main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Han and Leia in the EU - A Discussion Thread (Life Debt spoilers must be tagged)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by unicorn, Feb 10, 2016.

1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks, I'll do that!

I also heard after the initial few issues, the Han/Leia/Sana/Alpha gets pretty good so I want to pick that up as well.

2. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    If you're gonna go for the comics, i'd say you should also get the Lando series, the Maul series, Shattered Empire, and the Anakin & Obi-Wan series. They're all either good or relevant to other stories.

unicorn likes this.
  3. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I believe that first starts in Rebel Jail, then picks up in the Screaming Citadel crossover between Star Wars and Doctor Aphra - the crossover got very, very mixed reception - which is after the first arc of Aphra's book and Volume 6 of Star Wars.

unicorn likes this.
  4. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Sounds good! Also impressed that Marvel seems to be doing a way better job with diversity of WOC with Sana and Dr. Alpha.

Apparently people on tumblr are now saying Rey is going to be Leia's secret grandchild with her boyfriend Kier in the new Leia book. LOL, will people ever stop trying to tie Rey's lineage to the expanded universe? Remember when everyone was saying Finn was Han and Sana's son?

5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah, it's another variation on the new material doing a lot of good things and then being really weird on H&L.

6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Someone just pointed out to me that the lock of hair Leia keeps of Kier is referenced in Bloodline when Leia gets her keepsake box! I didn't notice this at all, so I'm going to have to give Bloodline a re-read when I get back home.

EDIT: Okay found it - it's in Chapter 19 when Lady Carise finds Leia's keepsake box. I wonder if Claudia Gray had the backstory for Leia planned before she wrote Bloodline or she retroactively put an explanation for it in?

7. MikeF

MikeF Jedi Knight

Aug 28, 2013
    If purchasing is cost-prohibitive - even going the digital route - don't forget to check your local library system if that's an option. I've been very pleasantly surprised my local library system has every trade paperback of the "new canon" that's been released except for one (a Darth Maul one). I'm not a comic collector and I've really been looking to cut down on similar purchases, so my library having pretty much everything has been fantastic.

unicorn and Loth-cat like this.
  8. Loth-cat

Loth-cat Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2017

I am VERY glad to know this!!! I have been avoiding the SW comics completely because I do noooooot have the money to shell out to keep up with the stories. I guess I haven't been to the library in so long, I didn't realize they carried comics! Going to go search online on our library's system right now. Thanks!

9. MikeF

MikeF Jedi Knight

Aug 28, 2013
    You're welcome. I was in the same boat, trying to decide if I wanted to make the investment in keeping up with the various series. I knew my library system had some graphic novels, so I took a shot at it having trade paperbacks. The system has a pretty large collection of trade paperbacks; I've read a number of titles that way.

unicorn and Loth-cat like this.
  10. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks for the recs guys!

https://twitter.com/bookwarspod/status/904813915800047616 If you like podcasts, apparently Episodes 4-8 talk about Bloodline and Han/Leia.

But LFL seriously had a panelist say Ben Solo was a child of divorce? The panelist couldn't even take five minutes to look up wookieepedia? LOL

11. Claire1976

Claire1976 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 20, 2013
    Have you listened to those unicorn? Are they good? I will try and listen when I have a free minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    No I haven't had a chance to yet, all my podcast time has been taken up with Pod Save America this week haha.

Here's a pretty thorough review of the book by a Leia lover:

https://www.thefandomentals.com/leias-journey-rebel-leader/

I find it funny that some people were upset Leia hooked up Kier instead of having a romantic relationship with Amilyn. I haven't seen that reaction yet but I heard other people referring
    to it on Tumblr.

Also I didn't pick up Kier being not white until I saw Claudia's tweet that she cast Rami Malek in the role.

13. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Spoilers for PLOA and Rebel Rising:

I'm reading Rebel Rising and a lot of the coming of age parts are similar to Princess Leia of Alderaan. Like, coming into her own and out of her parent/guardian's shadows, gets shut out (in Jyn's case, dumped) around 16 by her parents/guardian, falls in love for the first time and then has their first boyfriend die tragically in front of them, then ends the novel with a renewed sense of purpose having found themselves. LOL, though doesn't anyone just break up in Star Wars? Great book so far though. I know the author Beth Revis is a huge Leia fan and I'd love to see her tackle Leia at some point in the novels (though I am also cool with Claudia getting every single Leia novel from here on in too haha).

On a random note, I find it interesting all the doomed love interests (Kier, Hadder, Nakari) are all POC. I saw some criticism on Tumblr that Disney keeps killing off POC, but on the other hand all the love interests were doomed from the moment they were conceived since Leia/Jyn/Luke are single when we meet them/in ESB so I think Disney is just trying to be more diverse.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    First, are you following an author's words out of book as canon? ie When Claudia Gray says Kier is based on Mr. Malek, Kier looks like Mr. Malek is canon for you? If I say Kier is white for me, is that going to be a problem?

Second, I guess they could have made some former SO for the big three survive, but then I guess they don't want to send a message that the big three dumps people. [face_thinking]

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If the author says Kier is a POC, then Kier is a POC. Period. Full stop. And yes, it absolutely is a problem if one of us random fans says "But I want Kier to be white. Not to mention that the reason why Kier must be white in the head-canon of a fan instead of a POC, as the author says, would be problematic in and of itself.

And I'm sure Leia dumped a lot of people.

16. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    But Leia and I were so cute together. :(

17. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    Also, in the book he's clearly described the same way Bail and Breha are (golden skin), and Bail and Breha are Latinx. I get the impression that's common on Alderaan.

As for not dumping people, I think the authors probably want to avoid complications of some EU author in the future having the former SO appear later on and complicating their current relationship. Though I guess in Jyn's case it wouldn't have mattered....

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    re: the Organa family (pulling it out of spoiler tags bc I'm not discussing the book), I have to note that I really appreciated that SWTOR took the effort to largely make the Organa family POC (and many other Alderaanians too, including the then-royal family of Panteer).

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    I'd like to jump on this opportunity to precise, before it comes up in the diversity thread, that I changed Breha, Kier, and Ress Batten's skin color in their WP infoboxes to "golden tan" to match what's said in the book and better reflect their implied ethnicity. (In some cases, it's just given as "golden", but writing it like that might have given the impression that they were Nothoiins, with skin that's actually deep yellow).

Oh, and for sth completely different, the covers of Brazilian editions keep being gorgeous:
    [​IMG]

Jedi Jessy and unicorn like this.
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Legacy of Blood is so much more metal than Bloodline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigAl6ft6, MattOrgana and Jedi Ben like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's also the name of a Diablo universe novel in which the protagonist has to contend with being descended from an evil warlord, which is kind of appropriate.

Jedi Knight Fett and Daneira like this.
  22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Does Leia actually sleep with him in the novel?

23. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

Sort of implied, but never explicitly stated. I think the hairpins were supposed to be a metaphor for sex.

Either way, there's no way Rey is going to be the granddaughter of a teen pregnancy.

That Bloodline cover is gorgeous! Though Leia looks kind of....evil Imperialish on the cover? If I didn't know the story, I would have thought the book was about Leia joining the Empire lol.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    True (they kind of did the same thing with Jyn and her BF in Rebel Rising actually). But it still doesn't explain Leia's attitude towards Rey in TFA either.

25. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001
    I was on a discussion in another forum that some people were upset sex was implied in a SW YA Book. But that kind of seems to be the norm now? Lost Stars, Rebel Rising, etc. Anyway, in both Leia and Jyn's cases I doubt a 10-12 year old would pick up on what was going on.