main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Boyega (Finn) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Momotaros, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG]

So since my choice is between your interpretation, and what the man who wrote and directed the film says....I'm going to go ahead and assume Finn continues to be a main character.

Here's what's going to happen, as more of Finn's backstory and growth are revealed he'll be marketed more. In fact you're already seeing the groundwork being laid for that in the films marketing and some of the side stories. Phasma get's her own book and comic book ahead of TLJ, and the rumor is Finn ends up defeating her battle along with these New Executioner Storm Troopers. Rian is likely using Phasma and The Troopers as a way to Show Finn's growing abilities. This time she's not getting surprised as Luke was with the Wompa, this is looking to be a straight up fight (her in heavy armor, him in an Officer's uniform) after she and the First Order put the Resistance and whatever remains of the Republic Military on the run. I mean they destroy Poe's X-Wing...that says alot about the kinds of challenges the characters will face. So they are taking the time to show people the kind of threat Phasma poses ahead of Finn taking her down. Now if the rumors hold true that means Finn wins a one-on-one fight against someone who spent years personally terrorizing him, and Rey loses her second fight against Kylo despite her training.

In the BTS footage we've seen Finn in a flight suit and yet...no toy of the same...almost as if showing that off might give something away. On the other hand we have Finn in an FO Uniform with a Riot Baton. We know what that means but the general audience is likely scratching their heads trying to work that one out. To me this shows signs that Finn really is going to show what he can do in the next film. The Riot Baton is something he's actually trained on, while the flight suit (and the Resistance Pod toy) suggest he'll have some skills as a pilot by films end. Tracking this trajectory suggest, to me, that by the end of Episode 9, Finn will have gotten the kind of character growth and change that Harrison Ford wanted for Han, and was frustrated he didn't get.

Master_Lok likes this.
  2. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Well said.

Pardon my butt in:

Interviewer questions, another good point. I do have a feeling Finn's arc is super spoiler filled though snd cerealbox (and many others here) made the point about the bait and switch regarding Finn (even though a tiny part of me still thinks he may be Force sensitive As Leia, Chirrut and possibly Baze have shown, you can be Force sensitive but not a force user.)

For me, great characters are the pull. I was immediately interested in Finn because stormtrooper defecting brings up all kinds of interesting storylines and conflicts both within and without; that's beside the fact that I like John.

I also liked Leia out of the gate and grew to enjoy Han too, so yeah, Star Wars touches upon many types of characters not just the super heroic (or villainous) Force users.

And Finn is definitely not irrelevant.

cerealbox and nightangel like this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    If Finn's arc is a combination of Obi-Wan's part in the PT (detective story and going undercover) and Lando's part in ROTJ, this would be best in my opinion.

cerealbox and Master_Lok like this.
  4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

..so, as it looks like now Episode 9 becomes a showdown between Luke, Finn and Maz vs. Snoke.
    Rey, Leia, Poe, Kylo, Hux, Chewie .... all dead obviously

Finn main protagonist confirmed

:p[face_party]

nightangel likes this.
  5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    wow, what a spoiler....[face_hypnotized]:p

6. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    And Rey buys the farm at some point in 8??

7. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Nope, put into a Coma via the force. Finn spends a portion of Episode 9 finding the ancient technique to help her pull out of it, while Rey battle her inner demons somewhere between the living and underworld of the force.

Darth Smurf likes this.
  8. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If all the information we have gotten from Entertainment Week and Vanity Fair, to discussions on stages at conventions, to revelations from toy merchandise or officially released photos, Finn has a MAJOR role to play in TLJ. Awakening from coma. Recovery. Getting hero treatment. Not wanting to be part of the Resistance. Meeting Rose. Being sent on a mission. Some form of interaction with Maz. The events of Canto Bight which includes an escape on a space horse and meeting DJ. Perhaps having to forgo DJ's advice. Going undercover in FO territory. Being captured. Taking on stormtroopers in hand-to-hand combat, including Phasma. Taking part of the battle on Crait. Learning to fly between all that time. Most likely joining the Resistance at the end.

The moments above are pretty much confirmed or strongly implied through rumors from legit sources. And there may be more. Can one really take in all of that and believe that Finn won't be one of THE major characters in the film? I don't see how. If Kylo has a bigger part or has a lot more going on than that then we must be looking at a 3 hour film. And I highly doubt that. I think in terms of the scheme of things Kylo could possibly have a bigger impact just by being the primary antagonist. But I think his story is not as much a separate one but one that ultimately falls under Rey's story in TLJ (is part of Rey's plot/storyline). The same goes for Luke. Obviously Luke is going to be a huge player in the film, so much so that Rian Johnson repeatedly points out that TLJ is primarily about Rey and Luke's relationship. However Luke's story falls under Rey's story. Or maybe it ends up that Rey winds up propping Luke's story. Could go either way. But Finn's story is his alone; its a separate storyline in TLJ. It could be the plot that fans and the media may not care as much about, the plot that people expect little from. But it is Finn's story nonetheless with Rose's part falling under his. A similar split occurred in ESB as everyone knows. The difference may be a smaller third storyline dealing with Poe and Leia. Perhaps Kylo ends up being a part of this storyline too.

So the worries of story may be unfounded. The larger problem lies with perception and favoritism. Yes, the media (in all of its increasingly varying forms) pays far less attention to Finn than it does Rey, Kylo and Luke. Granted Luke is going to get attention no mater what, but the question is is it a coincidence that the force users (or confirmed force users) monopolize so much of the fascination and speculation from fans and media folks alike when it comes to Star Wars? Of course not. As has been pointed out in the past that is one reason why some people wanted Finn to be force sensitive. They knew what was waiting for his character's popularity and interest if he was not.

But lack of interest and lack of promotion should not be an issue with the people making the movies or the person running the Star Wars franchise. Unfortunately, especially following the release of The Force awakens, TPTB have greatly decreased their public acknowledgement of Finn. They mostly talk about him as an aside. Even if its the media who are the ones inquiring more about Rey, Luke, Leia and Kylo, they never seem to stop them and remind them that Finn and other characters are playing a major part too. This is what so many of us have been vocal about for quite awhile but it has been to no avail. We made it known on this board that we were upset that the first poster had nothing of Finn at all only to be told by others that it was just a teaser poster. We were disappointed greatly that Finn barely made an appearance in the first trailer only to be greeted with brush offs about how it was only a teaser and that it was more important to establish Rey's story anyway. I myself found it shocking that TPTB didn't even think it was vital to include Finn's image in certain promotional displays at Celebration, on the poster and in the teaser trailer. But guess what? They were correct. It hasn't been vital. There has been no #Where'sFinn social media outbreaks. Back in the days of TFA Ridley and Boyega would come to the stage at the same time. Now, Boyega must wait until after Ridley gets her turn alone. Back in the TFA days Finn would get an EW cover? Now? Not so much. As a result of all of that I can understand why some would overreact to the recent Rian Johnson interview (and yes I do feel it was an overreaction). But a reaction would not take place if TPTB actually seemed as if they outwardly cherished all of these characters instead of playing favorites. And while this next point may be better served in the Diversity forum, these routine overreactions wouldn't be repeating if that same TPTB were as publicly vocal about the pride they took in their commitment to racial diversity as they are routinely about gender diversity. TPTB of SW deserve kudos for actually doing a good job of broad representation on the hiring front (well, at least in the casting), but unfortunately they seem to loathe actually promoting and celebrating it.

Though I'm not wholly enthusiastic about The Last Jedi at this point and I will take a wait-and-see approach in particular in its handling of Finn, I still have read enough that I have high hopes for what Johnson will give us. That being sad this is the last shot the franchise has at making Finn a well-rounded and interesting character in my eyes. If we don't get such a turnaround in VIII I simply can't see it happening in IX.

A couple last points. If Adam Driver is truly the second lead then maybe he should be making appearances at Celebration rather than KK having Boyega be on-call for such situations. I know Driver is a "serious" actor who probably thinks he is above that type of stuff, but if he is the #2 character of the trilogy then he should be more magnanimous and take time out of his busy schedule to greet the common folk. That would free up Boyega's time at least.

Anyone who is making comparative predictions of Finn's upcoming role in TLJ to Lando's in RoTJ should know that Lando got roughly five minutes of screentime in that movie (I'm assuming what is being counted is not the length of the scenes he is in but instead the time his face is on screen). Therefor I'm guessing some of you simply don't realize just how small Lando's part was. So predicting something similar for Finn doesn't ease concern, it ratchets them up. Below is a link to a page of someoe who has gone about counting the seconds characters appear on screen in SW.

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls031379663/

9. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I particularly agree with this. I kind of find it hard to believe that J.J. who "likes" John wrote such a sidekick role for him in TFA. That Rian has to fix that (and give Finn, Rey, Poe and Kylo a serious shot of characterization and depth) , is quite the task. I commend him for talking with the actors and wanting to know their perspectives and where they would like to go. That give me a bit more confidence about TLJ and Finn.

NooThe, cerealbox and afrojedi like this.
  10. JoJoPenelli

JoJoPenelli Chosen One star 6

Aug 14, 2000
    Finn MUST become the "Stormtrooper Spartacus."

I don't know how, but if he does (and it's well-executed) he could bring peace to the halaxy more effectively than any Jedi.

I feel ENTITLED to this outcome. We are ALL entitled to this outcome.

Not to "Reysky." Not to "Luke Skywalker kicks butt."

To "Finn the Stormtrooper Spartacus."

MAKE IT HAPPEN LFL.

11. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Hmm, so Finn wakes up right after Poe's X-Wing is destroyed in the hanger?

Master_Lok likes this.
  12. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    From the first issue of Phasma: http://www.cinemablend.com/news/170...how-captain-phasma-survived-the-force-awakens

Oh I am going to enjoy it...if Finn presents evidence at his 'execution' that it was Phasma who dropped the shields....throwing everything into chaos and allowing him to escape, fight and defeat his enemies.

13. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    I actually like how much of a snake Phasma is turning out to be. Interesting approach. I hope it's reflected in the movie.

14. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    You know...if Finn picked up on this...saw Phasma for who she truly is (a Viper) that might explain some of his attitude and decisions. I mean the FO is holding her up as a symbol of their new order...and as shiny and chrome as she is on the exterior...she is rotten to the core.

15. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    Exactly. Finn might be aware of a regime that frames peers, murders superiors to get ahead, and executes unarmed prisoners all under the guise of prosperity for the galaxy and simply can't pretend anymore.

16. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Which also begs the question....how many people are like Phasma...or worse...and what will they do with all the equipment and training they have when Snoke and his First Order are gone....we could be seeing the birth of Rogue nations/warlords right now.

Addendum:

Whether this was planned....or Rian came up with this by himself...it's brillaint...and shows a willingness to subvert expectation. We all assumed that a person who took the time to memorize their Troopers designations was clearly a good person deep down. It never occurred to us that they'd do it...so they know who to stab in the back if the time came.

and for what it's worth, someone drew Cardinal:

[​IMG]

17. Han Drolo

Han Drolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 9, 2014
    I don't see why you guys are getting so upset, if anything we know for a fact Finn is the linchpin of the entire Resistance Vs First Order plot. He's at the Center of Canto Bight mission and The Supremacy infiltration. We've always known Rey, Ben and Finn were the three characters who we would follow in the sequel trilogy especially with how The Force Awakens climaxed and concluded.

If anything Rian's comments doesn't bode well for Poe's development who wasn't even supposed to survive TFA if not for Oscar being Oscar. He'll definitely have a little more to do moving forward with the unfortunate passing of Carrie but I think he and Rose will play largely supporting roles to the other three's arcs.

This just confirms what we've always known deep down. This is Rey, Kylo and Finn's story.

18. afrojedi

afrojedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 23, 2015
    Kylo is a Skywalker so of course he should have an enormous impact with the saga as a whole. KK's words cement this--and the uncle/nephew confrontation seems exciting. Unfortunately on the surface it seems that will not leave room for Finn to be entwined the way JJ left Kylo, Rey and Finn at the end of TFA; Luke rightfully displaces him. It just seems like there was a story brewing between Finn and Kylo as well and it's probably something we'll never get to see.

19. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014
    I love Luke and he is arguably the most important SW character of all time. But no there shouldn't be any "rightfully displacing" of Finn by him if this trilogy is, as they keep saying, about the new characters. Finn was the second lead in TFA. Why didn't Han "rightfully displace" him then? Kylo got 19 minutes of screentime in TFA to Finn's 30. Why would you expect Kylo toleapfrog him? Do you actually think Kylo is getting to get more onscreen time because I don't. If he does then I will write once more that Adam Driver should be the one leaving sets of movies he's filming to take the stage in front of fans rather than having Boyega do that as he did for the Creation event.

Also if it comes down to this being an obvious move because of the whole force sensitivity issue then can we finally put an end to the pretense argument that not having force abilities is a detriment to your importance in a story in which there are characters with those abilities?

Of course that may not be that big of a deal if this whole struggle is just the backdrop of a much more pivotal storyline about the conflict between force users. TPTB seem to be more inclined to talk about the latter than they are the former.

Troopa212 and cerealbox like this.
  20. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016

I don't think anyone on the Spoilers Allowed forum is seriously concerned that Finn will be reduced to 5 minutes of screentime. We know from leaks that Finn has scenes at every location other than Ach-to: D'Qar, Canto Bight, the Calamari Cruiser, Snoke's Supremacy, and Crait. It would be pretty hard to do that without an enormous amount of screentime.

The real concern is that Rian finds Finn less compelling than Kylo, Luke, or Rey, which might very well be reflected in how he writes the character. Kasdan has always been a big Han Solo fan and it shows in how he treats the character. If Rian is not all that interested in Finn, the character might come across as flat and one-dimensional onscreen, his arc might lack complexity, and his lines might not be as memorable as they could have been.

NooThe, afrojedi, Troopa212 and 3 others like this.
  21. Tatooine Twilight Twins

May 1, 2014
    Okay. Fair enough.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I sense something. A presence I haven't felt since...

[​IMG]

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  23. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Is anyone going as Finn for Halloween this year?

Speaking of which, weren't TFA costumes already listed by this time 2 years ago.

24. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    I think a case could be made that Finn was the lead in TFA....until Han Solo shows up. As soon as he showed up, all the focus shifted to Han and Finn became a supporting character. His dialogue decreased. His screentime decreased. My worry is more with IX than it is with TLJ. Finn will more than likely have a lot more scenes with Rey in IX, so Finn won't be leading his own plotline like he will in TLJ. Kylo Ren could very likely be given major screentime to flesh out his redemption arc. Luke is still around. That's two Skywalker's that Finn will be competing against if they all share scenes together. I truly believe Kylo Ren will be looked at as the male lead by fans once this trilogy is over. I have a strong feeling his screentime in IX will be dramatically increased to flesh out his return to Ben Solo.

afrojedi likes this.
  25. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    Pretty sure everyone is gonna be a Porg this year lol