said that Han and Leia was just a busy couple but they were still living together during Bloodline time. I think Claudia needed to keep Han busy during the book to focus in Leia as a politican, not too much as a wife/sister/mother.

Shara Bey was other very busy married person (she and her husband ~Kes Dameron~ were rebels and their little son Poe was living with Shara's dad, unfortunately she died still when Poe was a kid). And there was Breha (a queen) and Bail (an important politician and he was working with the Rebellion)... Everybody is busy in star wars universe lol

LoveThis, coervus and unicorn like this.
  19. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    If would seem that no matter which universe (EU or Disney), Han and Leia just doesn't spend much time with their kids.
    Which is unfortunate.

20. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

Thanks! Does that include the Princess Leia series? Having just finished Princess Leia of Alderaan, that's the one I want to read the most.
    Although that last line in the book, ouch. Rip my heart out why don't you Claudia?

Jedi Jessy,
    That's one thing I really liked about Princess Leia of Alderaan, she shows a successful two career marriage even though Bail is off planet half the time, just like she did with Han and Leia in Bloodline. Power couples for the win!

Jedi Ben and Jedi Jessy like this.
  21. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    We don't know that yet, as far as the new canon goes. People are quick to blame Han and Leia for how Ben turned out but his childhood has yet to be covered by the new canon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Princess Leia is a standalone and not necessary to the main plot - though I found it a good read. A distinct lack of Luke and Han - but that means Leia doesn't get to treat them badly.

The first few Darth Vader comic books (Vader, Shadows & Secrets, The Shu-Toran War, and End of Games), while not necessary to enjoy the main plot, do provide some context - Aphra and the droids are met by the Heroes of Yavin in Vader Down, but the Vader books provide more on them - they're basically secondary protagonists.

Vader Down is basically a crossover between the Vader series and the main one.

Jedi Knight Fett and unicorn like this.
  23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    While it started off on shaky ground, the Han Solo mini got quite a lot of positive comments.

There'll be a Volume 7 Star Wars trade that finishes Aaron's run.

Volume 8 will be the start of Gillen's run.

unicorn likes this.
  24. MartyAvidianus

May 14, 2017
    shudders.
    The series will set you back about 200 dollars...

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Nah, not if Unicorn's smart on where she buys from, especially if she goes the digital route.

unicorn - Check out @Stymi's Marvel Unlimited thread if the digital route is an option for you - it'll be far, far cheaper.

unicorn likes this.