main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Carrie Fisher (Leia Organa) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by MattOrgana, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    In that sense, perhaps bringing Rian back would be the best move? He had profound respect for Carrie and Leia and wrote with her too. If anyone understands Leia now and the impact she had on the remaining characters, it would be him. If LFL are smart, they'll hire him again and push back the release as the constant director in and outs is sort of proving a Star Wars film a year may not be such a good idea.

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I agree and even if I may not be 100% happy with the direction TLJ takes, but with the almost impossible task of closing Leia's arc in IX, Rian is just miles in front of any director who never worked with Carrie on a Star Wars movie.

jaqen, Master_Lok and MattOrgana like this.
  3. MattOrgana

MattOrgana Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2015
    #Johnson2019 :leia:

[​IMG]

4. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Trevorrow has always said he wanted Leia to be the focus of the final film, probably because of the more powerful dynamic of a Mother - Son showdown. I feel that KK and LFL would prefer the focus on the younger characters, they see Luke and Leia's time has past and it's time to move on.

5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

While I'm not shedding tears over Colin's exit, it's only fair to note that he, very early on, was the only person in the production publicly stating how important it was to see more of Leia and Luke in IX. He wanted to explore the humanity and depth behind the icons, something I greatly appreciated hearing, particularly after TFA only slotted Luke in for a cameo and Leia in small supporting role.

I still haven't cracked open my copy of Bloodline yet. But it really sound like Claudia Gray is the quintessential Leia writer. I hope they continue to release Leia centric novels detailing various periods of her life. And while I know I'm hoping against hope, it leaves me wishing they'd let Leia live so Claudia can continue exploring her live post ST.

Heck, unconventional as it is, perhaps the best solution to the Carrie dilemma is to leave Leia's fate up to a novel and just market the hell out of it as the sole, canon Leia wrap up.

Claire1976 and MattOrgana like this.
  6. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Since you grew up a “Star Wars” fan, were you intimidated to work with longtime franchise stars like Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher?
    It took a while before I could sit across the table with Mark and not, every three seconds, think, I’m talking to Luke Skywalker. With Carrie, I felt we connected as writers very quickly. She spoke her mind, man. They both did. Anyone whose life is that weirdly tied to a character like this, where you drop a script in their lap and say, “Now it’s this,” there’s no way it’s not a discussion. But they were both so engaged in the process, and trusting. The fact that both of them at some point said, “O.K., even if this isn’t what I was expecting, I’m going to trust you” — that was really touching.

Ms. Fisher died shortly after she finished filming. How did you absorb this tragedy? Did you feel as if you had to alter the movie?
    When she passed away, we were pretty deep into postproduction. When we came back to the edit room after New Year’s, it was so hard. We went through all her scenes. I felt very strongly that we don’t try to change her performance. We don’t adjust what happens to her in this movie. Emotionally, you can’t help recontextualize it, now that she’s gone. It’s almost eerie how there are scenes that have an emotional resonance and a meaning, especially now. She gives a beautiful and complete performance in this film.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/06/movies/star-wars-the-last-jedi-director-rian-johnson.html

wobbits, Master_Lok and MattOrgana like this.
  8. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    As much as I really want to see a Leia/Kylo scene, if one isn't included on this trilogy due to Carrie's passing I still don't think it's grounds for a recast.

If watching the saga from top to bottom there isn't a single scene between Leia and her biological father. When you really think about it that's just unreal.

Never in a million years did I, or many people, imagine we'd never get a reunion between Han, Leia and Luke. Nope on that front too.

The series moves forward regardless. They'll have to find a way to have Leia impact Kylo even without a confrontation scene between them.

wobbits and MattOrgana like this.
  9. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    The thing about a Luke, Han and Leia reunion we could still sort of get one if we see a flashback of the day all three were together and said their goodbyes in the Last Jedi.

I know Harrison hasn't been listed as being in the film but that's what secret cameos are for. You could also argue he wouldn't do it after wanting to be done after TFA but it'd be only for one scene. He would have been there for an hour tops maybe slightly longer but definitely not long enough to where it would take up a lengthy amount of his time.

It would give us what we wanted in a sense while also holding a lot of meaning because of what it represents and also the fact that Carrie is no longer with us. Rian did say there are some scenes that do have more meaning and emotional resonance now looking at them because of her death. But again we just don't know yet.

MattOrgana and jaqen like this.
  10. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    What’s interesting is that when you get Carrie going she still remembers all the lines from the old films - Oscar Isaac.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

http://swnews.tumblr.com/

wobbits, Master_Lok and nightangel like this.
  11. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Should we have a poll thread for how Leia will be dealt with in Episode 9? The options seem to be these:

1. Recast and continue with the "new" Leia in charge of the Resistance and a large role in 9.

2. Recast/CG combo to have "Carrie" as Leia in a very brief cameo such as her saying goodbye to Luke before going on a mission.

3. Use existing footage/outtakes/ADR and minor CG to piece together a brief appearance of Carrie as Leia.

4. Use existing footage/outtakes/TFA/TLJ scenes and minor CG to place Carrie as Leia into a Force vision or dream sequence.

5. It's explained that Leia died between 8 and 9.

6. It's explained that Leia is on another mission for the Resistance across the galaxy but she's alive and well.

7. It's explained that Leia was taken prisoner and being held captive by the First Order (story thread to be cleared up in a later episode).

8. A stand-in/makeup/model/CG is used to show Leia in a state of unconsciousness/carbonite freezing/or similar, etc, she's in medical peril but surrounded by her friends in the Resistance.

9. Leia is not in Episode 9 and is not mentioned at all.

12. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    I think we should wait until after TLJ.

Claire1976, wobbits and Master_Lok like this.
  13. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    Good idea. No matter what they say, I feel like Carrie's tragic death simply must have had some effect on TLJ, even if minor. Rian edited the film after her passing so maybe he made choices he wouldn't have with her scenes had she still been with us. Maybe some of her footage got trimmed or cut and saved for 9.

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    '

Thanks for posting these comments. I generally do not read the Times until later in the month due to the 5 free articles limit.

jaqen likes this.
  15. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    3 & 6 (not opposed to 2 but i don't think it will happen)

16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    There was talk about Leia/Anakin lack of interaction in the Hayden thread. There are those who are convinced that it will never happen because Vader tortured Leia and Han and as a result Leia has PTSD. The only problem with that theory is that if they were to do a scene at this point it would be Anakin, redeemed Anakin FG talking to his daughter for the very first time ever not the Vader mask. ( I get goosebumps thinking about this. If it happens in the movie I will bawl like a baby.)

Lately I have gotten really emotional about this. Especially after reading both the new Leia book and Bloodline in the same weekend. There is a very tense scene in the new Leia book that takes place on Naboo with someone who figures out whose daughter she is at the age of 16! Then in Bloodline there is an excerpt that discusses how Leia wonders if something along the lines of trying to save someone is what made Anakin turn. Something happens to her in the book that makes her begin to explore that idea.

The rumors about the Anakin FG appearance lately have mentioned that Anakin talks about his love for Padme and according to the article this scene packs a punch like nothing ever before. I can't imagine anything more emotional than Leia hearing from her father how excited he was to be a Dad and how he loved her mother and that he wanted to save her from the death he thought he saw in his visions. I am trying to find the article link right now. Will edit when I stumble across it again.

Maybe I am being to sentimental over this whole thing but the films are about family. Leia and Anakin are family.

ETA: Link added

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainm...h-Vader-Hayden-Christensen-Last-Jedi-theories

KSennia, jaqen and MattOrgana like this.
  17. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015
    We should wait until after TLJ to have a poll on that, but I'd like to address each possibility.

1. No way. And I think Lucasfilm made it quite clear with their "There's no Leia without Carrie" statement, that a recast for IX isn't going to happen. Also, I think it'd throw a lot of people out of the movie if a Leia who looks nothing like Leia suddenly appears on screen in IX.

2. I think that's a possibility. And I'd be okay with it, as it'd leave the door open for books about Leia, taking place after IX.

3. That's my favorite option. Keep Leia alive, but reduce her on screen time as much as possible. The movie can still be Leia-centric, without her appearing too much (everyone talked about Luke in TFA, but he only had a 30-second cameo at the end).

4. I'd be okay with that. If the movie can't focus on Leia alive as was the original plan, it should at least focus on how her loss/absence affect everything else.

5. I also think that's a possibility. It just that I don't want to see Leia dying, though I fully accept that might happen (or will most likely happen). As long as the movie is still focused on Leia, through her legacy, I'll be okay with it.

6. Again, another real possibility, though I feel it'd be too close to real life. And again, make it about Leia's legacy, and how her death affects the plot and the characters.

7. I don't know. I want some resolution to Leia's story in IX, be it life or death.

8. Please, no. That'd way too close to what happened in real life, and very disturbing and creepy. Imagine Carrie's family having to watch that.

9. I think that's impossible.

Claire1976 and jaqen like this.
  18. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Good grief, we're back to speculation in the CT thread that Leia wasn't really suppose to have a large part in IX. They were just humoring Carrie. Ugh.

DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  19. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    :( I do not think Katherine Kennedy would allow that.

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

This BS continues, even after it's been confirmed that Carrie has a much bigger role in TLJ. And then drugs were brought up. Even in death this bull goes on and on.

DaddlerTheDalek and MattOrgana like this.
  21. MattOrgana

Oct 7, 2015

I can't say I'm surprised.

Kathleen Kennedy had no reason to tell in the Vanity Fair interview that Leia was supposed to be front and center in IX if that wasn't true. She could simply say that Carrie was great in TLJ and they cound't wait to work with her again in IX.

Not to mention the clear pattern the ST movies are following: TFA was Han's, TLJ will be Luke's. IX would be Leia's. And I hope they'll find a way to make it about her legacy.

Claire1976, DaddlerTheDalek and jaqen like this.
  22. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    And it will likely continue for some. Unfortunate; but we can continue to celebrate Leia in this thread and Carrie's perf too. :)

jaqen likes this.
  23. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    10. Leia fakes her death, and she's absent for a lot of the movie, but she later turns out to have gone undercover, Boushh-style. A mysterious masked Resistance ally appears throughout the movie and is revealed in the end to be Leia. We could get an unmasking using some repurposed Carrie footage/CGI, though it could be more powerful if it's just implied that it's her.

24. TheLateAdmiralPiett

TheLateAdmiralPiett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 1, 2004
    I'm still convinced they're going to use existing footage and whatnot to piece something together for her in IX.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  25. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    If they do anything, I think the existing footage would be most respectful and probably work the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.