main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Ubiquitous Kybers

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by sheri1967, Sep 6, 2017.

1. sheri1967

sheri1967 Jedi Master star 1

Jun 5, 2006
    Kyber Crystals are everywhere now.

Kylo has a cracked one

Luke is wearing a fragment of Vader's

The Kyber in the Skywalker light saber sang to Rey

Snoke's black ring is thought to be a black Kyber (like the Dark Saber???)

Would love to hear your theories about the Kybers and the role the corruption of them (bleeding) plays in the Force.

2. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    My inner Cockney is greatly amused by this thread title.

I will admit, I have long wondered why the "Kiber Crystal" is so named, given its name is one step removed from vulgarity.

EDIT: Realized it probably has to do with the innate heat of the Kiber Crystal, given its origins as as a One Ring-like plot MacGuffin in the 1975 second draft. LHOOQ, after all.

PS: I like the new "Kyber" spelling. Very Orwellian (in the Wigan Pier sense).

Note for the less well-read among us: "Khyber" is shortened Cockney rhyming slang for "Khyber Pass", that is, a-- or a--- (depending on US or UK English).

3. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006

Even though I am British, I never gave it much thought.

Nibelung likes this.
  4. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    BTW, sheri1967, I like the purple coverlet in your avatar. The color of porphyry. Makes a nice pedestal for the cat.

sheri1967 likes this.
  5. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Our cat Kylo thinks so as well

Back to Kyber Crystals, I am really excited to see their role in the new movie.

6. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Does the bleeding of the Kyber cement a dark sider's power? Would one be able to maintain the hate and anger without corrupting a Kyber?

What causes a Kyber to be black? Does it naturally occur or has something more dreadful than bleeding happened to it?

7. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    So it's been changed now to where Dark Siders corrupt a standard kyber crystal to make their lightsabers rather than make synthetic kyber crystals?

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Ubiquitous Kybers sounds like a character based on Furious Styles from Boyz n the Hood.

9. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Yes,

Read the lastest Vader comic vol 5 to see the bleeding process. This volume was amazing!!!

Kyber Crystals are everywhere. Rebels, Rogue One, Aftermath Books, new movie,

I wonder when people started bleeding them.
    Were the original Jedi long ago corrupting the Crystals. Was this why the Jedi order had all the dogma to try to prevent this or did the dogma itself cause the rise of dark side corruption?

10. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    I always thought that this new focus on Kyber crystals was kind of unnecessary and annoying. Until a few years ago the lightsaber crystals were just crystals. They were used to focus the blade and really nothing more. Now they "feel" the force and connect to the user, etc. Sounds like a lot of kiddie BS to me. Just my opinion.

kalzeth, EECHUUTA and Sarge like this.
  11. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    Issue #5 of the 2017 series that just came out yesterday?

12. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Yes it's the first time where we actually see a darksider corrupt a kyber crystal but the bleeding process was first mentioned in the Ahsoka novel from last year in which she also "heals" the crystals from the darkside's corruption.
    Personally I prefer it to synthetic crystals. Much more in line with the mystical side of SW to have living crystals who choose its rightful owner.

sheri1967 likes this.
  13. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Do you have any theories as to why they were made to be living in the new cannon?

14. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It all started with TCW season 5 in which we see younglings harvesting their kyber crystals to build their first lightsabers and to do they go to a specific planet. Then in the Utapau arc, Yoda said "Long ago in forgotten times, when the Sith and Jedi fought for control of the galaxy, weapons there were, of unimaginable power. Always at their heart, a kyber crystal was". The implication being that both Death Stars and SKB were powered by kyber crystals so it's not really new canon that started it.

15. SG-17

SG-17 Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2017
    Its a bit disappointing that they went that route in the new canon as its just a retread of the Loyal Phlebotinum trope.

16. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    Do you think they amplify the midichlorians?

17. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Do Kyber crystals operate with some type of collective consciousness ? and could this account for the massive shifts in the Force that seem to occur on a somewhat regular basis in the SW universe?

sheri1967 likes this.
  18. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    My thoughts:

I think that the corruption of the living force, i.e. the choice to bleed a Kyber Crystal results in a continuous feed back of hate and pain after the Kyber's true nature is altered.

The Kybers are being enslaved left and right.

For weapons - example the Death Stars and FO weapons
    Used to corrupt planets- Yupe had a mask with Red Kybers on before he was tossed into the planet's core

The decision to bleed a Kyber has led to no end of trouble and imbalance

"The choices you make and the actions you take"

PadawanGussin likes this.
  19. Nibelung

Apr 18, 2017
    Some interesting symbolism there.

The mediator between the Head and Hands must be the K(h)yber. :p

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Crystals, Kyber or otherwise, are not living. They are objects. Kyber crystals are used to create lightsabers. To find a crystal, one needs to connect with the Force in order to find theirs. The process to create a lightsaber is partially spiritual and meditative, where one needs to tune with the Force in order to focus the crystal for the construction to be complete and in working condition. Those using the dark side of the Force don't tune in a passive way, thus making the crystal 'bleed' and therefore originating a red-colored blade.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Legends, maybe.

In the newcanon, there's hints that, given the amount of organic matter within a kyber crystal, and its "behaviour" under certain circumstances, it may qualify as a life-form:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kyber_crystal

Jedi Knight Fett and sheri1967 like this.
  22. sheri1967

Jun 5, 2006
    New Cannon - They are know as living Crystals

In the Issues of the New Vader Comic series, Palpatine says the Crystals are living in their own way.

Iron_lord likes this.
  23. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    From a certain point of view. [face_whistling]

sheri1967 likes this.
  24. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    "living crystals"?

With midi-chlorians or else living within? And forever enslaved to do the will of their Jedi or Sith owner?

Now I understand Qui-Gon Jinn's statement in TPM, "I didn't come here to free slaves". Would have been a bit of a hypocritical attitude, if the opposite were true, considering what the Jedi and the Sith do to these poor crystals. :p

(I much prefer @Alexrd's explanation, why "fix" or retcon something that ain't broken?)

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    What the Sith do, maybe. For the Jedi, it's supposed to be a partnership - "the Crystal chooses the Jedi" (Star Wars version of "the wand chooses the wizard") :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.