main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by MrMojoRisin, May 19, 2017.

1. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Didn't see an existing thread for The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. Anyone else a fan of this?

christophero30 likes this.
  2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I liked Sean Patrick Flannery in it. I remember the one in the snow that Harrison appeared in.

3. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    Yeah, he did a great job. I always liked his teens/20's Indy over the 10 year old Indy.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm a fan. Still waiting for a Blu-ray release that's never going to happen.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  5. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005
    I really hope it does, but I doubt it too.

6. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015

The show uses to much SD stock footage for that to be feasible. Maybe if they did a Dragon Ball Kai type remastering where they blur the picture quality of the HD elements to blur together better with the non-HD elements. (Some Star Wars fan restorations have also used this technique)

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Huh?! The show was shot on 16 mm film (i.e: not SD). There's nothing preventing that show from having a Blu-ray release.

Anime =/= live action. Besides, what non-HD elements? That series was done on cel animation.

8. ZodaEX

Sep 27, 2015

While the original masters for the stock footage were in fact shot in HD, lots of George's elements used to make the series are not in HD. Kind of like how the original master elements of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers were all shot in High Definition, but weren't assembled and edited that way and lots of the reels have been discarded so it's not feasable to produce a HD version of the show.

9. Nibelung

Nibelung Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 18, 2017
    Kind of like how Star Trek TNG shot the live-action scenes on film but used video for compositing special effects. It was cheaper to do it that way back in the 1990s, so lots of shows followed that approach. Shortsighted with 25 years' hindsight, but there you go.

10. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    If Lucas was still in charge of LucasFilm he would remaster the series in HD for sure regardless of the time and money. I'm guessing Disney won't. Who knows maybe Lucas already created HD masters when he made the DVD sets.

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They weren't shot in HD, they were shot on film. And while there may be elements that are not in HD, that doesn't (and never has) prevented an HD release.

That's almost a certainty and I would put money on it. They were extensively remastered directly from the film prints.

12. ZodaEX

Sep 27, 2015

What do you mean by saying it's not HD because it was shot on film? I don't follow you're logic on that at all. As long as there is enough detail to resolve clarity up to at least 720P, then by today's standards it is HD. HD is defined by what the elements resolution resolves to, not if it's on film or digibetas, VHS, ect. Star Wars as seen in theaters back in 1977 was High Definition too. It just wasn't popular lingo to use back then.

13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's not high definition. It's film. You can transfer film to high definition video (even beyond it). But they are not the same.

14. ZodaEX

Sep 27, 2015

Most film is HD. When you get down to the 16mm and 8mm sizes and super aged prints it starts to become arguable whether is it high definition or not. However even by today's standards well preserved, quality 35mm film is factually considered HD and even Ultra HD level quality.

15. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    You can get HD resolution from 16mm film. Moonlight Kingdom is a recent example. American Graffiti is an older one. Film grain will depend on the film stock and on any post production grain removal process they may or may not use when creating a new master. The problem as mentioned already is that like Star Trek: The Next Generation and various other tv shows of that era is that Young Indy was shot on film but was probably editing on video tape. The original film elements can easily be scanned in High Definition but all the editing, special effects, composition, and post production work would need to be redone from scratch.

It's possible Lucas already did this but I don't know. If he didn't I don't see Disney doing it either. While it would be nice to have Young Indy on Blu-ray the DVD's are very nice and look great for SD.

16. MrMojoRisin

Jun 20, 2005

You do realize that film can be high def too right? Film isn't the same as digital, but HD can be on film or digital. Definition is based on resolution, not pixilation. 65mm film would be equal to about a 30-40 megapixel digital image.

17. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The first volume of the dvd set was released about 6 months before Crystal Skull hit theaters. That means if Disney is going to release this to help commemorate Indy 5 we would be due for an announcement very soon. Probably wont happen. Too bad. Robocop The Series is getting a blu ray release although I dont think it is true HD. Young Indy should get one as well.

18. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Could they at least include the Old Indy segments as a supplement? I liked those.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.