main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Andy Serkis (Supreme Leader Snoke) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by dlbates, Dec 20, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012

Claiming false equivalence is easy. It doesn't make it true. Explain your logic.

2. RyanjohnN

RyanjohnN Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 10, 2017
    Sure, not that it hasn't been explained by people a million times already.

Palpatine was first, there was an Empire and he was the leader. Simple, and at the time that's all that was needed. There was nothing to compare him to.

Snoke is now the leader of a reformed version of that Empire. We know the Empire was overthrown and the Emperor killed. So now the Empire is back (as the First Order) with a new shadowy figure leading it. There needs to be an explanation, because unlike in Palpatine's case, we know now of what came before and what happened.

Therefore Palpatine and Snoke are not equivalent with eachother.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

3. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    The Emperor was so well defined with little screen time because the Empire and Vader were so well defined in the OT.

The Emperor and Empire is in complete control therefore it's easy to assume the Emperor's goal is to maintain control and eliminate all challengers (i.e. Rebels and Luke).

Snoke leads the FO who's ultimate motives and position of power within the galaxy are not as well defined in TFA at least, and they are in the wake of the Empire, and Snoke's #2 is Kylo, who is equally not as defined in stark terms as Vader was in ANH.

So, yes, there appears to be more need to explain Snoke and his motives more than there was need to do the same with the Emperor.

Tommytom, lawton and RyanjohnN like this.
  4. Noir Deux

Noir Deux Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 27, 2015
    I think that the problem is that since TFA we thought that Snoke was the main villain, when in fact it could be that he’s only an intermediary and the main villain of the trilogy is Kylo.

Think about Snoke in TLJ as Count Dooku in AOTC where we was up close and personal, but what if Snoke gets dispatched like a flie in the first minutes or first act of E9? Yeah, because of him Kylo became a villain but I think that we should focus on Kylo as the bad guy and see Snoke as a link between plots, I guess we will see this more clearly with TLJ.

5. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015
    I never thought that. I assumed like many he was just the most powerful force wise but Kylo was definitely the main bad guy just like Vader. I dont think he is anything like Dooku because his title is Supreme Leader.

6. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015
    New image from Snoke.... intimidating!

[​IMG]

7. ManWithoutAStar

ManWithoutAStar Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 19, 2017
    One ugly moth........

Darth Smurf likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    he looks so miserable and mean. he's like that caricature of a grumpy elderly person whose only pleasure in life is being mean to children and putting a stop to whatever fun game they are playing because they are too loud or accidentally threw a ball in his backyard.

9. KamNale

KamNale Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2012
    See this is why I love Snoke. He's a bad mofo with a look that will kill. He's pimping it with his gigantic Mega Destroyer and his gold robes. It took Palpatine years to take control of the Republic. Snoke blew it up. I hope we see him do some damage to the heroes...or Hux and Kylo for their failures.

10. Orochi Oni

Orochi Oni Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 8, 2013
    I'm still of the opinion that Hux won't survive his visit to Snoke.

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  11. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    At that angle, the nose is 100% this:
    [​IMG]

Chained Prometheus, oncafar and Xael like this.
  12. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    The thing about Snoke is that it's not so much that HE needs a backstory as that it feels that the rise of a new, equivalent threat as the empire is kind of being fudged quite a bit, and that for full investment in the stakes it does need to feel like the first order deserved to rise, there needs to be something to show how the rebels we rooted for in the OT were blindsided. I'm sure we'll get it, but there is also a chance that they may just stay with it being vague. I hope we get more context, but I'd be amazed if we don't get it through Luke and Leia

13. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    that's a face only a mother could love. cause he looks like he got beaten with an ugly stick.

14. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    He looks angry.

15. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i'm stll of the opinion that hux totally will survive that. :D

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    The Starkiller blindsiding the Republic isn't sufficient?

17. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    This has been my mindset, entirely. While it is all well and good to spout off about "Show, Don't Tell" filmmaking, we might be toeing trepidatiously close to "Didn't Show OR Tell" filmmaking.

18. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    He's going to be revealed to be Vader. We all know it's coming.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Can't be. Vader is dead and Snoke is new. ;)

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, they certainly have you fooled...

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    they told us snoke wasn't human! liars!

22. aprilstarwars73

aprilstarwars73 Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2017
    Lol

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Maybe he had a bad childhood. Let's hope he gets redeemed. We should all relate to him.

24. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It would have been, had that been the first anyone knew of the First Order. But the First Order already comes with context - we're told that this group, risen from the ashes of the empire rose in the intervening years, but aren't shown how it was allowed to do so. We are told that Snoke manipulated Han/Leia's son. The fact that the new villainous faction is so reminiscent of the old one is the problem here, not in the way it's often used (i don't have a problem with the aesthetic at all) . Again, at this point I'm not too worried because Luke's backstory will almost certainly do some of this heavy lifting and exposition. There's just still the slight chance that since TFA got away with it, the next two will focus on the story at hand and hand wave the context.
    It *could* be the first time that reading novels or watching tv shows will be neccesary to fully understand the story (in a wider context, anyway. Not in a "why did he do that?" way, just in a "this story isn't telling us anything about where the First Order came from "

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    He should be after what happened on the Starkiller.

We haven't heard or seen Palpatine's reaction immediately after the first DS blew up, have we?

DaddlerTheDalek and ZY-Fighter like this.