main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Captain Phasma #1-4 (4/4 Released) [Journey to TLJ]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Diego Lucas, Apr 14, 2017.

1. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I don't know, I found the hyperbole grating. I prefer the art sell the issue, so to speak. YMMV.

2. She and Poe are the only characters who i like it from TFA
    I hope the comic is good

3. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    She said "explosion(s)" a lot lmao.

BigAl6ft6 and kalzeth like this.
  4. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    Thanks for the heads-up just picked up a copy and read it!

I do wish they explained how she got out of the trash compactor, but more interesting why did the Lt run?
    Is he a rebel spy?
    Or her co-pilot?

kalzeth likes this.
  5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Nice that Phasma, played by the blonde and blue-eyed Gwendoline Christie, decides to pin her own treason and cowardice on a character obviously coded as Hispanic, and summarily murder him to get away with it. Very topical.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  6. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I liked it a lot, but I too wonder how she escaped the trash compactor...

kalzeth and SilentGuy66 like this.
  7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh. What. Where did you get that from.

8. GatalentanKing

GatalentanKing Jedi Padawan

Oct 2, 2016
    Lol wat. This is a joke, right?

revan772 and SensationalSean like this.
  9. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008

this is borderline experimental

10. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    He wasn't running until she took a shot at him. Then with the knowledge that Phasma lowered the shields, he knows his life is forfeit.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  11. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I loved it, definitely better than the Star Wars Adventures book. I put that one back and kept this one. Nothing against IDW, but Dark Horse Star Wars Adventures was way better

12. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    I mean...

They have completely different target audiences, art styles, tones, etc...

tatooinesandworm and LelalMekha like this.
  13. tatooinesandworm

tatooinesandworm Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2015
    Alright, I love the direction this is going in. Almost a reverse "The Fugitive".

And I feel like such a traitor saying this, but the art, while BEAUTIFUL, was hard to follow in some panels. Also, not a fan of the big "BOOM" letting with art inside the letters. I know it's a style choice, just wasn't clicking with me. Hopefully the next couple issues are easier to follow.

Again - beautiful art. Just not a fan of the "camera angle" and implied motion between frames.

Sent from my Ornithopter using The Force

redxavier and spicer like this.
  14. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    So they have advertised it as 'how Phasma escaped the trash compactor' and they have actually not showed it ;(

Other than that I'm glad they have updated Falcon's antena on the cover! Small thing, but good they are paying attention in the end...

SilentGuy66 and kalzeth like this.
  15. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    In terms of the trash compactor:

The caption notes it's an "exterior wall" Phasma clambers through on the first page, which looks like it's been blasted or melted away. Since the Resistance is attacking, and there are explosions in the corridor she enters, I assume an explosion took a chunk out of the wall, letting her escape. Note the water still flowing out into the corridor, suggesting the blasted-away section hasn't been there for long.

BigAl6ft6 and spicer like this.
  16. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    I wish they revealed she blew the door from the inside demonstrating why she didn't struggle when they dropped her inside!

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  17. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    So this is all about Phasma covering her ass and trying to pin the blame on somone else? Now I'm ready to believe she's a Resistence double agent if she shoots Snoke in the head and blames it on somone else. It's somewhat a bit childish on her character's part really, although I blame that on Abrams for that scene where this really strict veteran soldier is easily intimidated to betray her organization. Without that nonsense scene we wouldn't have this 'explanation' for how she gets back. But aren't force users good at sensing lies or something? Ren should sense who actually messed up.

Art is quite beautiful though and I like the idea of her teaming up with a TIE pilot, but that's only because flying TIEs is my favourite part of the Empire in Battlefront II.

18. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Meh, you'd figure Finn and Han would have disarmed her first.

At least it makes her more of an individual than generic soldier doing her duty -- and really, how much loyalty is there among frothing fascists when real danger rears its head? She knows Starkiller Base is a lost cause. Besides, Kylo's a little busy at the time getting sliced up by Rey.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  19. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006
    How many ways are there to free yourself from inside a garbage dump when you're a Stormtrooper Commander?

20. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I wonder if the plan was always for Phasma to be a honourless backstabbing selfish coward or that's just the way she HAS to be portrayed in comics and novels from now on so her TFA actions make sense?

spicer likes this.
  21. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    I'd bet on the latter. But as long as it's executed well, it doesn't matter.

22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Fie upon that disgusting, honorless shrew! And to think she had the audacity to tell Terex the FO is better than the Empire!

23. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I think this Phasma is far more interesting than the one-dimensional fanatic we might have expected way back in the lead up to TFA.

24. Coherent Axe

Dec 20, 2016
    Well that's kinda the point, isn't it. They shout empty rhetoric until it's their life on the line. The officer who runs off in TFA is quite telling; he abandons ship once things start looking bad, trading rhetoric for pragmatism, and even assumes Hux's absence means he's legged it as well.

BigAl6ft6 and SilentGuy66 like this.
  25. Hopeless

Oct 28, 2006

That depends on what's really going on providing they actually thought this out properly and the odds of there being more than one Imperial Officer resembling what Phasma's actress really looks like?

That's why I keep asking what was she thinking when Brendol had her home world bombarded from orbit?
    I think she thought she knew what ruthless was then discovered just how low her new ally could go when such an action was utterly unnecessary.
    Please note had her brother not pursued her their home would have been destroyed as soon as Brendol reached his ship in orbit.
    The reason I keep thinking Frey is Rey is because then rather than Kylo Ren its Phasma who has the redemption arc making it clear her actions towards Finn wasn't an isolated affair she genuinely tried to train them to survive the fact she feels insuring they're self sufficient and not leave themselves vulnerable when the First Order turns on them rather than just spawning an army of monsters!

I'm getting more amused with the comic wishing they'd animate it!;)